IT.COM

Is Cybersquatting Killing E-Business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
This article has just been posted to the eCommerce Times website. It talks about methods for businesses to stop
"cybersqatters".

When the mainstream first discovered the newly spun Web, a new breed of spider emerged: the cybersquatter, an individual or company that registered many domain names, most of them well-known brands, and resold them at high prices.

With some asking prices hitting seven figures at the height of the dot-com boom, companies began to cry for justice. Fortunately, someone listened. Rigorous legislation and dramatic efforts by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) curbed much of the reviled practice, but did not stop cybersquatting completely.

Although cybersquatters' numbers have diminished -- along with their profits -- domain-name vultures are still in the wild, and companies that hope to maintain their good name on the Net must stay vigilant and organized to keep them at bay. What are some of the best strategies to stop cybersquatters in their tracks?

Full article at
http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/21638.html

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the read :)

I dont agree with the article though
I beleive the reason the e-business is falling is becuase of all the wars and terrorist things going on
Basicly before Sep11th there used to be alot more
Just My opinion though ;)

•••
Kind of paints a bleak picture for anyone who forgets to pay their renewal. I thought they would have tried to give legal advise for anyone in that situation. Instead It tells everyone in Japan to just register away, and prepare to pay the speculator who squats on your name. The headline should have read,

Cybersquatting, the only place to still make a killing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back