IT.COM

discuss IF YOU DONT OWN DOT COM YOU DONT HAVE MUCH!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
Well after all the hype and hoopla and support ive had over the years trying to support other tlds its now time to admit, IF YOU DONT OWN THE DOT COM YOU DONT HAVE MUCH!

Dot com dot com dot com

No other will do, no other will take its place, no other has its value, no other has a chance against it!!!

I don't care if its now or 20 years from now if you don't own the dot com you are setting yourself up for a loss period end of story!

So to all you newbies, save your $$$$ now and buy or hand reg ONLY dot coms cause if you don't you will find you messed up bigtime!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
To me,

123.com = Ferrari
123.xyz = Ford

I would much rather the Ferrari over the Ford. But, there still may be value in a Ford. I cannot afford the Ferrari. I can afford the Ford. Will they both get me from point A to B? Yes. Though, I would get more looks with the Ferrari.

In other words, I would prefer to get the Ferrari (.com), but am willing to drive the Ford (gTLD) and still enjoy the drive. (In the case of a Cobra Shelby...I would be more than happy to get a replica.)

•••
How can i take this thread seriously? is this 2002?
OP sounds like a non .com hater...

•••
•••
•••
Well, Ferrari shares are currently around $42, while you can get Ford shares are around $14 each. But that doesnt really tell me how much money I can make investing in them.
One day you invest in Volkswagen, the next day they are in big trouble over some software scandal and they might lose billions on claims.
All nice comparisons, but completely irrelevant if you try to make a point whats better........

•••
2002?? huh??

if u read every post I wrote u would see I own lots of non dot coms mate but if u don't own the com u have pretty much less than stellar domains imo

the most I ever made was on a dot co in 2012 btw but ive learned that if u don't own the com u r doing yourself a disfavour bigtime

btw alarmist thread titles attract more people to post !

•••
Last edited:
•••
Well, Ferrari shares are currently around $42, while you can get Ford shares are around $14 each. But that doesnt really tell me how much money I can make investing in them.
One day you invest in Volkswagen, the next day they are in big trouble over some software scandal and they might lose billions on claims.
All nice comparisons, but completely irrelevant if you try to make a point whats better........

+10% is 10% eg if you spent $100 on either share lol it wouldn't matter which shares you own it just means you'd own more ford shares etc both stocks would be worth around $110 allegedly

•••
•••
•••
They used to say that IBM was the only serious computer for business'.
And it was true that business only bought IBM compatible computers.
And yet Apple is now the wealthiest company in the world.

But please keep buying those dot coms.
And leave the future to those of us with vision and imagination.

•••
That doesn't help when you're selling Amstrad clones or Robotron.
By the way, PCs are still more popular than Apple in office environments.

Personally I buy domains for two reasons: to resell them or to use them. Not to collect them. That's why I don't buy new extensions.

•••

@dna, JMHO, but I'm going to respectfully disagree with your analogy in this instance... Indeed, Apple bested IBM - The company is now ubiquitous and has high-quality, huge market share, universal brand recognition, nice big-business penetration and adoption, strong resale value... sounds a lot like... uhhh.... Dot Com! ;) (IMO, other extensions are more analogous to commodore, atari, osborne, next, etc... little guys that never sold much and have gone by the wayside over time...) Folks with "vision and imagination" bought into .travel, .pro, .aero and .mobi years ago... I'm sure you remember this having joined here back in 2004... I suspect we all know how these investments turned out in the long run... (I was a dot-mobi aficionado, and I'm still licking my wounds a decade later...:()

•••
@dna, JMHO, but I'm going to respectfully disagree with your analogy in this instance... Indeed, Apple bested IBM - The company is now ubiquitous and has high-quality, huge market share, universal brand recognition, nice big-business penetration and adoption, strong resale value... sounds a lot like... uhhh.... Dot Com! ;) (IMO, other extensions are more analogous to commodore, atari, osborne, next, etc... little guys that never sold much and have gone by the wayside over time...) Folks with "vision and imagination" bought into .travel, .pro, .aero and .mobi years ago... I'm sure you remember this having joined here back in 2004... I suspect we all know how these investments turned out in the long run... (I was a dot-mobi aficionado, and I'm still licking my wounds a decade later...:()

s2-e15-go-bigger-go-homeless-comic.png

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...hat-will-happen-to-new-gtld-investors.971597/

•••
•••
(IMO, other extensions are more analogous to commodore, atari, osborne, next, etc...
Exactly right: they will all finish in museums, or private collections !

•••
To me,

123.com = Ferrari
123.xyz = Ford

I would much rather the Ferrari over the Ford. But, there still may be value in a Ford. I cannot afford the Ferrari. I can afford the Ford. Will they both get me from point A to B? Yes. Though, I would get more looks with the Ferrari.

In other words, I would prefer to get the Ferrari (.com), but am willing to drive the Ford (gTLD) and still enjoy the drive. (In the case of a Cobra Shelby...I would be more than happy to get a replica.)

If you one day you can afford 123.com ; contact me ... It's the price of three brand new paganis ... Thanx

Last edited:
•••
•••
Let me think here for a minute ;)

Buy Three Brand New Paganis for a domain name that I can get the same traffic for with the Gtld variant ... (with "good knowledge" on SEO) And or pay the price of the door handle to the Pagani or Mclaren

Let me think about that ... Lol.

