IT.COM

.info .info Quandry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For a few months, about a year ago, .info was a hot tld, forum topic and a large number of .info names were being regged. At the time, I was focusing on names that reflected a very literal usage of .info and was using "directory", "guide", "manual", "reference" ,"facts" and the like, in name combos, figuring that an info portal would be a strong way of using the tld. ie

RepairGuide.INFO
MedicalTerms.INFO
MDReference.INFO
EuroGuide.INFO
TeenAdvice.INFO

Who knew back then, that .info's would be free to reg, a year later? Today, I find myself sifting through about 30-40 renewals of 2 word .info's. that come due over the next couple of mos. The .info wholesale market is obviously down at the moment, just as my .info "cycle" of past purchases kicks into gear over the next 2 months.

2 questions:
-Anyone else feeling this pinch?
-What is your take on the type of .info names, that I've listed above? Not asking for appraisals- just general ideas on whether or not these look like decent ones to hang onto for the long haul.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like repairguide and teenadvice. I might let the others drop. You have to project what you think you will make on these names, whether you are parking or selling them & weigh that against the renewal cost. There are an awful lot of .infos that were free reg and will probably be dropping in the next year. Maybe you can reg ones you drop for free again at some point?

•••
All worthwhile IMO... good keywords or phrases can only go up in value...

As for myself, I was not generic enough in many cases... mine are still good but need to be developed.

Grrilla said:
RepairGuide.INFO
MedicalTerms.INFO
EuroGuide.INFO
TeenAdvice.INFO

•••
It's a hard decision on Renewals to begin with .... and adding the .Info Promotion has added even more of a problem - huh ? -

I was planning on going ahead and transferring some of mine to preffered registrars , but got this Email the other Day from one of my reseller accounts :

Dear Reseller,

What better way to kick-start your New Year celebrations, than offering your Customers and Sub-Resellers .INFO domain names for as low as $1 - $1.25! Come January 2005, and you can start selling .info domain names at rock-bottom prices.

.INFO Marketing Program Details

1. This pricing is available in-between 1st January, 2005 to 1st January, 2006.

2. All NEW .INFO Registrations for the FIRST Year, will attract a special pricing of USD 1 to USD 1.25. Thus,

a) multiple year .info domain name registrations would be charged as Special Pricing for 1st year + Standard Pricing for the rest of the domain years.

b) Renewals and Transfers would NOT attract this special pricing

3. There is no restriction to the number of .info domain name registrations per Registrant Contact

Our Marketing Team is currently fine-tuning our Pricing Strategy for this .INFO Marketing Program and will be announcing our Final Prices in the last-week of December, 2004.

Regards,

Through 2006 ??????

•••
well....

i think info will worth something only if are developed ....

your idea was very good .....

develope those names ....... and see what you get ..
valuable information=$ value
and info suits for information right......?? :D

•••
What reseller? WWD? GoDaddy?

all4cost said:
It's a hard decision on Renewals to begin with .... and adding the .Info Promotion has added even more of a problem - huh ? -

I was planning on going ahead and transferring some of mine to preffered registrars , but got this Email the other Day from one of my reseller accounts :

Through 2006 ??????

•••
Truly appreciate the advice. Keeping keywords and search terms in mind is a good reminder and will help me w/my "sifting". $1.00-$1.25 throughout 2005? Woa! That puts yet, another spin onto .info, at least for the near term. Have to give some thought to this. Will certainly move .info up into the upper echelon of total # names registered tld-wise.

•••
Grrilla said:
For a few months, about a year ago, .info was a hot tld, forum topic and a large number of .info names were being regged. At the time, I was focusing on names that reflected a very literal usage of .info and was using "directory", "guide", "manual", "reference" ,"facts" and the like, in name combos, figuring that an info portal would be a strong way of using the tld. ie

RepairGuide.INFO
MedicalTerms.INFO
MDReference.INFO
EuroGuide.INFO
TeenAdvice.INFO

Who knew back then, that .info's would be free to reg, a year later? Today, I find myself sifting through about 30-40 renewals of 2 word .info's. that come due over the next couple of mos. The .info wholesale market is obviously down at the moment, just as my .info "cycle" of past purchases kicks into gear over the next 2 months.

