IT.COM

warning irmahurricane.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just wanted to warn everyone regarding a fraudulent website.

I was searching about domains registered regarding the currently active hurricane Irma and see what websites come up.

So someone apparently registered irmahurricane.com not just only to get the traffic but also to steal money from people who honestly want to help victims.

If you visit the website there is no info about who owns it but just a few pictures of hurricanes and then a PayPal donation link at the bottom.

The PayPal email when you hit the donate button is [email protected]

The owner seems to be an Indian person with no relation whatsoever with any organizations helping victims.

Is there any way godaddy can take down the website since the domain is registered there?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IrmaHurricane.com before recent changes:
irmahurricane.com.png

Donate button led to his PayPal:
irmahurricane.com.paypal.png

Proof: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:irmahurricane.com

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="[email protected]"/>
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_donations"/>
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Weather Hurricane information - Irma"/>
Proof: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:irmahurricane.com&num=1&strip=0&vwsrc=1

The most condemning detail is that he put this for the item name of donations:

Weather Hurricane information - Irma

His donation website claims the money will be used to "help" but the PayPal item description he chose is for the "information" only, with no mention of helping.

Form your own opinion, but that is a clear indication of fraud, IMO.

•••
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's doing a good thing..and wont be keeping the paypal funds he will surely get in his own personal Paypal account for his own profit.

He's from India and they represent some of the most trustworthy telemarketers in the world. Also he's very intelligent and honest because we can easily find him and honor him with such an honorable deed. I'm sure one of us will take the time and contact the company he's working for and let them know that they have such a giving employee and the company should also join and donate to the cause.

1-800-818-6132

•••
Why is, most people here convicting him without proof of intent to deceive? Granted, accepting funds directly is not the best way to raise funds for charity. It could be, he can track the number of responses. He would not have made his profile and contacts so obvious if he wanted to defraud anyone. He should well know, conviction to defraud will get him a lengthy prison sentence.

Unrelated, but taking stock of how the laws operate in the domaining world - Domainers are a special breed indeed. When they receive unsolicited pm, emails, it's spam; but, when they send it, it's outbound marketing.

Now, some smartypants will have an opinion on my observations as well. So, fire away.

Last edited:
•••
don't you think if it was a scam I would not make it so easy for people like you to find my details . . . Please take down the posts with my personal details!!!

Why do you need your details taken down if you made them so easy to find? You should be happy that people know you are such a kind and helpful individual. Just out of interest, how are you distributing the money you have collected?

•••
Thanks for clarifying your most honorable attempt to extract money from real caring individuals. We're quite sure you had every intention to take the money people donated via your Paypal donation button and send it to the many suffering in the Florida and other areas affected by Irma.

Also I'm quite sure everyone would have this same exact reaction that you're having now when you discovered that you accidentally forgot to buy private registration and now the whole world knows of your Honorable intention.

So you simply took an about face and went from a Charity website to a splash page that to me looks like you're attempting to find an interested buyer.

I'm so glad you're just as honorable as those trustworthy telemarketers from India. Keep up the good work and let that company of yours know you're a good citizen! Make sure you tell them the whole story though.

the page is still up.. the link for donations is deleted..what would you do if someone associated your name with fraud and posted your information online..I am proud of my efforts and will continue my good deeds.. just don't need to prove it to you. Don't need advertisement.. it was for close friends and family.

•••
This is so friggin sad! I am in a panic because my whole family is in South Florida, and to see this crap just makes my stomach turn! Totally disgusting! My aunt paid $6.00 for 1 loaf of bread that normally costs $1.00 a couple of days ago, at a TARGET on Federal highway!!! there is absolutely NO humanity in so many people

•••
My aunt paid $6.00 for 1 loaf of bread that normally costs $1.00 a couple of days ago, at a TARGET on Federal highway!!!

I hope your aunt kept her receipt and can show the proper authorities that she was price gouged.

Anyone scammed or gouged during an emergency should be allowed at least ten minutes with the offending person...using a ball peen hammer as they see fit.

I am sorry OP that my post is off topic somewhat.

