NameSilo

Inactive usernames

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
Is it possible to 'claim' an inactive username?

I'd like to go by "Jamie" but said user has 2 posts and hasn't been online since 2002.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no, that is not possible.

•••
It was more of a question to see if admins would free up the name for me or someone else.

•••
Do you think you are the first case ever? :)
It has been asked already.

•••
•••
Wrong answer bud!

Yes it's absolutely possible. Ask admin to change your username to the inactive account members. That's exactly how I got my username ;)

•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Bummer, glad it was relaxed when I got mine.

This seems to be twitter-like. Give away or delete a username, can't claim as many users. Security shouldn't be the issue when an account is clearly abandoned.

•••
•••
Hmm, that's doesn't seem to be fair....
I remember I've asked "em" as username and I wasn't allowed.
https://www.namepros.com/members/em.4847/
Joined and last activity is the same date.Feb 13, 2004. zero posts! I remember that Eric mentioned security reasons...
So in this case I should claim "em" as my username

•••
•••
Still, regarding my specific case. Can I get "em" ?

•••
I asked RJ a few years ago and was issued the username almost instantly.

Oh well, security is important I suppose!

•••
Eric you should make a rule regarding this.
For ex. Usernames that have not posted and/or visit the forum at all can be recycled.
If the user comes back after 10 years (em case) than you can give that user the name em1 (user1) and so on.

•••
Update: Read bottom of this post.

Eric you should make a rule regarding this.
For ex. Usernames that have not posted and/or visit the forum at all can be recycled.
If the user comes back after 10 years (em case) than you can give that user the name em1 (user1) and so on.
I understand your frustration with not being able to acquire the username you want due to security reasons. However, Please try to understand that this policy is in place to help keep the community a safer place to conduct business and socialize with industry leaders. Having a marketplace that facilitates business transactions changes things a bit and requires heightened security measures due to the high rate of fraud seen in our industry. Everything we do, we do to assist in the protection of our members.

While this matter may seem trivial / small to some, the bigger picture can be devastating to others that have fallen victim to predators or had their identity compromised in a way that smeared their business. We try to treat everyone fair and not show any favoritism. This approach has helped us keep our front-line / first-response security stronger.

We do value you as a member and I want to point out that it's members like yourself that keep NamePros the most active domain community in the world. When we couple dedicated members like yourself with better security, we get a community and marketplace everyone trusts and wants to be a part of.

Thank you for your contributions and for understanding our stance on this matter.

Update: New policies allow us to recover old usernames that haven't been used in years and reassign them if we feel it prudent to do so. More info: https://www.namepros.com/threads/username-changes.1047406/

•••
As you can see Keith, I was right :)

•••
i dont have any NP$ to change my username.. :(

•••
•••
A lot of these accounts are "dummy" accounts and all have the same join month and year in 2002 and 0 messages. They have never been owned by a human, so what is the security concern there?

Almost every "premium" username falls under the dummy account category.

•••
A lot of these accounts are "dummy" accounts and all have the same join month and year in 2002 and 0 messages. They have never been owned by a human, so what is the security concern there?

Almost every "premium" username falls under the dummy account category.
As per the rules, Free members are only allowed "1" account. These "Premium" accounts you speak of that were created way back in the day with the very first members that signed up when NP was brand new still have to abide by the same rules in place today. That means that if one of them try to create a new account today, it would be closed & they would be instructed to use their original account from 2002 / 03 / 04 etc (what ever their first account signup was). - As stated before, this has already happened many times as veteran members return to the industry several years later.

The below 5 are the most obvious reasons for our policy regarding this topic.

1. Maintaining Security Protocol - (This covers the security measures I've already provided a general overview for)
2. Combating Deception - (This helps prevent manipulation of others with false credentials, Rep, Signup date, itrader, etc.)
3. No Favoritism - (This helps keep the rules intact and fair for everyone)
4. Investigations - (This assists in security by allowing us to identify situations that may require legal action or immediate account suspension in order to protect members from potential harm.)
5. Preventing Fraud / Crime - (E.g. Shill bidding, Identity theft, Habitual Offenders, Scammers, Thieves, etc.)

While I appreciate you contacting me through FB for a username change, the answer remains the same here as it did there. We do not re-assign usernames unless it was a username you already had once prior to a paid username change.

Thanks for understanding. :)

Update: New policies allow us to recover old usernames that haven't been used in years and reassign them if we feel it prudent to do so.

More info: https://www.namepros.com/threads/username-changes.1047406/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back