2 questions:
-Anyone else feeling this pinch?
-What is your take on the type of .info names, that I've listed above? Not asking for appraisals- just general ideas on whether or not these look like decent ones to hang onto for the long haul.

First of all, I don't believe for a second that the free .info promo has or will have any significant or long-term effect on the value of truly decent names. On one hand, while this promo may depress the value at re-seller level, its also likely to enhance values at end-user level due to increased awareness that it was intended for. I also believe that "good" .info names will continue to appreciate in value every year significantly more than the added cost of their yearly registration fee. Having said that, its also a fact that many times, it'd take years before one gets to sell a name at a true end-user price, so this fact has to be factored in when maintaining a relatively large portfolio. Overall, its a rather complex, multi-factorial, business decision.

I'd try to illustrate another important point with a couple of you names, listed above, since they happen to belong to a field I'm familar with.

First, regarding MDReference.info, it has zero count on OVT suggestion tool and only 3K Google results for "md reference". So, I'd not register it even if it was available now and offered at 50% discount fee. One might think that if its free (recent promo) whats it you've to loose but I'd argue that at least it'd cost you time to keep up with the regs and decision-making process whether to renew them or not next year. On the other hand, MedicalReference.info, although longer is definitely valuable and was regged a couple of days after the registry opened in 2001.

Now your name MedicalTerms.info has an OVT count of 26K and 1.5 Million Google results for "medical terms". I'd be personally willing to pay you 2-3 times of your original reg fee (unless you got it regged with Netsol at $30/year !!). Let me know if that interests you since that would be 200-300% profit in less than 12 months; in what other business you'd expect an ROI like that?

I hope my above comments would help illustrate that its not exactly the amount of reg fee thats important but rather the specific qualities of the name.

Last edited:
•••
Binfus said:
First of all, I don't believe for a second that the free .info promo has or will have any significant or long-term effect on the value of truly decent names. On one hand, while this promo may depress the value at re-seller level, its also likely to enhance values at end-user level due to increased awareness that it was intended for. I also believe that "good" .info names will continue to appreciate in value every year significantly more than the added cost of their yearly registration fee. Having said that, its also a fact that many times, it'd take years before one gets to sell a name at a true end-user price, so this fact has to be factored in when maintaining a relatively large portfolio. Overall, its a rather complex, multi-factorial, business decision.

I'd try to illustrate another important point with a couple of you names, listed above, since they happen to belong to a field I'm familar with.

First, regarding MDReference.info, it has zero count on OVT suggestion tool and only 3K Google results for "md reference". So, I'd not register it even if it was available now and offered at 50% discount fee. One might think that if its free (recent promo) whats it you've to loose but I'd argue that at least it'd cost you time to keep up with the regs and decision-making process whether to renew them or not next year. On the other hand, MedicalReference.info, although longer is definitely valuable and was regged a couple of days after the registry opened in 2001.

Now your name MedicalTerms.info has an OVT count of 26K and 1.5 Million Google results for "medical terms". I'd be personally willing to pay you 2-3 times of your original reg fee (unless you got it regged with Netsol at $30/year !!). Let me know if that interests you since that would be 200-300% profit in less than 12 months; in what other business you'd expect an ROI like that?

I hope my above comments would help illustrate that its not exactly the amount of reg fee thats important but rather the specific qualities of the name.

man , what a complete answer .... :o
post more often lol ....

•••
To my mind the acid test is that you paid to register these names. You valued them at the time, and a "free" promotion shouldn't cloud your judgement. These freebies are really a marketing ploy, good publicity, lots of registrations etc etc. I'm sure they've done their homework on what they think will be the retention rate on these freebies down the track. Thats when the freebies turn into sales. Good domain names will always be that, just need to ride out the peaks and troughs. Whats the old saying "buy low, sell high and you cant go wrong". Just my 2 cents worth.

