IT.COM

Is extention so important ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Wilfredo

Internet EntrepreneurEstablished Member
Impact
Is extention so important ?

Would you stop visisting namepros if they changed to namepros.tk ?

Well I wouldnt, and I dont belive any of you would.

Ofcourse do a .com look a bit cooler, but a good keyword do that aslo.

Well, I think people need to think a little wider when developing sites. The name of the site can be important, the extention not.

Or what do you say ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't believe the name of the site is more important than the extension!
I believe all should be equally important but the most important is the content of the website.

•••
Thats very neutral of you.

But we are talking domains here not sites ;D

•••
the extension is pretty important i think, because if one was to guess the website of a product hmm... for example cocacola, he/she would be more likely to guess cocacola.com than cocacola.cc .ws or something like that.

but once a website is developed and a lot of people know the domain name, even if its a .biz, the actual name of the domain is more important.

•••
Yeah, thats why .com is still so popular ;D
Everyone use them, thats why we should to.

Dont think you loose to much traffic on that anyway.
There is allways search eniges.

•••
someone develop .net and their traffic come to my .com domain :) so ....

•••
Yeah, but they dont loose traffic on it.
Thoose people probably find the right site sooner or later.

•••
in my view the extention is important...but it relies on the name....it is a sort of multiplier (or divider in some cases :p)

in this view it puts the most value on the .com....otherwise .coms are all about the same

thx
Steve

•••
Well, if the content fit the extention that is great. But most .com users arent commercials sites.

•••
i don't rely on extension alone... it's the name/keyword/site/content. I don't care if namepros.com change it's name to namepros.tk... look at volvocars.us ... big site but uses cctld .us . and also, lots of cctld sites that are really cool, look, lots of .coms are dormant, useless parked on ppc's...

•••
Well volvocars.us fits their extention.
And most big sites will be just like that portal to their country domains ;D

•••
I think extensions are important, just because it shows a level of importance and professionalism alone. This is mainly for the reasons listed below. (from the average American internet surfer's point of view)

1. Most people only think .com/.net/.org/.gov/.edu. I know if I asked my parents or any of my relatives if they knew of any other extensions they'd say no.

2. People are simply use to typing .com as opposed to any other tld. This would generate a huge amount of type-ins. Also, If I'd ask any person in my neighborhood, they would say that if they wanted to find a site like cars.com and it didn't exist, they would most certainly goto autos.com instead of trying cars.net

3. People simply feel safer with a company with a .com. I know I would much prefer to goto honda.com instead of honda.us. I think its all just amental thing. Again, what people are used to.

Thats all I can think of by now.

But I'd say these rules apply to my thoughts too. I would not like a site that used .tk, because it shows that they didn't have the income to buy a .com and so therefore I wouldn't trust them. And I personally have NEVER typed in a .biz, nor do I like the extension, because I feel the Z shows a sense of unprofessionalism, kinda like slang or something.

•••
Well that because you are an american.
In euro people type their ccTLD not .com, and this will probably become a world wide thing.

And even atlast USA will follow, .us registry havent had much succes on making .us a serius domain.

•••
Yes, however as an American, I don't think the Americans will take to much to the ideas of ccTLD's. The Eurupean's seem to take differently to ideas like this. The countries of Europe seem to bond quite well, proven by the use of the euro... But anyway, it makes alot of sense for each country over there to have there own cctld because they all comingle so much that, dividing the domains into the categories semmed like a good idea. However, in America, people don't really think like that, so I don't see americans typing in other ccTLD's like the europeans.

•••
Well europeans doesnt typo other ccTLDs.
Americans wont have a choice, when organisations, companys and the bigger players starting to use .us everything will change in time.

You will see, it doesnt work when the hole world getting use to ccTLDs and americans wont be affected by this.

All multinational companies will start using .us for americans in time, then the banks, then the papers.....

People will get used to .us and see that they often are more relevent to just USA.

Well I dont think you can stop evolution ;D

•••
Well we'll see. I think most americans think of .com as there own tld though. Also, America is often not one to follow what the rest of the world is doing, so I don't think the world's use of tld's will effect americas use that much. However, the one way I see it taking hold is companies who can't afford a .com domain may turn to the .us version... but I think it will be a LONG time before america accepts the .us as a widely used domain. (not just be resellers here on NP)

•••
I think it will take like 1-5 years probably.
Just depends when the big companies will start following others like volvocars.us

•••
Originally posted by dpk87
And I personally have NEVER typed in a .biz, nor do I like the extension, because I feel the Z shows a sense of unprofessionalism, kinda like slang or something.

The Z effect

http://www.clickz.com

BIZ is used often in business literature, the media and social/professional circles, especially in the States. It is the best abbreviation we have for .business

Alternatives are

.bus
.busi
.bis

However, .BIZ is not an extension for casual B2C use, imho. It's better used as an address and badge for the clearly specialized B2B services and companies who do that.

