IT.COM

Is Guru.com Trademark name ? I have guru.com.pk and wants to use it

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OnlineDomainShop

ETHW.ComTop Member
Impact
Hi guys , I have copyright question with you guys , I have domain guru.com.pk , I want to build marketplace of Pakistani freelancers on it , is it violating guru.com TM ? Can they snatch that name easily ? Need help and suggestions .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Guru.com is a freelancer site since several years, at least 10.

To start a freelancing site on guru.com.pk would be misleading, as if you were affiliated with Guru.com. So I believe you may lose all your work if you build on this domain.

•••
There is a difference between copyright and trademark.

Does guru.com have a trademark?

•••
•••
It wouldn't be a trade mark otherwise dot guru wouldn't exist. You can buy anything you like dot guru.

•••
It wouldn't be a trade mark otherwise dot guru wouldn't exist. You can buy anything you like dot guru.
Can i use guru.com.pk as freelancing platform too ?

•••
I would hate to offer poor advice so only suggestion is to avoid breaching intellectual property also.

•••
Claim yourself to be guru of Pakistan and run some dot guru sites.

•••
There are more than 200 Trademarks exists for the term Guru.. I guess you might be Ok..

But it's better to Ask an IP lawyer.

•••
You cannot trademark "guru", not even Apple can deny companies to use "apple" in their name, unless there is a obvious product infrigement you won't have any problems.

•••
The guru word is generic so it's OK to use it in a different Niche than something that is well-known. Using it as a freelance site is begging for trouble. Stay away from this ONE niche and use it as you like.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back