That amazes me. And it should to anyone. Quit discussing investor notions as we already know the names are not .com ... They never were trying to be ... Discuss these names to companies like Barclays who decided to buy Home.Barclays because the owner of Home.com wants a "miniature skyscraper" for his name or in aspects of automotives, a Bugatti 57SC, same one owned by Ralph Lauren ... Lmao

These are not assumptions ! These are stone cold facts.

•••
Let me think here for a minute ;)

Buy Three Brand New Paganis for a domain name that I can get the same traffic for with the Gtld variant ... (with "good knowledge" on SEO) And or pay the price of the door handle to the Pagani or Mclaren

Let me think about that ... Lol.

That amazes me. And it should to anyone. Quit discussing investor notions as we already know the names are not .com ... They never were trying to be ... Discuss these names to companies like Barclays who decided to buy Home.Barclays because the owner of Home.com wants a "miniature skyscraper" for his name or in aspects of automotives, a Bugatti 57SC, same one owned by Ralph Lauren ... Lmao

These are not assumptions ! These are stone cold facts.

Completely agree.

The reality is most end users couldn't care less about domains and won't spend much on them.
Many see domains as an annoying expense somewhat similar to web hosting which you need to pay for to have an online presence but that's it.

Yes some end users see the value in a premium .com but generally those that do are going for the uber premium names not decent/average .coms which you'll be lucky to clear $500 for most times whether it is a .com, cctld or GTLD. Of course some exceptions show middle of the road names selling big but % wise it doesn't happen that often.

The chinese market has crashed as well but still is pretty buoyant for really short and liquid domains, e.g. 2l.coms, 2/3n.coms etc. Whether this will continue forever having such crazy demand is another matter depending partly if more Chinese investors keep exiting (some big guns have left already).

I myself was looking at a .com for a business venture and the owner was being inflexible and I knew I would have to pay big to get it. My reaction was to make a mid $xxx final offer and failing that move on and buy another domain and save that money for traffic that I can drive to the other domain.

This is exactly what i've done and haven't looked back, I am happy with the decision. Herein lies the problem for domainers going forward, too many options and your Barclays example is another good point to show how domainers simply can't hold businesses to ransom anymore to pay up or else. There are all kinds of alternatives out there and more coming by the day.

Last edited:
•••
Completely agree.

The reality is most end users couldn't care less about domains and won't spend much on them.
Many see domains as an annoying expense somewhat similar to web hosting which you need to pay for to have an online presence but that's it.

Yes some end users see the value in a premium .com but generally those that do are going for the uber premium names not decent/average .coms which you'll be lucky to clear $500 for most times whether it is a .com, cctld or GTLD. Of course some exceptions show middle of the road names selling big but % wise it doesn't happen that often.

The chinese market has crashed as well but still is pretty buoyant for really short and liquid domains, e.g. 2l.coms, 2/3n.coms etc. Whether this will continue forever having such crazy demand is another matter depending partly if more Chinese investors keep exiting (some big guns have left already).

I myself was looking at a .com for a business venture and the owner was being inflexible and I knew I would have to pay big to get it. My reaction was to make a mid $xxx final offer and failing that move on and buy another domain and save that money for traffic that I can drive to the other domain.

This is exactly what i've done and haven't looked back, I am happy with the decision. Herein lies the problem for domainers going forward, too many options and your Barclays example is another good point to show how domainers simply can't hold businesses to ransom anymore to pay up or else. There are all kinds of alternatives out there and more coming by the day.

I also think you're incredibly right ! I am sure you know of LL.com that actually means something ... Won't say specifics, but use your imagination in terms of what every technology company is boasting about in today's news ;) if you can't figure it out, PM me ...

Well I presented that name to Microsoft at the same time they were buying LinkedIn out; lol.
"What a waste of money."

Microsoft said "it's not too rich for us at the moment but we also are aware of the Gtld market." Lol ;) that's coming from a company that spent $26.2B to acquire LinkedIn.

Boggles my mind honestly.

•••
Wired.com: .Com Is The Choice of VC Backed Startups

Why .Com is the Venture Capital Community's Power Player

THE VENTURE CAPITAL (VC) community is well aware of the value of a great domain name. In a recent essay, Paul Graham, venture capitalist and co-founder of the Y Combinator seed capital firm said, “The problem with not having the .com of your name is that it signals weakness.” It’s no wonder that 100 percent of the top 20 Y Combinator companies by valuation have the .com of their name.

Recent data shows that .com is the most popular domain extension for funded startups. That’s because its global recognition and unmatched security, stability and reliability lends instant credibility to brands associated with a .com domain name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The article goes on to quote Legendary domain investor Mike Mann...

Why is .com preferred by startups? “At the heart of the question is the level of familiarity and comfort level that people have with the .com domain extension,” said Mike Mann, CEO and founder of SEO.com and one of the world’s best known domain investors. Mann and many other domain and SEO experts agree that a long .com domain name is better, more memorable and less confusing to consumers than a short domain name on a lesser-known domain extension.

Mic drop... ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Agree with Wired article, it is sponsored content.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back