•••
Grrilla said:

RepairGuide.INFO
MedicalTerms.INFO
MDReference.INFO
EuroGuide.INFO
TeenAdvice.INFO

I think that sticking along the lines of directory and portal like names are a wise decision as they often fit the .info extension more appropriately. I've stayed along that path as well with my .infos I've registered. I'd definitely stick with RepairGuide.info, MedicalTerms.info, and TeenAdvice.info for sure and wait for the right offers to come along.

There's huge potential for MedicalTerms.info as the medical Industry is huge and a website on terms and definitions could be a big success. Those three definitely have potential and well worth the renewal fees. I wouldn't just settle for a cheap sale now just to be making a sale, as they are worth much more than that in the long haul. If you just stay in there and wait it out then I'm sure you'll receive very nice sales on them, as the value can only increase. :imho:

I wish you all the best with them. :)

•••
Why don't you put the whole list of them in the Appraisal forum. Keep the ones that appraise high and ditch the ones that appraise low or reg fee. Let the market decide.

•••
Grrilla said:
Truly appreciate the advice. Keeping keywords and search terms in mind is a good reminder and will help me w/my "sifting". $1.00-$1.25 throughout 2005? Woa! That puts yet, another spin onto .info, at least for the near term. Have to give some thought to this. Will certainly move .info up into the upper echelon of total # names registered tld-wise.

I think the .info registry may be developing a ploy to overtake the popularity of .net domains to become teh second most popular gTLD. Maybe before some other registrar actually promotes it, if verisign loses .net renewal next year.

•••
spikedo said:
Let the market decide.

Unfortunately, the "market" is not mature enough yet to give a reasonably accurate valuation appraisals; 5 or so years ago, any domain (however crappy) presented to other domainers on forums (like old Afternic) would almost always get a minimal appraisal of at least a few K...now, may be the pendulum has swung the other way, not becuase that crappy names are more common than then, but may be because the market has over-corrected itself. Then, there's often some self-serving bias and/or motives at play among other domainers when appraising other's names.

•••
Binfus said:
Then, there's often some self-serving bias and/or motives at play among other domainers when appraising other's names.

I have noticed this change between the old afternic where appraisals were high to inflate the market and the forums where I think many are way too low. I've often wondered if this is to encourage that person to sell or let drop so the appraiser has a chance to get a real bargain.

