NameSilo

domain I'm new. Do you think my Google Wave related domain name will be worth anything?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never done any domaining before, but it sounds like something interesting to do on the side. Google recently announced their Wave application, which could one day replace the email standard. I went ahead and searched for all the interesting names I could think of with "wave" in the title. I registered the only decent one I found:

lolwave.com

I have no idea if it will be worth anything, but for only $10, I thought I'd give it a try. What do you think? If it isn't common knowledge around here, here is a link to info about Google Wave:
About Google Wave

I'm also wondering if clever, but misspelled names are ever worth anything. I registered this one simply because I like it and may use it for something later:

LstFoound.com

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If google creates a trademark called wave. And you make a site about it with wave in the domain, you are infringing on their trademark. Hence it will be worth $0 and possibly in the - when they sue you.

I'd avoid this sort of name.

Granted this name can currently be used for something totally unrelated, but it is not that good tbh.

•••
That makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

If google creates a trademark called wave. And you make a site about it with wave in the domain, you are infringing on their trademark. Hence it will be worth $0 and possibly in the - when they sue you.

Granted this name can currently be used for something totally unrelated, but it is not that good tbh.

•••

I disagree with this and here is why.

Much like "tube" which is a generic established for video long before You Tube came along. "Wave" has been a generic term for communication long before google ever thought using the term. That is why they chose it. It is not like Twitter which is a made up name protected by a TM.

The following are dictionary meanings for "wave". All relate to use as a social network.

1. a widespread feeling, opinion, tendency, etc.: a wave of anti-intellectualism; the new wave of installment buying.

2. A vibration propagated from particle to particle through a body or elastic medium, as in the transmission of sound; an assemblage of vibrating molecules in all phases of a vibration, with no phase repeated; a wave of vibration; an undulation. See Undulation.

Simply put, all forms of media communication occur via waves, (sound waves, video waves etc) Google Wave is an open source platform. I expect similar widespread use of wave domains just as is the case with tube domains.

•••
Well put, thanks for that! I won't be developing the domain, so there should be no risk of me getting sued. I'll just hold onto it and see what the situation is like a year from now when I need to either renew it or let it go. Hopefully, as you say, "wave" domains will be common.

I don't really know anything about this stuff, but funny is practically a currency on the internet, and "lol" is pretty widely used. If Wave takes off, maybe lolwave.com will be worth something to somebody who wants to host collections of funny Waves...hah, I don't know. It will be fun to see what happens.

I disagree with this and here is why.

Much like "tube" which is a generic established for video long before You Tube came along. "Wave" has been a generic term for communication long before google ever thought using the term. That is why they chose it. It is not like Twitter which is a made up name protected by a TM.

The following are dictionary meanings for "wave". All relate to use as a social network.

1. a widespread feeling, opinion, tendency, etc.: a wave of anti-intellectualism; the new wave of installment buying.

2. A vibration propagated from particle to particle through a body or elastic medium, as in the transmission of sound; an assemblage of vibrating molecules in all phases of a vibration, with no phase repeated; a wave of vibration; an undulation. See Undulation.

Simply put, all forms of media communication occur via waves, (sound waves, video waves etc) Google Wave is an open source platform. I expect similar widespread use of wave domains just as is the case with tube domains.

•••
Sorry, I posted my message in Domain Discussion, as it seemed more appropriate.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
•••
I don't think you'll have any TM issues with this name at all. If a company successfully put a TM on "wave" I still think that you'd be OK. The likening to tube above is a perfect example. There are literally Hundreds of "tube" sites.

It's not lolgooglewave[.]com so your not infringing any tm. It's a speculatory domain name. Not worth alot right now, but its 10 bucks that may eventually multiply 10fold. See what's up in a year..

Good luck w/ it ;)

•••
No TM issues at all. So no worries.
Suggest you to develop or put some minisite before starting marketing

•••
I hope you guys are right. After watching the google wave video I was blown away and decided it's going to be a game-changer on the internet. I literally went and bought about 30 "wave" domain names. Some of them are pretty good I think, with lots of potential. The thing about TM worried me, but I am hoping it will be a non-issue.

•••
LstFoound.com

Typo of which established website exactly?? It is not clever, and DO NOT REGISTER TYPOS!

lolwave.com - worth nothing.

Last edited:
•••
Lolwave is worth zero imo/

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back