Dynadot

Industry-wide Need For Domainer Portfolio Management Service

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is this type of service one you would pay for if it were available tomorrow?

CDM

Established Member
Impact
As I laid out in a recent tweet:

I believe there is a need in the domain industry for a domainer focused portfolio management service. It's a service I'd definitely be willing to pay for, so I suspect others would as well.

I'm not talking about corporate domain portfolio management, like a Mark Monitor, I mean something targeted to domainers, that would help ease routine, day-to-day administrative burdens such as:

- transfer newly acquired names to consolidated registrar after 60-day lock is up
- list new names at marketplaces, including verification (changing name servers back and forth, etc)
- making updates and adjustments as needed (changing prices, switching from bin to make offer, etc)

I'm sure there are plenty of other tasks, it seems like from my own experience various tasks and demands come up on an ad-hoc basis, which is one of the reasons I don't personally want to hire/train someone as I believe it would take me longer to explain and oversee someone doing these ad-hoc, one-off tasks than if I just do them myself. But if a company started such a service and has a trained stable of account managers, maybe each one is working with 5 - 10 domainers, and they are trained up on the ins-and-outs and quirks of the various registrars and marketplaces, without the threat of constant turnover (i.e. I hire someone, train them on all the complexities of these systems then they don't even last 6 months and have to do it all over again).

I covered some additional thoughts in my tweet, including risks such as insuring against domain theft.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts, do you think there is a need. Is it the type of service you would use? I created a poll where you can answer if you wish.

For me, I feel blessed to be a domainer. It's a job I can wake up each morning and be excited for the day. On the other hand, dealing with the administrative aspects, particularly with what I consider to be many buggy and let's say "challenged" software platforms that can easily suck the joy out of my day, (won't name names, though I did name one in my tweet, but you know there are some really great platforms and some really sucky ones). So as much as it is freeing up more time to work on acquisitions and sales, it's moreover alleviating a constant pain point, things that can very easily turn into 'headaches' and killjoys that bleed into the rest of my day/work/life.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So today is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. For some reason Namejet has created 4 different accounts for me at Network Solutions from backorders, and yesterday two got sent to one of the 'randos' that is not my primary. I couldn't remember or find the password for this one, so did the 'reset password' and am getting an error message that the password reset can't be processed at this time. Now I am on a chat support that is going on at least 20 minutes already, and probably will go on another 10 or more before they tell me they will have to get back to me or something. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about that seems like a near daily occurrence with domain administration. I'm grateful for all the upside and opportunity these companies bring me in terms of making a living, but they also seem to really excel at creating more work for their customers. These are the kind of things you need a 'lackey' to deal with. You are running a business for God's sake. This is not what business owners should be wasting time on.

•••
And to reiterate my original tweet, this is just a god awful way to start the day

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back