domains Is domaining on the downslide?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
From posts and private conversations in the first two weeks I see some calling for domaining’s demise. I finally got hold of a long time friend in the business who told me he just got into NFT’s and could care less about domain names. I was surprised as they have had decent success, […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I see it similarly. I think it will almost certainly go to your second option.

Even if Meta/FB were able to achieve 1, I can't see governments allowing any one company that monopoly.
What I am less clear on is whether under 2 there will be a small number of giants, kind of how big tech dominates now, or will it be very diverse with a huge number of loosely linked metaverse initiatives, some of them nonprofit. I personally hope the latter, and would be best for domain invvestors.

Thanks for your comments.

Bob

Facebook patents reveal how it intends to cash in on metaverse

Ralph Lauren CEO says metaverse is

The move to the metaverse (video)
(Metaverse ETF founder and former Amazon Studios head of strategy)

•••
I see it similarly. I think it will almost certainly go to your second option.

Even if Meta/FB were able to achieve 1, I can't see governments allowing any one company that monopoly.
What I am less clear on is whether under 2 there will be a small number of giants, kind of how big tech dominates now, or will it be very diverse with a huge number of loosely linked metaverse initiatives, some of them nonprofit. I personally hope the latter, and would be best for domain invvestors.

Thanks for your comments.

Bob

It will not be a monopoly, Microsoft is already building its own metaverse:
Microsoft is Making Its Own Metaverse

Maybe that explains why Microsoft just acquired Blizzard for an insane amount of $69B
Microsoft Bets Big on the Metaverse with $68.7B Deal For Activision Blizzard

Interestingly it seems that Microsoft's vision is creating a platform (which they call Mesh) that can host multi-Multiverses:
Microsoft’s Mesh is constructed to permit firms to make use of APIs, very like apps can on the iPhone right now, to assist a firm construct its metaverse and have a persistent id throughout all these metaverses.

“We win in our technique if we have now infinity metaverse(s) on the market versus a few, or one,” explains Kipman.
Microsoft is creating something more ambitious than a metaverse

Their visions seems very ambitious but I am not sure how can a single platform handle the hardware requirements for such huge load from millions of VR providers.

Last edited:
•••
Another major factor (which is really the elephant in the room that everyone seems to be ignoring) is the current situation that we have in the World as far as all the Political, Social, Economical, and Environmental turmoil that we are now facing which can and will have an adverse effect on all business (including domaining) if kept uncheck.

Once things go out of control they find a life of their own which usually is far from the Logical and Compassionate path that we like to follow when it comes to solving all the existential problems that we now have to deal with.

IMO

•••
hm... imo
NO

do you know , in france there's still a LOT of UNICORN breakthrough.
around 100.000 in marseile it self last year. And if we talk about domain, you need to talk about last situation about the chaos of "Big Brother" company, who down several time last year globally.

people aware now, but i'd still think Domain investing, kinda underrated.

•••
Domains are awesome. I don't agree with the article.

NFT's are hot RIGHT NOW. They have not withstood the test of time. Domains have.

-Omar

•••
Wasn't Bitcoin supposed to hit $100k before the end of 2021? Right now, it's lowest its been in 6 months.

I've been tempted to get into crypto, but it's just too unstable for my liking. NFT's just seem crazy to me, don't get me wrong i wish i got involved in BAYC from the start for the ROI, but that's about it, i find nothing appealing about NFT art. I spoke about it on previously in this thread, i just fail to see their end use, even BAYC, it all just seems like Russian roulette or pass the parcel, someone one day is going to get the bullet ie. those who are still holding when this (so called) art is what it is, a jpg or no prize after the parcels been passed around between 10 different people, who have all got a prize.

If/when that happens, investors who say they are bored of domains will soon be back.

Last edited:
•••
Wasn't Bitcoin supposed to hit $100k before the end of 2021? Right now, it's lowest its been in 6 months.

I've been tempted to get into crypto, but it's just too unstable for my liking. NFT's just seem crazy to me, don't get me wrong i wish i got involved in BAYC from the start for the ROI, but that's about it, i find nothing appealing about NFT art. I spoke about it on previously in this thread, i just fail to see their end use, even BAYC, it all just seems like Russian roulette or pass the parcel, someone one day is going to get the bullet ie. those who are still holding when this (so called) art is what it is, a jpg or no prize after the parcels been passed around between 10 different people, who have all got a prize.

If/when that happens, investors who say they are bored of domains will soon be back.

It's basically a grass is greener on the other side approach, as NFT and Crypto are the shiny new objects that those bored with domains want to play with.

•••
It's basically a grass is greener on the other side approach, as NFT and Crypto are the shiny new objects that those bored with domains want to play with.
It may be greener right now, there's clearly money to be made, but as said i do question the end game with this 'art', even BAYC, is it really great art? I honestly i think we are going to read stories in a few years from the BAYC creators (and other NFT creators) laughing and talking about how they was stealing money, in how they created a system creating automated art (instantly) and selling this for 6 and 7 figures each and how crazy the whole nft thing was, we've got domain investors now who are 'creators' and everyone knows these people are not artists, they probably can't draw anything other than match stick men with pen and paper.

I read a story the other day about how John Lennon son is putting NFT's for sale:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60121538

Reading more into it though, the nft's are not originals, they are just essentially photographs and he keeps the originals, still some of these have starting prices at $30,000 and i just can't get my head around that for a photocopy.

NFT art/photos in my opinion will never replace original physical copies of art and photographs.

Last edited:
•••
Except artworks created by well-known artists or having special meanings, all are trash. I always have no idea why people enjoy spending huge money on ugly NFT artworks that are like created by kids.

Abuse of artificial intelligence to create digital artworks will make NFT artwork investing even worse.

I expect that almost all NFT artwork investors will eventually have investment losses.

•••
Waiting for an NFT of a plate of chips / Nachos to sell for $1 million

•••

From posts and private conversations in the first two weeks I see some calling for domaining’s demise. I finally got hold of a long time friend in the business who told me he just got into NFT’s and could care less about domain names. I was surprised as they have had decent success, […]
Continue Reading
From both sides of the buyer/seller spectrum - the aftermarket is at an ATH. Those who drop it all to pursue "the next big thing" never found a good angle, and likely didn't work hard, or like to work hard. I always knew that the golddigger type was very prevalent among domainers, but I didn't know to what extent. Now I do.

•••
In terms of NFTs, wouldn't it be better to be the creator and seller than the buyer?

•••
•••
The simple answer is yes. It's a sinking ship and anyone who wants to survive should abandon it.

"Sneaks to bid on auctions with less competition now, with a devilish smile on his face :devil::devil: "

•••
It was always on downslide, we need to destroy SocialMedias so end users will see more value.
I already did my part you can see FB lose money, thanks to me, I did it for free :xf.love::ROFL:.

•••
Last edited:
•••
NM

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back