sales iPets.com sells for $12,777 only $62,223 less than a decade ago

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
The domain name iPets.com closed at $12,777 on NameJet on Friday. This was the top close across all platforms on Friday according to Namebio. While some might think wow nice price! The domain actually sold for much more back in 2008. iPets.com sold for $75,000 on Afternic. The buyer was Cambridge Mass based Virtual Goods Market, which also operated as Viximo. From … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The old "i" and "e" domains are pretty old school to set up a new business with and way behind the times in 2018.

•••
Despite the comments from @DomainRecap, I think iPets.com is a steal at $12,777. How would you modernize the brand of your pet website in 2018 @DomainRecap, or anyone else who would like to chime in.

Last edited:
•••
You should probably use the word "Pet" either in a short 2-word combo like PetSmart or PetValue or a pronounceable like PetCo or Petsy. I've seen a few Pet-related domains at auctions for XXX to XXXX I liked better than ipets, and there were some bargain bins that were close.

And I'm not saying that $17K wasn't a fair price for ipets.com, only that it's just a reality the "i" and "e" prefix domains are dropping in value (from $75K in 2008), as tastes change towards brandables.

•••
The old "i" and "e" domains are pretty old school to set up a new business with and way behind the times in 2018.
Yup, The i & e is ova... They will be missed, but what's in now? sjwpet.com? russiapet.com? pronounpet.com? trumppet.com? 2018 kind of sucks.

•••
You should probably use the word "Pet" either in a short 2-word combo like PetSmart or PetValue or a pronounceable like PetCo or Petsy. I've seen a few Pet-related domains at auctions for XXX to XXXX I liked better than ipets, and there were some bargain bins that were close.

And I'm not saying that $17K wasn't a fair price for ipets.com, only that it's just a reality the "i" and "e" prefix domains are dropping in value (from $75K in 2008), as tastes change towards brandables.

Thanks for your trending replacements for "i" / "e" suffixes. I kinda can see where you are going with Smart and Co, purely as a brandable replacement to "i" and "e" suffixes, but I respectfully disagree with your premise. I don't think most "i" or "e" domains have dropped 75% in 10 years. I think they still have a part to play in the brandable mix of options. Maybe not as important part as 10 years ago, when there were less options.

I don't think only 1 example dropping over 75% in 10 years is a trend. It might be a reflection of a trend. But I'd call it an outlier until I saw more examples. We are talking about prices above my ballpark. But I would have happily paid $17k for iPets.com I think it is a bargain price.

Just for fun. I looked up ipets.com, petsmart.com and petco.com in Estibot. iPets.com came in at $21k, PetSmart.com came in at $0k (regged at Mark Monitor), PetCo.com came in at $793k. I think the first thing which is immediately apparent is how unreliable the results are. Next I see they have taken into account the reduced price of iPets.com. And finally, I don't believe the discrepancy in price between iPets.com and PetCo.com. This was just for a bit of fun. I had no idea what the results would show.

•••
E is hardly over, esports.com sold for 7 figures recently.

•••

There you go.....But I would have guessed that price was more than for the domain name?

•••
Yes, "I" and "E" are way way over and dead.

On another note, sell me your trash "I" "e". ;)

•••
•••
Old domain name's are like an old pair of shoe’s. After a while they lose their luster value and appeal.

•••
Old domain name's are like an old pair of shoe’s. After a while they lose their luster value and appeal.

I respectfully disagree :)

•••
Just for fun. I looked up ipets.com, petsmart.com and petco.com in Estibot. iPets.com came in at $21k, PetSmart.com came in at $0k (regged at Mark Monitor), PetCo.com came in at $793k. I think the first thing which is immediately apparent is how unreliable the results are. Next I see they have taken into account the reduced price of iPets.com. And finally, I don't believe the discrepancy in price between iPets.com and PetCo.com. This was just for a bit of fun. I had no idea what the results would show.

Estibot valued ePets.com for $57k :)

•••
It is a good name. I would say it is worth 9 to 10k tops. 12k, you did well. All the best.

•••
Hahaha.. This thread made me remember back to the "Boom 'n Bust" of Pets.com. I think it went from an IPO on the NASDAQ to bankruptcy in under 300 days.

I looked to see what Pets.com sold for after the bankruptcy but it was part of a package of assets sold as a group so there was no specific valuation for the domain by itself.

But I did find that vPets.com sold 5 years later (2005) for $5k.
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2005/domainsales11_22_05.htm

I just noticed that in DNJ link above it also shows Bird.com sold for $200k at that time. I wonder if this means iBirds.com might still be worth a couple of thousand now?!?!?

Last edited:
•••
It is a good name. I would say it is worth 9 to 10k tops. 12k, you did well. All the best.

I presume you are evaluating iPets.com here. But what I don't get, is why you value it so low? I would say this is a $50k+ domain all day long. But what do I know. I live in a completely different paradigm ;)

•••

Totally different example, as eSports is an exact match to the industry, while iPets isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports

eSports are a form of competition using video games. Most commonly, eSports take the form of organized, multiplayer video game competitions.

•••
iPhone is dead too ?

Nope, existing brands and EMD brand domains are extremely popular on 2018, but we're talking about "i" and "e" suffixes on dictionary words to create a previously-undeveloped business and brand name.

i.e.. the difference between eBay.com and eAuctions.com

eSports and iPhone = existing brands and EMD terms = totally unrelated to this conversation.

Last edited:
•••
We were talking about Prefixes :)

We were also not talking about creating new "e" or "i" + dictionary words either. We were talking about exisiting "e" or "i" + dictionary words which were once developed, iPets.com

Last edited:
•••
$12,777 and it redirects to a t-shirt site?
That's expensive for a backlink, I would have expected a crypto pet coin similar to crypto pups or whatever lol

The domain itself is worth 25/35 thousand. Buyer got a great deal.

I still own eScored dot Com which I get about 3 or 4 offers a year but I'm old school and emotionally attached to it.

•••
Totally different example, as eSports is an exact match to the industry, while iPets isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports

eSports are a form of competition using video games. Most commonly, eSports take the form of organized, multiplayer video game competitions.

I understand that but esports imo has revitalized the word "e" to some extent imo. I'm not sure about "I" besides iphone etc. It just depends more on different variables now imo.

•••
We were also not talking about creating new "e" or "i" + dictionary words either. We were talking about exisiting "e" or "i" + dictionary words which were once developed, iPets.com

Like I said, eBay.com vs. eAuctions.com are two totally different things, just like eSports and iPhone vs iPets.

For example, if none of these brands existed today and were startups in 2018, eBay would not use eBay and Apple would not use iPhone. They are just 1990's terms that survived the test of time and are hardly relevant examples for startups in 2018.

Last edited:
•••
•••

I was trying to think of some major e-commerce startups that developed under an "i" prefix + word domain over the last year or so? Are there any?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back