•••
He really do have good intentions :D the donation button has been replaced to https://www.crowdrise.com/help-hurricane-irma-victims/fundraiser/shivmadari he also donate 100$ by himself.

Good intentions would be a direct link to the American Red Cross Hurricane Irma donation page - https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-irma-donations

That's more likely to get a donation (direct), than some fundraiser thru CrowdRise, from somebody nobody knows, who may or may not actually donate the money raised.

Last edited:
•••
Already reported them to PayPal

•••
@ShivPrasad
Why would you take down a legitimate website which sole purpose of helping victims of a natural disaster if your intent was legitimate?
Then panic to hide your identity after your "Good deed" was discovered?
You should be proud of your efforts and its free advertising here on NP.

•••
Seems to me:
1. Saw an opportunity
2. Tried to capitalize on it
3. Was found out
4. Is now back-pedaling

•••
Rather than having a paypal button how about redirect the donate button to the genuine donations page like unicef etc

•••
•••

I was searching about domains registered regarding the currently active hurricane Irma and see what websites come up.

So someone apparently registered irmahurricane.com not just only to get the traffic but also to steal money from people who honestly want to help victims.

If you visit the website there is no info about who owns it but just a few pictures of hurricanes and then a PayPal donation link at the bottom.

The owner seems to be an Indian person with no relation whatsoever with any organizations helping victims.

Is there any way godaddy can take down the website since the domain is registered there?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guyz.. slow down!!!!!
I am not doing any scam or trying to get money by fraudulent ways. It was just a humble attempt to help hurricane victims... don't you think if it was a scam I would not make it so easy for people like you to find my details.. . this is not forcing anyone to donate.. just for people in the close circle to help. I didn't know this would become such a big issue with people and so I have taken down the page. I donated money and food supplies for the Harvey victims and was just trying to find a way to help hurricane victims.
Please take down the posts with my personal details!!!

•••
Not trying to play judge and jury, but disasters like this you really do see the best and worst of humanity, so nothing would surprise me.

I hope the person's intentions was genuine, if not i hope the person does the right thing and actually donates whatever money they've received.

•••
•••
@IMEZI and I didn't say that the guy was the same, I just asked a question: why are you sure that the website belongs to "an Indian person with no relation whatsoever with any organizations helping victims" ?

Last edited:
•••
•••
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guyz.. slow down!!!!!
I am not doing any scam or trying to get money by fraudulent ways. It was just a humble attempt to help hurricane victims... don't you think if it was a scam I would not make it so easy for people like you to find my details.. . this is not forcing anyone to donate.. just for people in the close circle to help. I didn't know this would become such a big issue with people and so I have taken down the page. I donated money and food supplies for the Harvey victims and was just trying to find a way to help hurricane victims.
Please take down the posts with my personal details!!!
Please provide proof with the donation/s.
You don't have to worry about your details being shared on this forum, we are not serial killers, what we're doing is simply investigating this domain (like we've done with many other shady ones), but if you provide proofs of your donations then I'm sure moderators will remove sensitive data and lock this thread.

the page is still up.. the link for donations is deleted..what would you do if someone associated your name with fraud and posted your information online..I am proud of my efforts and will continue my good deeds.. just don't need to prove it to you. Don't need advertisement.. it was for close friends and family.
You have no choice here, or you post the donation proof or we'll report you to PayPal for fraud, choice is simple.

Last edited:
•••
I doubt that anyone was fooled to donate anyway ! O_o
I got scammed the other day (on another forum), the scammer was acting like nothing happened! I just told him he sold his respect and dignity for too cheap! he didn't give a f* though :ROFL::facepalm:

•••
•••
I am proud of my efforts and will continue my good deeds.. just don't need to prove it to you.

You're right, you don't need to prove it to me. Yet you will need to prove it to law enforcement which have been notified.

•••
Why is, most people here convicting him without proof of intent to deceive? Granted, accepting funds directly is not the best way to raise funds for charity

You answered your own question

•••
You answered your own question
No Sir! I did not. It does not give you or anyone to determine guilt without proof. Ever heard of - Innocent until proven guilty?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back