NameSilo

Is engagement good for domain business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    70.0%
  • No

votes
    10.0%
  • Maybe

votes
    20.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact

@Rob Monster has been very engaged on Namepros over the last year or so. He has engaged with new investors, veterans and all between. He has chosen to engage with anyone and everyone. He takes his passion and customer service to a new level, a higher level, helping investors publicly and privately.

Today @Rob Monster announced:
Lastly, we are working to scale up our team. We grew 96% in 2019 and were projecting to grow 3X in 2020. Corona might slow that a bit but the growth is there.

Those numbers are outstanding, they are very telling. What can we all learn from this? As domain investors we are all our own company. We all have our own domain business. Should we all be more engaged?

So, is engagement good for domain business?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

@Rob Monster has been very engaged on Namepros over the last year or so. He has engaged with new investors, veterans and all between. He has chosen to engage with anyone and everyone. He takes his passion and customer service to a new level, a higher level, helping investors publicly and privately.

Today @Rob Monster announced:

Those numbers are outstanding, they are very telling. What can we all learn from this? As domain investors we are all our own company. We all have our own domain business. Should we all be more engaged?

So, is engagement good for domain business?
every business need engagement and marketing.
so big YES!!

•••
engagement creates transparency which creates trust which is good for business.....

•••
To a point, sure.

But then it gets more tricky and nuanced. If you get a point where you become so annoying that you turn off many potential future customers, then no.

Brad

•••
To a point, sure.

But then it gets more tricky and nuanced. If you get a point where you become so annoying that you turn off many potential future customers, then no.

Brad
I tried to stay away from the Epik bashing & promotion theme that has taken hold of Namepros....

From a non epik/domain/namepros business point of view client/customer engagement should have a positive impact on business - bottom line, reputation etc etc if done correctly (always some chsnce of it going wrong though)

•••
I love the threads about Epik, this way I chose to ignore every Epik employee that there is on Namepros.

Cristian

•••
To a point, sure.

Brad

The beauty of the situation is, as you go on Namepros more, you get a feel for different bias, and agendas.

Rob's CEO counterparts, continue hide in the shadows, while letting other men (or women) do the dirty work for them.

Everyday Rob is attacked, antagonized, or my favorite "Spam" (Definition: anything Rob says) my faith in him grows more. In this day and age of mostly interpersonal communication faceless nameless other registrar accounts, Rob puts his name behind every post.

As i've said before, if registrar CEO, owner engage NP isnt enough to convince, chances are youre partial to any of the other and will never be a believer, yet Rob endures.

Thanks for everything, @Rob Monster your insights changed my perspectives

Samer

Last edited:
•••
So basically another promotional thread asking a silly question:

Is engagement good? Of course it is, why would it be bad? If done the right way.

Last edited:
•••
The question is legitimate, what the heck does it have to do with promotion? Somethings are better left engaged, and some are not. The OP's question raises an interesting question as to what we see as engaging vs marketing. In DN biz, much ado on engagement could make all the difference on success or failure. Sometimes even depending on who you know. /sigh.

•••
Obviously it's good in general. Although it completely depends on the type and quality of engagement.

I myself am getting VERY tired of all the pro and anti Rob rhetoric .. it's honestly gotten out of hand on both sides. From time to time there are a few posts he makes that I actually don't agree with .. others that makes my eyes roll a bit .. lol .. but he also posts some great stuff and starts interesting conversations .. but both are true of almost everyone after a certain number of posts.

HOWEVER ... the bottom line is that I very much appreciate that he is here both as a domainer and particularly as an industry executive. I appreciate the posts/threads he makes that lead to good discussions and dismiss the ones I find redundant or on things I already know about or that don't interest me.

What I find funny is how most people rush to judge people in absolute fashion (not just for about Rob .. but also for a lot of others here). Ultimately most people end up saying things that are right and some things that are wrong .. and it really pisses me off when people judge the messenger as opposed to the message. There are only a small handful of people on NP that have proven to be real troublemakers and nuisances due to a volume of issues .. but Rob is not one of those people as even in the moments I don't agree with him, he is making and effort and is being genuine .. more importantly he's not stupid and has the huge bonus extra of bringing data and information from behind the scenes.

But I personally judge Epik not based on Rob .. but on Epik as a registrar (of which indeed Rob is a part of obviously). I like Epik for three main reasons .. #1 is pricing .. #2 is features and relative ease of use (and their commitment to development of new features/tools) .. #3 is that they are available (yes, there is a Rob factor here and I do give big bonus points because the "CEO" is directly available to me both here and via email).

@Rob Monster actually texted me the other day after I mentioned how my job closed because of Covid-19, just to see how I was doing. That gets huge personal bonus points for me obviously, but isn't necessarily a reason to choose Epik (although I suggest you use them for the 3 reasons I mentioned above .. lol).

Conversely .. I don't necessarily dislike other registrars or industry companies because they are not participating here. Despite GoDaddy only being here in a minimal form, I still use them because of the inventory of their after market (because otherwise their platform is a colossal steaming pile of donkey dung). But getting back to the original question .. there most certainly could be other great companies out there I don't use .. most definitely a reason could be because I just don't have them front of mind.

For the record though, I switched to Epik from Name.com as my "non-goDaddy" registrar of choice before I knew Rob .. it was well over a year ago when he was running a $5.99 or $6.99 transfer promotion I think. I didn't hate Name.com, but at the same time I felt zero attachment to Name.com so i made the switch to Epik for the simple reason of saving money. In retrospect, I am happy I made the switch as I'm happy at Epik. They are NOT perfect .. they still have a lot of work and improvements to go .. but they are already way better than most (admittely I haven't actually tried many others for portfolio management reasons) and I get great support and great prices at Epik.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

for a business that trying to increase their revenues, they must market

for a domainer with quality domain names, their names speak for themselves.
and only time they have to "engage" in conversation/negotiation, is when they get an inquiry.

there is different interpretation of engagement and usage of the word here on NP

where engagement can be simple conversation and exchange of ideas and opinions.

however, it become much different, when engagement is the operative to intentionally solicit sales and interject business projects, within general conversations.

when the goal is to steer the direction of the subject towards the interest of the, or a particular business.
then it becomes a marketing effort and therefore a promotion of that company.

members, should have right to engage in general conversations, without being subject or subjected to marketing efforts from other members.... without their permission.
since it is their choice to participate in a general conversation, free of promotional content, then why can't that be respected?

or do we need a pole for that too?

just saying....

•••
Seems like an advertising post for Epik, trying to hire more people.

•••
i think any serious/successful domainer is already engaged.
its not a field where you can get far/anywhere without engagement.

•••
Seems like an advertising post for Epik, trying to hire more people.
Alright, I can take some criticism, but to say this is an "advertising post for Epik" is absolutely nonsense. I used them as an example, based on the growth that had been mentioned, to substantiate a possible view on the subject.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't believe I mentioned a company in that thread. Not sure where your trying to go, but it doesn't surprise me. You have a habit of playing semantics and not making much sense. The more you say, the more we see.

Everybody knows who you were talking about in the other thread. If they weren't sure, I think mentioning Rob 3 times in your first post in this thread, hopefully clued them in.

•••
I don't believe I mentioned a company in that thread. Not sure where your trying to go, but it doesn't surprise me. You have a habit of playing semantics and not making much sense. The more you say, the more we see.

Exactly.

•••
Everybody knows who you were talking about in the other thread. If they weren't sure, I think mentioning Rob 3 times in your first post in this thread, hopefully clued them in.

I dont know JB... New members, might not have ESP.

Not all about @Rob Monster, right? You have to think long-term.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I dont know JB... New members, might not have ESP.

It's not all about @Rob Monster, right? You have to think long-term.

Samer

And you're not. They're actually doing a better job now than you guys. Sloppy forum marketing. You're really not helping them out at this point with this kind of stuff.

Sloppy shilling.

Want to know why? Case-in-point, followed by the cliché; "Glass house"

Get some fresh air.

Last edited:
•••
And you're not. They're actually doing a better job now than you guys. Sloppy forum marketing.

Sloppy shilling.

Want to know why? Case-in-point, followed by the cliché; "Glass house"

Last edited:
•••
Simple formula :

1. good domain + creative idea + massive promotion + engangement = our position in marketplace

2. Good domain + Creative idea + Massive Promotion + Massive Engangement + Proper Execution = Leverage factors to make more money like a magic selling .

Actuallly domain is nothing , creative idea also nothing without great execution . formerly internet born to be used to make better comunication and to share as much as important information . When we forget it and only focus on selling , may be our customers would choose to skip our offer forever

•••
the variables have to mix together effectively to work. Marketing, domain, strong business values, etc. A great vision for a business isn't effective without a proper implementation plan

•••
Engagement will make no difference selling a couple of names a year. If your prepared to do a whole lot more build a marketplace answer every lead then it will make a difference.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back