NameSilo

If you were starting an affiliate store...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
If you could start any kind of affiliate e-commerce site, what area would you choose? What areas would you stay away from?

Interested in trying something, but not sure what...

thanks!
P

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Think specialty markets. Sure, you won't see as much overall traffic but the traffic you do get will be more interested in your products. Long tail marketing.

•••
Think specialty markets. Sure, you won't see as much overall traffic but the traffic you do get will be more interested in your products. Long tail marketing.

Thanks for the response. How long a tail?:D

Can you throw me an example? doesn't have to be anything you're working on.

Thanks for the reply.

•••
What do you know and what are you interested in? Go with what you know.

Just putting up products from someone's datafeed won't get you sales or Google love. Affiliate sites need some added value to succeed. Going with a topic where you have interest, knowledge, or at least know the major players and understand the market, gives you an advantage.

Making an affiliate site on something you know nothing about either means taking the effort to get up to speed on it, or a lame half-assed attempt. Most lame, half-assed affiliate ventures are abandoned as failures within months.

Doesn't have to be a really obscure long-tail topic, but do something relatively focused rather than something that's very broad. The less competition the better, but you have to gauge that against demand and the payout. And on how effectively your site converts to sales.

Selling purple paper clips would be a very focused niche and there's probably little to no competition, but you're not likely to make much on it either :).

•••
you could also try a dropshipping site, that way you can make more profit, with affiliate store you can only make a percentage of the sale

•••
Yeah, true. I still have some of my half-assed ventures on the web. I keep them around though because they have taught me what works and what doesn't. Should probably just pull the plug on them though. But nostalgia says no. lol.

Were you searching for an example of an affiliate site done right? Well, it is hard to know how well they actually do without their conversion rates handy. You can have a site that looks wonderful, but converts terrible. I have done well on the product domains, others focus on services like dating. Like enlytend says, stick to something you are interested in and therefore you will be more motivated to create content and update the site on a regular basis.

Money isn't necessarily the main motivator for everyone. You need to be interested in your topic of choice to make it work. Either that or outsource your content, which does work for some. Check services like oDesk if you are interested in that.

•••
from electronics and jewelries,it is quite profitable

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back