IT.COM

.info .Info for my Graphics Company?

NameSilo
Watch
Im soon launching a website for my graphic design company. I was wondering if to buy a .INFO or a .COM. The website wont be selling ANYTHING, and will basiclly hold information to what we do and a portfolio of our work weve did.

.INFO has the domain we want but .COM dont. Whats best?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The answer is NO NO NO, do not take a .info for your graphic design company. If the .com is not available then .net or .org or ccTLD. Not .info or .biz which would make the company look cheapskate.

•••
Point taken :) Im gonna see if the .net is available.

•••
Don't use .info! It's not for any company, it wouldn't work well! Even if it's an information site it's still bad using .info

•••
yoshiwara said:
The answer is NO NO NO, do not take a .info for your graphic design company. If the .com is not available then .net or .org or ccTLD. Not .info or .biz which would make the company look cheapskate.
.Net is ok
ccTLD for your own Country is ok
.ORG for a Business Looks Stupid

.BIZ Is it available ??
.info is OK As well

If you can't get the .com ,Maybe need to select a New Name and get the .com
Do you really want to give the Owners of the .com your type-in traffic

Last edited:
•••
well not really but ive done alot of artwork with my logo on so all that work would go to waste.

•••
.Info's Are ok, I love them
And leviathon Why don't you like them
the extension is spelt .INFO as in Infomation
not .CRAP

I have .info's that earned their Reg Fee in a week or less
I have various .TLD's that are dogs ,but almost all my .info's pay their own way

Last edited:
•••
Been a long time since I have seen info bashed this hard in one place. Nothing wrong with .info --CONTENT RULES--. Develop the .info and point other ext to it. You are furnishing INFOrmation about your work.

Check http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=roseville+art+pottery&FORM=QBRE and look at the ext of the #2 result. This site went live 4/28/05 and is still under development.

•••
leviathon said:
Even if it's an information site it's still bad using .info

I respectfully disagree. The .INFO namespace has enjoyed a successful year in sales and development. Just because there was a free .info giveaway (and a lot of low quality domains in circulation because of it) doesn't take away the progress or legitimacy of the extension.

It should also be noted that .info is more popular outside America. Even though we like to think we set the standards for the world, there are lots of other countries and a billion people out there who don't care what 'we' think.

•••
yoshiwara said:
Not .info or .biz which would make the company look cheapskate.

:lol: A lot of very good .COM names wallow in extremely cheapstake looking PPC store-fronts.

It's how you do up the site that will determine if you look cheapstake or not.

Resellers often think .INFO and .BIZ are cheapskate only because these names are loads more affordable, in most cases, than .COM. Having said that, I have bought many .COMs for lower prices than many of my .INFO and .BIZ domains - it just depends on whether the registrant of the name is smoking weed or not.

leviathon said:
Don't use .info! It's not for any company, it wouldn't work well! Even if it's an information site it's still bad using .info

There is some truth to that, imho. .BIZ is a better fit if its a B2B outfit, and graphics design is often B2B.

•••
mole said:
Having said that, I have bought many .COMs for lower prices than many of my .INFO and .BIZ domains - it just depends on whether the registrant of the name is smoking weed or not.

:lol:

Alcohol too.... don't forget alcohol.

•••
Any chance the owners of the .com would sell :)

•••
As everyone says u shld go for .info . For ur company .com or .net or .org r the best.

•••
I would choose .com. To a .com you can add a info subdomain at any time. :)

•••
For the sake of two bucks you can't secure the .info?

.com takes precedance in most cases, it's a must in my opinion.

You may aswell get both, develop one and point the leftover to the other...

•••
If the .com is taken then trying adding a spare descriptive word. eg NameCo, NameDesign etc. Get the .info aswell but i'd market around the dotcom.

If the .com is taken then trying adding a spare descriptive word. eg NameCo, NameDesign etc. Get the .info aswell but i'd market around the dotcom.

•••
Good point about content.. so many forget that any extension can be made to work if the site is developed and branded... the .ext is the least of the equation IMO.

hark said:
Nothing wrong with .info --CONTENT RULES--. Develop the .info and point other ext to it. You are furnishing INFOrmation about your work.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back