IT.COM

Is anyone making money domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is anyone making real money domaining? "If so", how? Many won't share their successes for obvious reasons. I would like to hear all success stories. Thanks.
Paul

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Psych101 said:
Is anyone making real money domaining? "If so", how? Many won't share their successes for obvious reasons. I would like to hear all success stories. Thanks.
Paul

yes:

buy low, sell high (domains and traffic)
develop

•••
Not sure how much you consider real money, but I've made almost $50k domaining this year. Considering I only do this part time (re: in my free time) and have 2 full time jobs... It's nice :)

I don't know many other people pulling in 6 fig incomes w/o an education outside of domaining.

I focus on buying into trends (eg. oled, antioxidants, health in general, environment, organic, etc) and what's currently hot in the domaining world or what I think is currently underpriced (eg. L-L-L.com, LLLL.com, .mobi, soon will be diversifying into LLL.coms).

I usually don't invest more than $10k in any 1 particular investment type and prefer a diversified investment strategy to one of "all or nothing".

Psych101 said:
Paul

•••
I am a full-time Domainer. It is the only thing I do for income. This month, was one of my best months to date. I tallied up (so far) about $12,000 dollars in sales. Which is going to net me close to $9k. Thats assuming I do nothing else this month.

I focus primarily on buying domain names, and selling them to either end-users or other domain investors. The "domainers" who do well in this game are people who have a clear understanding of value, and not just how valuable a domain name is, but why a domain is valuable. They have patience to wait for a domain sale to go through, but they also have realistic expectations about their domain names.

Ive also found that the better your network (Buyers and Sellers) the easier it is to acquire and move domain names. Also, you'll need to look in less traditional areas to acquire domain names. Bidding on domain names at SnapNames and Pool means you may be paying top dollar for your domains. This means you'll need to wait a while to recoup your investment with a decent return.

To Sum up:

1. Understand Value
2. Create a Network
3. Be Patient but Realistic
4. Explore Alternative markets

Good luck,
Justin

•••
That was just a great post spade.. I know you dont need it.. But here is some rep from me..

•••
Good replies to this thread, helpful and polite information, much appreciated.

•••
Spade said:
1. Understand Value
2. Create a Network
3. Be Patient but Realistic
4. Explore Alternative markets

Great advice - an addendum:

1A. and value creation
2B. be humble and willing to learn
3B. determination is key
4B. create, don't follow trends

•••
I will add one more item on how to make money in this business:

0.) Read old posts.

Before spending a lot of time registering new domains, read about the mistakes and successes of others. There are some brilliant people here. Learn from what they have said and done in the past.

Marc

•••
wow.. this is very useful for newbie like me,
thanks guys

•••
Frankly, domaining has been more than worth it.
Profits stand at slightly below 30k. And more than 80% of that was made in the past one and a half months. Considering that I regged my first name in late June this year, its more than good for me at least. Moreover, I've done this without any development whatsoever, just dealing in names. So yes, I believe its quite possible to make money.

I don't claim to be a good seller. I can't write a good sales letter even today. But what I've concentrated on is the buying part. More often than not, people give importance to selling and not so much on buying. I believe if you buy the right stuff, selling it becomes easier too.

In short, be a good buyer, and the selling part will come by itself.

•••
sashas said:
Profits stand at slightly below 30k. And more than 80% of that was made in the past one and a half months. Considering that I regged my first name in late June this year, its more than good for me at least. Moreover, I've done this without any development whatsoever, just dealing in names. So yes, I believe its quite possible to make money.

I don't claim to be a good seller. I can't write a good sales letter even today. But what I've concentrated on is the buying part. More often than not, people give importance to selling and not so much on buying. I believe if you buy the right stuff, selling it becomes easier too.

sheesh. I was hoping to learn something about selling around here. I have always been a good buyer (my wife says I am one of the best at spending money). Some people can sell ice in the Antarctic, while people like me couldn't sell water in the desert, and I come from a business family.

You are being humble Sashas. In your short tenure you have mastered both buying and selling. I am impressed.

Marc

•••
I tend to agree with all the succesful guys and gals , we each have our own way of doing it.

I have made a lot , realtively, lowish $xxx,xxx in the four years that I have been in the biz - and I am retired :gl:

My first real success was selling a bunch of newly regged .ws after about 7 months, highest was $900, have not had a .ws in my portfolio since. :laugh:

A few bits and pieces and then the .in landrush, most went for .in but I was fortunate to find that .co.in was also being opened up to general registration at the same time. I picked up 900 of them , sold over 600 for $xxx,xxx , still keeping the best 300 for later use.

