IT.COM

Is GreatDomains selling itself short?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm kinda wondering if great domains is self destructive in terms of not accepting extremely valuable sights just because they dont fit into its self imposed mold? Surely money is money regardless of how many words are in a domain name, and true, it is their business, so they can do what they want.. but it just seems to me that not accepting a domain name simply because it contains two words is stupid in a business sense.

example:

Nissan.com would be accepted, anyone turning that down would be fool hardy. But how about NissanDriven.com? If I owned NissanDriven 5 years ago and sold it to Nissan Motors, greatdomains would have lost THOUSANDS in commision fees. Very stupid in anyones book.

I just don't understand a business model that turns down money, it makes no sense whatsoever.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's what makes them unique among other brokers... that's the way their *branding* is well known for... all one-word generics non other than that. It's their own *OLD* style and lets leave it to them.

•••
I had some unprofessional interaction with Great Domains and swore I would never use them again. I agree Lee, they do make money but not as much as they could.

•••
same here Acts, I refuse to deal with them on any level, as a buyer OR seller.

they just dont respect anyone other than those they feel worthy of their respect (read:$$$)

•••
the fact is that nissan wouldn't buy NissanDriven.com.

They would register it or take it via URDP.

So it's useless for GreatDomains to list such a name.

It's not worth anything imho.

Nissan.com would attempted to be sold as a generic domain, so they would list it most likely yeah.

•••
Exactly ~

netPH said:
That's what makes them unique among other brokers... that's the way their *branding* is well known for... all one-word generics non other than that. It's their own *OLD* style and lets leave it to them.

If it works - Why fix it ? They have made it work for them and You kind of have to Give them Credit for Holding their own through Some of the Bad years Behind us .... If you only deal with Top Rated Domains - People will associate you with that .... IMO ~

•••
ack nametower, i hate when people over analuze an example lol.

keep focus bro :), it may have not been a perfect example, but you see the point.

HDtv.com would "officially" be a two word/two term domain, so perhaps thats a better example to use. for them to ignore a domain like that would be fool hardy imo. all it would do is cost them money in commisions.

I see your point all4, but to me, there is no excuse to turn down a profit. It's just a bad business practice.

I can understand not accepting www.BigCars.com or someting equally stupid...but a quality two worder just doesnt make sense.... not if it can bring big bucks.

two words does not a bad or low cost domain name make.

DailyNews.com
AirConditioner.com
LawnCare.com

there are so many domains like these worth $XX,XXX its not even funny. and they arent qualified... just stupid imo.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back