•••
Thx for helping me get my neurons clicking on this.
A year ago, I wasn't as diligent in doing my homework as I am today, and was more apt to reg names that I liked based upon their branding potential. Since March almost all of the "branders" that I have registered are 3 character or dictionary names. Other than these, almost all of my names are checked on WordTracker, OVT, Google, Alexa and WaybackMachine, (when applicable). I also visit sites with same name/other tld's and sometimes look at DN sales sites to get a larger overview. I guess I've just been a little lazy w/ these names, and should have done my homework before posting.
regarding MDReference.info, it has zero count on OVT suggestion tool and only 3K Google results for "md reference". So, I'd not register it even if it was available now and offered at 50% discount fee.
MDReference.info could be branded and promoted despite the poor Ovt numbers, but as I think more about it, I wouldn't reg the .info today, but , would reg the .com if avail. My reasoning probably was that, strictly speaking, the .info is the most appropriate tld for the name. But the reality is that I am not willing to wait the 4-5 years that .info probably needs to justify regging a "brander", unless it is *very* good, indeed.
Now your name MedicalTerms.info has an OVT count of 26K and 1.5 Million Google results for "medical terms". I'd be personally willing to pay you 2-3 times of your original reg fee
Thankyou for your generous offer. I'm primarily interested in the enduser market and development to a lesser degree and, unless I lose interest and decide to drop a name, I generally don't sell at wholesale and am prepared to wait it out for a few years. I will tweak a price downward for a reseller, but I think more along the lines of a 50% discount off the bottom target price, rather than the 200%-300% profit, above reg fee, that can be realized in the short term.
Why don't you put the whole list of them in the Appraisal forum. Keep the ones that appraise high and ditch the ones that appraise low or reg fee. Let the market decide.
Thx, although this would seem to be a good way to go, I don't think the appraisal board would appreciate a request to appraise 30+ names. Also, although I see the board as being very useful and helpful, I am not always inclined to agree w/ the appraisals. The group concensus is even off at times. ie Are info's being scrutinized a little more now, than they were prior to Sept?
think that sticking along the lines of directory and portal like names are a wise decision as they often fit the .info extension more appropriately. I've stayed along that path as well with my .infos I've registered. I'd definitely stick with RepairGuide.info, MedicalTerms.info, and TeenAdvice.info for sure and wait for the right offers to come along.
There's huge potential for MedicalTerms.info as the medical Industry is huge and a website on terms and definitions could be a big success. Those three definitely have potential and well worth the renewal fees. I wouldn't just settle for a cheap sale now just to be making a sale, as they are worth much more than that in the long haul. If you just stay in there and wait it out then I'm sure you'll receive very nice sales on them, as the value can only increase.
I wish you all the best with them.
Thankyou, my brothers. I needed a little encouragement, concerning my info regs. I've been so focused on 3LL, 3Char, and the drop market lately, I lost sight of what my original vision was w/ the .info regs.
I think the .info registry may be developing a ploy to overtake the popularity of .net domains to become teh second most popular gTLD. Maybe before some other registrar actually promotes it, if verisign loses .net renewal next year.
Very interesting and new info to me. Adoptable, you continue to have a knack for bringing insightful and fresh ideas to the table. Will keep an eye on thispotential development.
TX everyone for the help. Time to go and run some .infos through the gauntlet. :D

Last edited:
•••
with only $1 regs I'd just keep em all, its not much to lose but the change in between your couch cushions.... lol

•••
Binfus said:
First of all, I don't believe for a second that the free .info promo has or will have any significant or long-term effect on the value of truly decent names.

Absolutely fus, just like lousy 3726sex8.com names won't affect the value of .COM (alternatives and increased awareness in them will).

•••
with only $1 regs I'd just keep em all, its not much to lose but the change in between your couch cushions.... lol
Renewals are not $1. For the registrar, the payoff on a promotion is, in fact, the renewal at full rate. I recieved an email a couple of mos ago offering transfers fo $4.95, but I was not ready and I think it ended, 30 Nov.
Overall, I'm looking at hundred's of names in the near future. I don't know what kind of pocket change you carry around that ends up in your couch but my couch is a little lean in that respect, (although there are, I'm certain, some interesting artifacts down there.) :D

•••
They are all keepers IMHO.. Keep them and you won't regret it in the near future ;) :tu:

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
I've often wondered if this is to encourage that person to sell or let drop so the appraiser has a chance to get a real bargain.

:bingo:

I've myself wondered quite often about the suspicious coincidence when I'd put up pretty decent names for appraisals on forums, would get many appraisals like "reg fee" or "XX to low XXX" or "I don't see any value in it" and then all of a sudden starting to get unsolicited e-mail inquries about the same name(s) with offers in the same ballpark range as in the forum apprasials.

•••
Originally Posted by BinfusThen, there's often some self-serving bias and/or motives at play among other domainers when appraising other's names.
I have noticed this change between the old afternic where appraisals were high to inflate the market and the forums where I think many are way too low. I've often wondered if this is to encourage that person to sell or let drop so the appraiser has a chance to get a real bargain.
Beware of the disingenuous, (TX Nexus- love that word), domainer who's sly posts are meant to misguide the unwary. Your little gem will end up in his portfolio for a pittance, and you will be saddenned by this turn of events. I got screwed this way back in the days, and shame on me if I let it happen again.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back