Domain Empire

sales IRS.com domain name sold by Remark Holdings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
$600,000???

That's a very nice sale price for a 3 Letter .com :)

•••
Tricky domain. The US IRS uses .gov and wouldn’t need the .com. Meanwhile the .com is basically competing with the government for traffic.

I think the seller did fantastic in this case!

•••
Is this company anticipating the privatization of this arm of the gov't? The purchase puzzles me.

•••
Wow. I'd expect IRS.com to provide services unrelated to IRS.gov, but they do exactly the opposite!

You can do your e-filing from there! And only in "about us" it says they are not related to IRS.

Around 100K Alexa, meaning they probably have 5000-10000 uniques a day. I anticipate most are from type-in and US. That alone is worth much more than the price paid. But it was sold to affiliated party and not in the open market.

•••
The U.S. Congress did get into fighting mode after the internet domain IRS.com was up for grabs in 2007. It considered legislation to ban the use of domain names that resemble government agencies. The sale of IRS.com to company Intersearch.com for $12.5 million was legal, however, as the financial services portal used none of the Treasury’s or IRS’s initials, logos or other symbols. So there wasn’t much even the IRS could do.
http://www.businesspundit.com/the-fight-for-the-most-profitable-domain-names-on-earth/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back