•••
.Biz will never be big, no companies have started using it. They are having to hard time on trying to get biz to use .biz ;D

•••
•••
They only register them cause they are there, like most big companies register every small ccTLD to.

•••
Originally posted by cmos
They only register them cause they are there, like most big companies register every small ccTLD to.

Defensive regs are important, I agree, particularly for MNCs. Notwithstanding, go search Google on the term site:.biz and see the hundreds of thousands of .BIZ sites already in use by the SME market.

•••
i think .biz will never be accepted by big companies, at least not in the next 1-5 years. it just seems unprofessional... a big company would want to use the widely-accepted .com

the companies that choose to reg .biz domains are just for the defensive, so others cant do that. even google.tk is registered and redirected to google.com

•••
Yeah there is no market for .biz

•••
Originally posted by cmos
Yeah there is no market for .biz

If you mean reseller market, then in a sense, what you say is correct.

Although similar in type to .COM/.NET/.ORG/.INFO as a gtld, .BIZ is a restricted tld, where you cannot register the name solely for resale.

.BIZ Registration Restrictions

Registrations in the .BIZ TLD will be subject to the following restrictions:
Registrations in the .BIZ TLD must be used or intended to be used primarily for bona fide business or commercial purposes; and

Registrations in the .BIZ TLD must comply with the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (“UDRP”), as adopted and as may be amended by the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers. For proceedings initiated before the Commencement-of-Service Date, a modified version of the UDRP, known as the Start-Up Trademark Opposition Policy (“STOP”) will apply.

For purposes of the .BIZ Registration Restrictions (“Restrictions”), “bona fide business or commercial use” shall mean the bona fide use or bona fide intent to use the domain name or any content, software, materials, graphics or other information thereon, to permit Internet users to access one or more host computers through the DNS:
To exchange goods, services, or property of any kind;

In the ordinary course of trade or business; or

To facilitate (i) the exchange of goods, services, information, or property of any kind; or, (ii) the ordinary course of trade or business.

Registering a domain name solely for the purposes of (1) selling, trading or leasing the domain name for compensation, or (2) the unsolicited offering to sell, trade or lease the domain name for compensation shall not constitute a "bona fide business or commercial use" of that domain name.
For illustration purposes, the following shall not constitute a “bona fide business or commercial use” of a domain name:

Using or intending to use the domain name exclusively for personal, noncommercial purposes; or

Using or intending to use the domain name exclusively for the expression of noncommercial ideas (i.e., registering abcsucks.biz exclusively to criticize or otherwise express an opinion on the products or services of ABC company, with no other intended business or commercial purpose).

Violations
It will be a violation of the Restrictions for an Applicant to:

register or use a domain name contrary to the STOP;

register and use a domain name contrary to the UDRP; or

use the registered domain name in a manner inconsistent with the definition of “business or commercial use” contained herein.

Violations of the Restrictions may be grounds for cancellation of a registered .BIZ domain name, pursuant to the enforcement mechanism discussed below.

Enforcement
A violation of the Restrictions will be enforced on a case-by-case, fact specific basis under the processes set forth below:

Any allegation that a domain name is not used primarily for business or commercial purposes shall be enforced under the provisions of the Restrictions Dispute Resolution Process (“RDRP”).

Any alleged violation of the UDRP or STOP shall be enforced under the provisions contained therein.
None of the violations of the Restrictions will be enforced directly by or through Registry Operator. The RDRP, UDRP, and STOP will be made applicable by the ICANN-Accredited Registrars’ registration agreements with registrants. Proceedings under the RDRP, UDRP, and STOP must be brought by interested third parties in accordance with the policies and procedures set forth. Registry Operator will not review, monitor, or otherwise verify that any particular domain name is being used primarily for business or commercial purposes or that a domain name is being used in compliance with these processes.

Registration Requirements
Before the Registry Operator will accept applications for registration, all domain name applicants in the .BIZ TLD (“Applicants”) must:

Enter into an electronic or paper registration agreement with an ICANN-Accredited Registrar (“Registrar”), in accordance with the ICANN Registrar Accreditation Agreement (“Accreditation Agreement”). Such electronic or paper registration agreement shall include the following certifications:

The data provided in the domain name registration application is true, correct, up to date and complete; and

The registrant will keep the information provided above up to date.

As part of a domain name registration application, the Applicant must certify that to the best of its knowledge:

The registered domain name will be used in a manner consistent with the Restrictions above;

The domain name registrant has the authority to enter into the registration agreement; and

The registered domain name is reasonably related to the registrant's business or intended commercial purpose at the time of registration.

Failure to comply with the above will result in failure of the Registry Operator to process an Applicant’s domain name application.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back