NameSilo

.info .INFO hits 3 Million regs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mole

Insectivora MemberEstablished Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Looks like soon - huh ?

lol - Maybe if you go ahead and buy this :

icouldntfindanygoodnamessoiregisteredthis.info: available

Plenty of type in traffic I'm sure -lol -

•••
How many .info domains will be registered this time next year?

Quite a few less than 3 million I bet!

•••
I wouldn't be so surprised, I mean .info domains were being offered for free in the beginning of September which was a great move I guess.

•••
taheny said:
How many .info domains will be registered this time next year?
Quite a few less than 3 million I bet!

Would you like to put some money on that ;)

I'll take that there will be more .Info's .... My Crystal Ball better not fail me - lol

•••
well info's were registered ....
let's see how will be the development phase ..lol :wave:

•••
Good point!

vimkar said:

•••
We'll just have to wait till next year to see the percentage of these .info domains that will be deleted. ;)

•••
Well, if you are a believer (I am) in .info, you might be able to pick up some goodies this time next year. As I have said on other threads, I think .info will rise because it's intuitive to use and remember. Many of us are biased because we are early users. Less sophisticated users and youth will resist using "strange" TLD's, and will be less of an issue.
I believe one day .info will be as widely used as .net (if not more).
Of course, this is IMHO!

best regards,
-Andrew

•••
vimkar said:

Google can help: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=site:.info

15.8 Million pages all together under the .INFO TLD. Not spectacular, but surely not some fad either.

.CC only has 3.5 million and .WS only has 2.6 million, and .TV only has 3.1 million. Despite the fact that all of these have been around much longer. So yes, people are actually using the .INFO TLD, As well .BIZ only has 7.6 million.

•••
HellFear said:
We'll just have to wait till next year to see the percentage of these .info domains that will be deleted. ;)

I have a few if I can I won't let drop...

•••
lol - I have more pages on my desktop than .sc has in goog ~

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=site:.sc

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 61,200 for site:.sc. (0.32 seconds)

Odd .... Exactly a tength ????

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 328,000,000 for site:.com. (0.31 seconds)

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 32,800,000 for site:.gov. (0.22 seconds)

Last edited:
•••
well i wouldnt expept anything less than 3mil regged
the way registers were giving them away :lol:

•••
I have shown a few examples about business using .info in their business advertisements in both well-known magazines and newspapers. I see bright future in this extension with the right word to match the .ext. :)

Flora.

•••
Say whatever but most of the .info are useless
Most persons just registered them since they were free to register

San

Last edited:
•••
all4cost said:
Would you like to put some money on that ;)

I'll take that there will be more .Info's .... My Crystal Ball better not fail me - lol

Are you so sure there will be more than 3 million .info's registered by this time next year or are you joking? ;)

•••
I think there will be a large wave of drops come next Sept, but mostly the bad or frivolous names that never would have been regged, to begin with, if they would have cost money. The better names will stick, and because they, (the better ones). will have been thouroughly mined and will no longer be avail for open registration, their values will appreciate based upon supply/demand.

There are 2 basic TLD categories - .COM and .Other TLDs.
The question is which one of the .OtherTLDs will emerge as the *Global* leader?
.Net will continue to be global, but will also continue to be limited in scope to the internet/communications/tech content that .net implies.

.Biz will primarily be used to fill the needs of regional/localized business, and for redirection to it's .com counterpart.

Although the scope for the use of .Org has increased to include business and informational sites, it will always, ultimately, be associated w/ organizations and in most instances, doesn't suit business or informational content as well as other TLD choices that are available.

The Internet = Commerce and Information.

IMO, .Info is a natural. It will become universally accepted and globally recognized and, therefore, is the heir apparent to the number two spot on the TLD hierarchy, regardless of whether or not there are 3 Millon or 2.5 millon regged come Sept.

Last edited:
•••
superprogrammer said:
Say whatever but most of the .info are useless
Most persons just registered them since they were free to register

San

There have been many a time in the last 3+ years that demise of .info was predicted with certainty and (I should add) with anticipatory glee. For instance the widespread predictions that there would be massive drops at the 2-year anniversary of .info release and that would practically mark the end of the tld.

IMO, .info is now well passed beyond that. No, its not going to become .com, or for that matter, even .de or .co.uk but it has already establised a solid presence at a grassroots level than many would realize. Many cities/towns, chambers of commerces, public libraries, states and counties, even some countries, and countless small-medium sized business (some big ones too) and individuals are already using it. It is quite interesting to note that much of this development is not around the types of names that would be considered of any value in the domainer community...i.e. one would see mostly 2-3 words long, hyphenated names developed and being used by these end-users...why? Primarily, because they realize the extension is much more suitable for their online purpose/objective and also probably due to the fact that in many cases similar names in more coveted extensions were either already with end-users or being used for ppc pages. Yes, most of the promo .infos collected by domainers will drop simply because by the time the promo began there were hardly any names left that would be of value in the aftermarket. On the other hand, many many of these promos are being regged by end-users, especially in third world countries where it can mean a lot to be able to save a few dollars on the first year registration; these end-users would not just renew their regs at the end of their first year but meanwhile will help further establish the presence of the tld from the bottom up. We, as domainers, have somewhat of a narrow focus and mostly all we know is what other domainers are upto and not much about the end-user behaviors....no matter how many free/promo regs our brethern get, they'd always pale in comparison to the ordinary regs by millions of regular folks around the globe.

Last edited:
•••
I think it will depend on what kind of renewal incentive they offer registrars come Sept. and whether registrars pass it on to us or not. I also think we're going to continue to see cheap Infos, under $3, maybe even under $2 at some registrars, for a long time to come. Don't count them out yet.

•••
after all they were free for awhile and quite a few people jumped on those deals..

•••
•••
After the .info orgy, are you much less likely to BUY one -- ever?

Yeah, probably.

•••
I say, way to go! But expect at least half of them to drop by the end of the year :)

:lol: .info orgy... so true

•••
matrics said:
I say, way to go! But expect at least half of them to drop by the end of the year :)

:lol: .info orgy... so true

Agree 100%...like I said, especially the ones scooped up by domainers and the likes of those now showing up in their forum signatures as "For Sale"... :|

•••
Perhaps I was too harsh.

At best from the proliferation they will generate some more development of .info and a lot more reseller listings.

If the doubling of activity gets some end-user response maybe this was a smart gimmick.

But I can't think that for the reputation of .info is ruined in the reseller community.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back