IT.COM

.info .info site in magazine advertisement!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MissFlora

*Epitome.Of.Pulchritude*VIP Member
Impact
I was reading Dec 2004 Discover Magazine today when I came across an advertisement. It advertised a .info (instead of .net, .com) and I can't help to say "woah woah!". When I reached home, I did some whois and realised the company did not even bother to register the .com or .net for the company. And this is definitely not about free .info because when this domain is registered, it was 2003! Man man, this shows an improvement for the .info market since it is gradually going public! Woah!!! For those who want to check it out, do not hesitate to visit your newspaper stand, have a look at dec discover magazine page 80.

Woohooo!
Flora. B-)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Woohoo! .INFO rocks. It just has such an endearing, sincere and helpful ring about it, .COM sounds like a CON.

Welcome to the Next Generation Internet!

•••
MissFlora said:
I was reading Dec 2004 Discover Magazine today when I came across an advertisement. It advertised a .info (instead of .net, .com) and I can't help to say "woah woah!". When I reached home, I did some whois and realised the company did not even bother to register the .com or .net for the company. And this is definitely not about free .info because when this domain is registered, it was 2003! Man man, this shows an improvement for the .info market since it is gradually going public! Woah!!! For those who want to check it out, do not hesitate to visit your newspaper stand, have a look at dec discover magazine page 80.

Woohooo!
Flora. B-)

well, my bet on infos is becoming a reality.... :hehe: :blink:

•••
same for .tv

MissFlora said:

Woohooo!
Flora. B-)
The same goes for .tv. A local tv station here (Fresno,Calif), has their name on station as ABC47.tv!!! Even if the .com is taken, I'm sure they were already a .com before. Hopefully, they just wanted the .tv!! Good for all competing extensions!1

•••
same for .tv

MissFlora said:

Woohooo!
Flora. B-)
The same goes for .tv. A local tv station here (Fresno,Calif), has their name on the air as ABC47.tv!!! Even if the .com is taken, I'm sure they were already a .com before. Hopefully, they just wanted the .tv!! Good for all competing extensions!

•••
knarfmusik said:
Hopefully, they just wanted the .tv!

Hey, stop messing with a .INFO feel good thread, sik. Why would any one want a sinking island in the middle of the Pacific? :-/

Over three years ago, I registered .WS (WorldSite) in the early first days it was hijacked by a profiteering pirate from the States. They claimed it was the next generation of extensions after .COM, .NET and .ORG.

When I heard it actually was the cctld of Western Samoa, something inside me broke big time. I have never recovered from having slept and trusted a transvestite. I don't think I ever will.

•••
well i guess .info is on the way :tu:

•••
mole said:
Hey, stop messing with a .INFO feel good thread, sik. Why would any one want a sinking island in the middle of the Pacific? :-/

Over three years ago, I registered .WS (WorldSite) in the early first days it was hijacked by a profiteering pirate from the States. They claimed it was the next generation of extensions after .COM, .NET and .ORG.

When I heard it actually was the cctld of Western Samoa, something inside me broke big time. I have never recovered from having slept and trusted a transvestite. I don't think I ever will.

OOps!1 True, sorry Mr. Mole.

I'll start a separate .tv thread!!
Mr. Mole has spoken!!

Frank

•••
mole said:

OOps, sorry Miss Flora, and the Honorable Mole. You are right, I"ll start a separate .tv thread!

Peace be with you

Frank

•••
Lol @ mole. It's alright knarf, :) Yeah, .info is coming!! Yes yes! So this shows that though there's a free .info market out there, certain .info are still very valuable. And I'm very surprised the company chose a .info instead of .com/.net. Unbelievable!

.info rox!
Flora.

•••
weird that a company did that. I thought .info is more for content

•••
That's why I'm very surprised. I don't know if it is a Inc. or Ltd. but I sure know it is some communications company that registered that domain for their product. Woah.

Flora.

•••
MissFlora said:
... And I'm very surprised the company chose a .info instead of .com/.net.

Just like .org, some companies may NOT want a site to be seen as too COMmercial. Perhaps a drug company wants to give some general health info, but doesn't want to seem to biased toward their product. ...Or a public company reserves the .com for their public site, but wants to use .info for their stockholders or employees communications separately. Not a lot different than some organizations that use the .org becasue it fits and then register the other TLD's to keep squatters from trading on their reputation.

In some ways, I think people give more respect to an organization that chooses a main domain that fits their content and purpose.

At this point, about half my portfolio is .info domains, and I am very confident they are a good investment compared to the return on cost of a net or org.

•••
mole said:

I haven't given up on the .WS TLD. People need to start developing their .ws domain names then we'll see. What's really hurting the TLD is the fact that the most valuable names are not developed and are being hoarded:

loans.ws
movie.ws
shopping.ws
etc...

AmCy

•••
What was the .info advertised in the magazine?

•••
•••
•••
Dwayne said:
is that a good thing?

Depends on one's perspective and, if I may add, biases !!

•••
I'm not sure that .info for a companies primary site is a great idea but I think that there are plenty of good reasons that a company would want a .info

Afilias suggests them on their site -

Marketing
A .INFO domain is a great place from which to send e-mail alerts and updates about your company or product. The .INFO address immediately lets your subscribers know it's information they want and need.

And .INFO names are easy to remember. They're great for creating Web sites around products or new ad campaigns.

Productivity
Use your .INFO domain for your company extranet, for employee e-mail addresses, or to create an identity for a department or team within your company.

International Presence
In most of the world, the .COM TLD is perceived as an American phenomenon. (About half of .COM names are registered in the U.S.) .INFO is the truly global TLD, and is the perfect place to center your company's online presence, and serve international clients.

Customer Service
A .INFO site a natural place to set up a customer service Web site, offering info about your product.
WholesaleFabrics.info / WholesaleBooks.info / SolarLighting.info / AidsTesting.info

•••
knarfmusik said:
OOps!1 True, sorry Mr. Mole.

I'll start a separate .tv thread!!
Mr. Mole has spoken!!

:'(

•••
Have seen alot of advertisement for .info domains, the most uncommon domain for me is the .museum stumbled upon on when googleing something a few days ago.

•••
The .com and .net are not registered though. Only .info registered. Anthony, the advertised is about ecological charts for sale.

Flora.

•••
New update!

I was reading chinese newspaper yesterday and happen to come across a chinese advertisement with a site with .info! Hey hey, now there's even chinese companies using .info as their site domain in newspapers...woah...

Flora.

•••
MissFlora said:
New update!

I was reading chinese newspaper yesterday and happen to come across a chinese advertisement with a site with .info! Hey hey, now there's even chinese companies using .info as their site domain in newspapers...woah...

Flora.

Interesting! Which company was that?

•••
Chinese company? Lol, I gotta go dig out that newspaper again. If you guys really want to know, I can really find the newspaper again. Let me know. :)

Flora.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back