NameSilo

Is it me or is the crypto domain thing just getting ridiculous ?

Labeled as discuss in Niche Domain Discussion started by NYJimbo, Sep 14, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator

Look at what is available and their appraisal values:

CryptoPrune.com
    [​IMG] Estimated Value: $1,412

CryptoSardine.com
    [​IMG] Estimated Value: $1,266

CryptoTangerine.com
    [​IMG] Estimated Value: $1,443

CryptoHemorrhoid.com
    [​IMG] Estimated Value: $1,311

This is why people are regging anything, the stupid appraisals make them think its worth something. :ROFL:

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TOP gTLD

TOP gTLD Established Member

Haha, pretty random, true... Downward curve seems rather steep too for major coins.

3. nicholas

nicholas Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

You're not the only one. Apparently, there's real coin to be mined (in the literal and crypto sense) when these appraisal sources realize they stand to profit from here until Tuesday if only they get their AI and machine learning act together (the real one, or learn the real thing if they have none of it in their faux estimation engines right now) and apply them to actual relevance in their valuations.

4. creataweb

creataweb Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Guess I need more crypto names eh?

5. alcy

alcy Active Member VIP

crypto isn't getting ridiculous
    but domain apparaisal tools of any and all kinds are ridiculous..
    and they always have been

for any/all names.. not just crypto

cheers

6. NYJimbo

I was gonna get CryptoHemorrhoid.com. If I only had a dollar ... :xf.frown:

7. domainwest

domainwest Active Member VIP

those ones are still decent

check out : CryptoPoo.com CryptoPee.com Cryptosh*t.com :tightlyclosedeyes:

8. creataweb

creataweb Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Instead of Taco Bell for dinner maybe I'll buy that for a dollar :cigar:

9. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2018 VIP

I am on record numerous times for saying that crypto domains will crash and burn. Only a few lucky domains will become the forerunners and thousands of crypto domains will drop when people realize there is no market for them. I said the same for vr and most other fad domains.

You have to look at how many crypto currencies there are in the world and there are a hundreds of thousands of crypto domains. They simply cannot all go into use and a lot of domainers will lose their shirts.

10. wot

wot Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

There is an auction of "quality" crypto domains currently going on at Sedo,you could pick up a few of those "gems" to pad out your portfolio.:xf.smile:

11. NameYourself

NameYourself Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

A trend is a trend.. they will go up, they will go down, you can play the waves for big returns or losses, OR play it safe, sit it out, and be sure to make nothing.

Anyone who buys names on automated appraisal tools alone probably shouldn't be investing in them in the first place. Gotta use common sense, CryptoHemorrhoids lol!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  12. namemarket

namemarket Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

A reason an appraisal tool can get those high values so wrong is that it's basing valuations to a degree on value of the separate words, with little regard for the term making sense or being commercially viable. This reminds me of someone here once offering BitcoinToffee.com for sale thinking one day a candy company may imprint the Bitcoin logo on its toffee.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

I think that in most of the popular niche's the number of domains speculatively registered is crazy. For example you can use this tool https://domainsurfer.app/ to readily find how many domains in just the APP extension have been registered with any keyword.

Just now I checked and here are how many APP extension domains currently registered in some popular keywords (remember these are only those with exactly that word included in the domain name, clearly there are more with associated words)
    • crypto 1017
    • blockchain 633
    • bitcoin 389
    Does the world really need that many app domains in these topics? I am pretty sure not!

Currently app sales have a median price of $1400. If we take even $14 as the per year cost, it means you must have a 1 in 100 chance of a sale in any year just to break even, not counting anything for your time and other costs.

Of course it is not just crypto, for example 631 hotel name app registered. Only 89 domain names with word Trump though!

I'd write more about too much speculative registration, but got to run hand register some more domain names right now! :xf.wink:

14. lock

lock Traffic.tools VIP

Yes but this is why domaining is fun so far 3 word chain domains are making at about 1k and people are spending 1k on their collection to never make up thier money with their one expected sale. I was so late even to look but found something way more generic thinking outside the box. "encrpytmoney"

15. karmaco

karmaco Active Member VIP

High appraisals because average sale at GD with Crypto in it is over 3 K. It’s all based on the word crypto. If people dumb enough to register Crypto Hemorroid well that’s on them. Literally 😂

PS Bet those are taken before the thread ends.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  16. Bob Hawkes

Yes, there is no doubt that crypto has sold frequently and at great prices - on NameBio over all venues so far 2018 YTD there are 314 sales in the .com extension and including word 'crypto' anywhere with an average sales price of $2000.

As has been pointed out by others, GoValue seems to base value of two word domain names by seeing how valuable each part is, and then somehow averaging. While there is logic in this approach, it clearly could, with a more sophisticated AI, do a better job of determining if the two parts make sense together. It has a similar problem with new extensions, where it treats most extensions as the same for valuation. So while the valuations that started the thread demonstrate this, it is a general problem too.

17. Bob Hawkes

BTW of the 4 names listed by OP, CryptoTangerine might well make at least a little sense as there is a major discount financial institution in Canada called Tangerine, and if they ever saw fit to set up an associated cryptocurrency segment, possibly they might like it, although I would be doubtful.

18. Windoms

Windoms Established Member

Perhaps sedo is having a crypto auction just to squeeze the last crypto dollars

19. mayazir

mayazir VirtualNameMarket.com VIP

Guys, talking about crypto names..
    What do you think about Cryptogizer?
    Worth to keep it?

20. sbweb

sbweb Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It's been ridiculous... a lot of them don't even make sense. Crypto + "any keyword" has been the formula. Unfortunately, imo, a lot of them won't sell in the aftermarket. I think there is still a strong market for good combinations that make sense.

21. Windoms

Windoms Established Member

Once the hype is gone only genuine crypto domains will remain

22. Coinking

Coinking Weedimo.com

Once Bitcoin ETF approved than crypto domains will boom

23. NYJimbo

Fixed it for you. :-P

24. Rick Ace

Rick Ace Active Member VIP

I'm not seeing the keyword crypto being useful for domain investors. I suppose, we will benefit from the crypto market in many ways, but that is likely to be indirect.

25. CryptoBison

CryptoBison Established Member

Good way to point that out. :xf.grin:

GoValue is only useful for their database sale records.

ETF doesn't do much, it's not even good for Crypto.
    It's just a pnd tool for mass media using it, did you see what happened to alts when that ETF stuff got mass public?

Way more interesting and what will cause an organic boom if implemented well is Bakkt which actually also makes the ETF looking even more like a joke.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: