Domain Empire

.tv Is dot TV Normal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
FACT: .TV has nothing to do with television; it is the country code for the Tuvalu Islands, a series of nine slivers of earth in the middle of the South Pacific, with a population of about 10,000.
Ginny: I have not received feedback about any confusion with my .tv versus the norm .com and in my case it is more than a book. It will also open the door for the MOVIE based on the book.
I do get contacted for radio and TV appearances, as well as making book sales from this website...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing

Nice read and nice to hear that we .tv people are not normal....

... but patently more interesting!

.com stands for commercial
.tv stands for Tuvalu

Who ever thinks of either name when they are using them?

•••
This is very interesting fact. But if .com has already been purchased, would we buy .tv?
Thanks!

•••
Then same rule applies to .io . Its not input/output

•••
Let's be very clear here ... ORIGINALLY .tv was intended to be the country code for Tuvalu Islands (in the Pacific) ... HOWEVER ...

TODAY .. .tv .co .ly .io .ws .cc and possibly a few other domains are used as global domains
TODAY .. google recognises and indexes these domains as global domains
TODAY .. effectively .TV stands for TELEVISION .. and nothing else!

Anybody who says otherwise is just basing themselves on technical reasoning as opposed to real world usage.

If this author has a book with no intention of it being a TV show (or even movie) then .tv was the wrong extension choice for marketing purposes. That being said .. because .tv is indexed as a global domain .. it's actually technically ok to use since his page isn't limited to searchers from Tuvalu.

If .tv was not a global domain and simply interpreted as Tuvalu by Google ... then he'd be an idiot for putting his website on a .TV ... because he'd effectively be limiting search engine traffic to 0.00001% of the world! lol

•••
Originally, currrently and officially, no matter the usage, .TV is a ccTLD. It's management and adaptation has Westernized it, but that does not change it's core.

The main difference between this and most other ccTLD's is it is now marketed solely as an abbreviation for a popular word, in this case "television".

.TV is the ccTLD for the country Tuvalu.
.TV is marketed by it's current manager, Verisign, as an abbreviation for television.

•••
Let's be very clear here ... ORIGINALLY .tv was intended to be the country code for Tuvalu Islands (in the Pacific) ... HOWEVER ...

TODAY .. .tv .co .ly .io .ws .cc and possibly a few other domains are used as global domains
TODAY .. google recognises and indexes these domains as global domains
TODAY .. effectively .TV stands for TELEVISION .. and nothing else!

Anybody who says otherwise is just basing themselves on technical reasoning as opposed to real world usage.

If this author has a book with no intention of it being a TV show (or even movie) then .tv was the wrong extension choice for marketing purposes. That being said .. because .tv is indexed as a global domain .. it's actually technically ok to use since his page isn't limited to searchers from Tuvalu.

If .tv was not a global domain and simply interpreted as Tuvalu by Google ... then he'd be an idiot for putting his website on a .TV ... because he'd effectively be limiting search engine traffic to 0.00001% of the world! lol
Thanks for your verry informative answer. This information is verry useful for me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back