Domain Empire

Introduction letter

NameSilo
Watch

KingDon

Mr Big StuffVIP Member
Impact
Does anyone have an e-mail template that they use to solicit companies, to sell your domain names? Any ideas on writing one? I want to pitch a company about a particular name I have, and it matches one of their products. I'm looking for a nice way in the front door, without sounding like a domain reseller, any ideas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are some good examples - I also remember a simaler question on dnF. Someone recomended concentrating on those that got results for the seller.
Sorry I can't be more specific as it was about a year ago I think.

•••
I don't have a template that I use to contact parties.

If there is a specific company that I can easily tell would benefit from the domain better than I, I write them a friendly letter letting them know that I am considering development of the domain -- and wish to check with them beforehand to see if they had any future plans on obtaining the name. You know, to avoid a conflict down the road.

I have heard back things like "well we tried to get that name before but it wasn't available" which can lead to a dialogue.

This is something I do as a developer firstmost, but also works as a sales technique.

If the domain you own is similiar to their domain, and superior.. for instance you own the .com when they own the .net or .com.au you may consider informing them that you are receiving visitors to your site or emails that are intended for them. Be careful though because this admission could be used against you in UDRP if you don't have legitimate use or rights to the domain.

•••
Very imformative info.

Thanks for the info. I have often wondered same thing.

•••
OK let's say I do get a response from someone. Lets say they like the name, and as expected they start in with the "but I'm small time and don't have very much money, if you don't sell the name, let us know what your bottom line is".

I know from sales experience that it's always in my best interest to let them make the first offer, they usually have a higher number than me. How would you set the stage, how do you get them to reveal that magic limit they're willing to spend? How do you close a nice deal with an end user?

Don

•••
I have never experienced success approaching a company...

•••
Who do you approach? Or do you wait for them to contact you?

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
If the domain you own is similiar to their domain, and superior.. for instance you own the .com when they own the .net or .com.au you may consider informing them that you are receiving visitors to your site or emails that are intended for them. Be careful though because this admission could be used against you in UDRP if you don't have legitimate use or rights to the domain.
This EXACT scenario happened with a domain I sold for 12k. They definitely responded to it, though they responded more after they'd decided to put it off, and I decided to begin development in their same sphere. :hehe: I wasn't even trying for a sale at that point, I legitimately had to get on with my business.

Here's another idea:

Have a webpage page up when the domain is typed-in. Send an anonymous tip to them from an innocuous e-mail address (maybe Yahoo), and put in the subject "DOMAINNAME.COM - this may be of interest to you." In the body of the message, have "I saw this on the Internet, and I thought it might benefit your company to see the listing for this name", and provide the URL. Do not say "I am selling this." Make it an anonymous tip.

If the company is publicly traded, go through their records, and find the president, CEO or CTO. Figure out which is more likely to follow up. In a company I worked for, though it took a while, our president was the one persuing a domain name that the company should have gotten. Otherwise, try other methods of determing to deal with. Perhaps use the whois record, or even try their website. The last resort is a guessing game, but pick your shot carefully I think. You shouldn't have to make a "second pass". Putting yourself in the shoes of perhaps I concerned customer providing an Internet tip, might be the best approach if that first scenario doesn't quite fit your situation.

Best,
~ Nexus

•••
well some companies just contact us if we want to sell our the domain... That's where some guys make big bucks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back