Picked up quite few drops via Dotster when very few people were using them and made a tidy profit, most recently was ====.com picked up as a drop for $60 two years ago, sold at the last live auction for $3K plus.

Currently buying a lot of first class IDN as I am sure they will be a massive part of the domain space in the near future.

http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/396004-mini-sites.html

Whichever route you take,

Good luck

•••
npcomplete said:
sheesh. I was hoping to learn something about selling around here. I have always been a good buyer (my wife says I am one of the best at spending money). Some people can sell ice in the Antarctic, while people like me couldn't sell water in the desert, and I come from a business family.

You are being humble Sashas. In your short tenure you have mastered both buying and selling. I am impressed.

Marc

I'm not being humble Marc, you're being more than flattering. I still have a lot to learn about selling. But I'm satisfied with where I am right now. 30k is what I would've earned as my starting salary as an English major.

•••
Traffic = Money, and i make $3k+ a month from parking... if i get the right offers I will sell, but no point in actively trying to sell my generics unless i get a reasonable offer. They can only go up :)

•••
sashas said:

Your sentence reminds me of Robert Kiyosaki of the Rich Dad Poor Dad fame. He mentioned in his book: Profit is made when you buy something not when you sell it. :sold:

•••
Sam said:
Traffic = Money, and i make $3k+ a month from parking... if i get the right offers I will sell, but no point in actively trying to sell my generics unless i get a reasonable offer. They can only go up :)

gotta ask where are you parking ? and are they one word generic names ?
in .com ...... just wondering ? thanks

•••
Well, I have not been making any money. I have tons of domains for sale but no one has ever bought anything from me. They are just used mainly for parking and the revenue that I earn from that is insignificant.
So no, domaining did not work out so well for me.

•••
started out on affiliate programs, sells before herbal soap sourced here in the Philippines and then sold to U.S. and Canada. I sold one for U.S.$270 a .info and the other .com for U.S.$100 (local). still learning to become one.

Last edited:
•••
dalBono said:
wow.. this is very useful for newbie like me,
thanks guys

Happy you appreciate the help from Namepros.com I personally dont do alot of domain selling. I like to reg the names, develop them, sell ads, sell or keep. But it all goes back to what spade said. And READ READ READ. Sites, posts, magazines, anything and everything you can.

•••
sashas said:

This is a great example of how enthusiasm and passion can lead to great things. Take some credit, you've done very well Sashas! If it was that easy, everyone on this forum would be doing what you are. You are the kind of person people like to see succeed.

•••
Giode said:
This is a great example of how enthusiasm and passion can lead to great things. Take some credit, you've done very well Sashas! If it was that easy, everyone on this forum would be doing what you are. You are the kind of person people like to see succeed.

As I've always said Giode, I'm only following others who've done it before me, you being the primary one.

•••
I'm currently domaining full time and have had a few decent sales this year. Most of my sales have been from revenue generating .coms picked up on the aftermarket. However, sales have been very slow over the past few weeks and my cash reserves are diminishing.

Any input on the best way to sell domains?

I was thinking about directing all my traffic away from parked pages and forwarding them all to a company home page which would list each domain along with a sale price. The home page would contain a toll-free number and contact form.

Then I would combine networking and sales calls while fielding inquires from the company website.

Any comments on this?

•••
That's a great idea Greg. I was actually considering doing something like that myself with the majority of my collection. No point parking names that don't generate much revenue... Might as well try and get some decent sales on them :)

MicroGuy said:
I'm currently domaining full time and have had a few decent sales this year. Most of my sales have been from revenue generating .coms picked up on the aftermarket. However, sales have been very slow over the past few weeks and my cash reserves are diminishing.

I was thinking about directing all my traffic away from parked pages and forwarding them all to a company home page which would list each domain along with a sale price. The home page would contain a toll-free number and contact form.

Then I would combine networking and sales calls while fielding inquires from the company website.

Any comments on this?

•••
MicroGuy said:

Any comments on this?

Excelent idea for the non profitable domains. Most of my recent sales have come from the roadshows, very little from Sedo/Afternic etc.

Might just go down that route myself.

Good luck

•••
Buy domains, but don't expect to sell it right away for a big profit. That happen, but not always :)
Develop them while you wait. And if you don't sell them, you'll make money in another way.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back