IT.COM

domains Initial offer on Voice.com was $150,000 - Seller would not get on phone til $22million offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Michael J. Saylor is the CEO of MicroStrategy the company that sold Voice.com for $30 million last year. how the negotiations went. They apparently started at $150,000 and Saylor would not get on the phone with the buyer until the offer hit $22 million. […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
gotta admire the huge pair on the seller. I doubt anyone here could hold out that long for that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
gotta admire the huge pair on the seller. I doubt anyone here could hold out that long for that much.

Well he did say
I have 500 million dollars of cash in the bank, and I love my things, you know, maybe you can tell that I’m a little bit passionate about some of this stuff.

So I would rather own it and not have the 10 million then sell it for that so I said no,”

•••
Well he did say
I have 500 million dollars of cash in the bank, and I love my things, you know, maybe you can tell that I’m a little bit passionate about some of this stuff.

So I would rather own it and not have the 10 million then sell it for that so I said no,”

hahaha nice! the version of that for us in the "cheap seats" would be.

"I have $6 dollars and 10 cents CASH in my bank. Plus $2.50 in my pocket and a ball of lint. I love my thangs, you know, maybe you can tell by my mullet and bucket of bait that I'm passionate. umm what we talkin bout agin?"

"So I would rather be an idiot and own it and stick it to the man then sell it for 10 million so I said...wait...did you say $10 million dollas? SOLD!" :xf.grin::ROFL::ROFL::xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, #1 rule of selling very high is to afford rejecting high offers.

•••
Legend says this domain would have received XXXX offers by low-ballers from Domain Buyer Requests section here on NamePros... :banghead:

"bro im a reseller pls" :xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
•••
Good read but wished it was longer.

It made me think of a movie that escapes me at the moment that had John Goodman in it. He told the main character the key to life was "Operating from a place of F.U." Once you have money you can approach every deal from the place of F.U., I'm rich already.

•••
Voices.com sold for $5,000 in 2015 😜

Last edited:
•••
That is why you can't take 100% advice from big names in the domain industry.
because they have deep pockets and can hold out for the rest of their life if they wanted to on any deal...with no effect on their lifestyle.

I think it's about starting small and just working your way up to where you have capital and not desperate to sell. Then negotiations can change dramatically.

•••
I agree with the seller. I have some names i plan to develop and I just put a high price. Not to overprice.. But simple because i plan to keep the name and I would only sell if someone s crazy enough to offer that price or close to it. Otherwise, no loss for me. It stays in my plans.

•••
US$ 30,000,000.00. Kudos to the Seller for his tough determination. Money make man very strong indeed. When he had 500 million USD in the bank, that itself is a big power to say no to 10, 20 million offers.

•••
Last edited:
•••
There was definitely nothing "Micro" about his "Strategy" :xf.wink:

I wonder if I could hold out for $8,888,888 for Primorsky.com ?:xf.grin:

•••
That is why you can't take 100% advice from big names in the domain industry.
because they have deep pockets and can hold out for the rest of their life if they wanted to on any deal...with no effect on their lifestyle.

I think it's about starting small and just working your way up to where you have capital and not desperate to sell. Then negotiations can change dramatically.

Well I know what you mean, it's not so much about taking advice. But understanding why domaining can be so different and is a unique journey. I would not have turned down $10 million, because I don't have $500 million in the bank.

•••
At least the domain is put to good use, already claimed a one-word username on it :P

•••
i dont count this sale; and you shouldnt either.

Other than it being an anomaly strive for.

Funny money; raised in “gray area” way.
$4B ICO raised real. Not sure of track record.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/bl...registered-ico-used-to-buy-voice-com.1157488/

I'm not sure tbh. So there's that funny business with the ICO.

But I still count this sail as legit, price-wise. Maybe it was a fake sail or smth, but you know... It's a one-word dictionary that's a really good word... Voice!

I'd say that's right up there in the league of Sports.com.

•••
The podcast waa one of the best interviews ive heard

He understands

Business

Bitcoin

And is a domain mame investor and understands digital assets

Very intetesting listening to his reasoning behind his decisions and negotiating etc eg saying no etc

There is a phrase

You dont start earning money until you start saying no

Although i would tweak thatsaying slightly to

You dont start making money until you can afford to say no

And by the seller continuing to say no when he eventually said no he made a fortune but already had a fortune (money makes money and all that)

But the seller makes a very good point in that he enjoys owning the domains he owns and has enough money not to need to sell which means anyone that wants to own any of his super premium domains is going to need to really want to own one of his domains and will need to pay many millions to buy it and even then the answer from the seller will still probsbly be er no lol

But credit to pomp the interviewer for allowing the interviewee the time to talk and go off on tanget in to different areas etc without trying to bring the conversation back to the original topic etc bit just allowing the seller to talk

If a person had to pay to listen to that advice it would be very very expensive but pomps podcast allowed us to gain that insight for free

Thanks to op for this thread

•••
Well he did say

That's explain it! value is relative
$10 million offer for him is like $100 offer for someone with $5k cash in the bank! or $1000 for someone with $50k cash.

•••
•••
HAHAHA, well I own voiceJ.com and my website will be a million times more popular than voice.com :-P

•••
HAHAHA, well I own voiceJ.com and my website will be a million times more popular than voice.com :-P

Sure it will; only theirs is an actual product;
and yours is a sales lander.

•••
Thats why I said "will be" and not "is"

•••
Legend says this domain would have received XXXX offers by low-ballers from Domain Buyer Requests section here on NamePros... :banghead:

"bro im a reseller pls" :xf.rolleyes:

XXXX offers? You ever tried selling a name here? Go.com wouldn't get XXXX offers here unless its approved on SH for 5 million and it expires in 2050, then you'll get a 25 dollar offer paid in installments.

•••
Some Domainers would accept the $150k offer and ran like hell.

•••
Back