IT.COM

Is being Icann accredited important?

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
I normally don't use a domain registration service which is not icann accredited.

Hostgator is not in the list. If I transfer a .biz to HG I will pay around 7 usd. They said in 2007 that they work with Enom. At enom price is 18 usd for resellers. If I transfer elsewhere I get minimum 12,5 .

Also some registrars are almost 50 percent cheap, but they require ID. So they steal identity to compensate for their loss. Disgusting. Not sure if HG is like them.

If Epik or Namesilo offers the same price I would prefer them for multiple reasons.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also some registrars are almost 50 percent cheap, but they require ID. So they steal identity to compensate for their loss. Disgusting. Not sure if HG is like them.
Proof ?

•••
The only way a registrar can work without being icann accredited is if they resell from another registrar.

So if you're buying from an non-accredited registrar, you actually are buying from an accredited one, but at a markup.

•••
Proof, OVH is much cheaper for some tlds than others, maybe similarly this is the case for a few others. If we give ID to them I would call this identity theft. And they don't accept alternative proofs. I would give ID only for job application, tax/legal/medical/police/matters, real estate, banking. I don't give ID for shopping. I can show it, only if it won't be recorded. I hope someone will invent a crypto ID which we can use safely. I'm sure it would be very easy to do, once expectations are clearly defined. Domain buying is shopping. Domain selling is shopping in reverse. If you slightly suspect fraud but if it is unlikely, just limit amount of purchases to 100 usd per month. Or charge slightly more for insurance purposes.

HG may be worth trying evenif it may mean waste of time. For most people here it doesn't matter, .biz is disliked here, but I like it enough to renew most.

•••
HG as a company sucks. I wouldn't bother.

•••
HG as a company sucks. I wouldn't bother.

In what sense? For example, can't we take domains out? Or is there no customer service? Or domains not safe there? I'm not interested in hosting. Just domain transfer and renewal.

•••
The wholesale price of .biz renewals to registrars is $10.44 (unless registry promotion). Anyone offering less than that is losing money and I would expect some catch.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back