sales iPets.com sells for $12,777 only $62,223 less than a decade ago

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
The domain name iPets.com closed at $12,777 on NameJet on Friday. This was the top close across all platforms on Friday according to Namebio. While some might think wow nice price! The domain actually sold for much more back in 2008. iPets.com sold for $75,000 on Afternic. The buyer was Cambridge Mass based Virtual Goods Market, which also operated as Viximo. From … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Like I said, eBay.com vs. eAuctions.com are two totally different things, just like eSports and iPhone vs iPets.

For example, if none of these brands existed today and were startups in 2018, eBay would not use eBay and Apple would not use iPhone. They are just 1990's terms that survived the test of time and are hardly relevant examples for startups in 2018.

We weren't even talking about startups. You keep introducing new angles into your thinking. Whilst I might agree with your statements. I think we should stay on topic, for the purposes of discussion.

In a nutshell. You think iPets.com is not worth very much, because of it's use of an "i" prefix, which is so 1990's. Whereas, I think it is worth quite a bit more than the purchase price, simply because it's a short 5 letter domain in a big vertical. In fact, you cannot get any shorter. Perhaps, this sums it up our opposing positions on this.

•••
I don't know what the buyers had in mind, but selling pets on the Internet is difficult :)

Also, Pets.com is a very well-known example of dotcom failure. Shipping pet food is expensive because it is heavy and the margins are not high
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pets.com

•••
iPhone is over for me. I dropped her in the toilet while taking a leak. I tried all the resuscitation tricks. She died. I had no warranty to bury her properly. So I went with cremation. She was only 6. Her name was Suzie. We called her iPhone 6s. Damn!

•••
In a nutshell. You think iPets.com is not worth very much, because of it's use of an "i" prefix, which is so 1990's. Whereas, I think it is worth quite a bit more than the purchase price, simply because it's a short 5 letter domain in a big vertical.

Exactly, and my subsequent replies are to the people posting "What about eSports, eBay and iPhone" when those are all relics from the 90's that only stuck around due to popular products, activities or sites, and have absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

My position is clear: if you are starting a company now (which is where most of the HUGE domain $$$ profits come from), then the very last thing you're going to do is use a domain with an "i" or "e" prefix.

That doesn't mean that one domainer wont sell iDomains.com or eLifeSkills.com to another domainer, often at a loss, then rinse and repeat, only that it will be near-impossible to sell it for big $$$ to an actual company for actual development.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know what the buyers had in mind, but selling pets on the Internet is difficult :)

Also, Pets.com is a very well-known example of dotcom failure. Shipping pet food is expensive because it is heavy and the margins are not high
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pets.com

Yeah that whole "EMD Dictionary Words" phase was hilarious where stuff like Beer.com, Diapers.com, Pets.com, Soap.com, etc. was proposed as the "Future of the Internet" and now it's a barren wasteland of For Sale signs, SPAM ad pages and 301 redirects.

Today it's all multi-level, multi-product/services generic branding, and as I like to say, try selling someone hosting from Diapers.com.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back