Domain Empire

Is it legal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
is it legal for me to register for a name that content the word (time)

ex: jptime.net/come

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, but depends on what name it is. If you take f.ex: TheLandBeforeTime.com ~ TM issues due to that it's a movie.. but you can take: WhatTheBloodyTime.com :)

•••
time - no
TIMES - maybe, as it is a major newsletter trademark (New York Times, Washington Times, etc)

•••
What's your intent, abcde?

•••
I don't think the word Time by itself is trademarked. Times yes, but not time. I don't see how anyone can go after you for registering say, dvdtime.com or something like that.

•••
i'm thinking about register www.jptime.net and developing it as a news site in japanese. i dont know if i can do that. Cause there's www.time.com which is also a news site.

but then... there's also www.cntime.net

•••
•••
You should be fine. You're marketing to a different country and as long as your site and logo don't look similar to Time's site and print material where someone might be confused of affiliation, you shouldn't have any problems.

•••
abcde said:
i'm thinking about register www.jptime.net and developing it as a news site in japanese. i dont know if i can do that. Cause there's www.time.com which is also a news site.

one hint, never tell anyone what domain you are going to register, instead put this XXtime.net or **time.net becuase someone could register it and then offer to sell it to you for a high price

•••
You will have no TM problems...you can not trademark a widely used word such as time as it would not be fair to others. Time magazine YES! Time Online Edition Yes...Time NO!

•••
DN Tycoon said:
You will have no TM problems...you can not trademark a widely used word such as time as it would not be fair to others. Time magazine YES! Time Online Edition Yes...Time NO!

Nail in the head...

Regards,
Em

•••
abcde said:

I would say go for it. I don't believe that you will be chased down unless you have a very similar design to their site, or flagrantly copying something that they have. (besides the news :blink: )

Best of luck with the site, post in in the "Web Design Reviews" when you get it online!

-Steve

•••
It depends on what you decide to append to the word time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back