IT.COM

discuss IF YOU DONT OWN DOT COM YOU DONT HAVE MUCH!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
Well after all the hype and hoopla and support ive had over the years trying to support other tlds its now time to admit, IF YOU DONT OWN THE DOT COM YOU DONT HAVE MUCH!

Dot com dot com dot com

No other will do, no other will take its place, no other has its value, no other has a chance against it!!!

I don't care if its now or 20 years from now if you don't own the dot com you are setting yourself up for a loss period end of story!

So to all you newbies, save your $$$$ now and buy or hand reg ONLY dot coms cause if you don't you will find you messed up bigtime!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you should try asking people to visit "website dot word" to see how many even understand it is a domain?

•••
  • you should try asking people to visit "website dot word" to see how many even understand it is a domain?
    why don't u?
  • r u challenging me?
  • not sure what u even mean tbh? website dot word? doesn't even make sense!!!

•••
I saw an adverisement for "boo.movie" today. It was an exact match of the name of the movie "boo". Just wanted to share that.

•••
Recent data dump of 80 weeks worth of sales from DomainNameSales / Uniregistry very instructive as to relative strength of dot-com vs. competitors both in volume/value...

http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Quote:

.Coms swept 23 o the 25 chart entries with Sedo and Michael Mann's DomainMarket able to plant their flags alongside Uniregistry - Sedo doing it was #3 (tie) 1396.com at $60,000 and DomainMarket scoring with #15 AnimalsUnited.com at $39,000 (a domain Michael said he picked up for just $12 in 2012!).

The only non .com's on the elite list are a pair of .orgs sold by Uniregistry - #10 Ohio.org at$45,000 and #12 AssistedLiving.org at $40,000.

Last edited:
•••
25% of the gross revenue (Adsense) I make on minisites or live sites, is on a .us name - it was the only major TLD back then, and the keyword (oxycodone) was more important to simply get to the market (live online) that start fuddling with a variant in .com - yes I did of course research for .com options, but the .us fit perfectly in that case.

As a Canadian, I can say that .ca is *very* highly regarded by consumers and end-users... and I think the same is true for .de / .fr / co.uk and many other ccTLDs.

So I think a blanket statement for .com is way overreaching - just my $0.02

(Yes I have several .coms heheh)

•••
way overreaching?? man alive .ca is a great cctld but is not even in the same league as com as nothing is!

its all a load of baloney that anyone even has the audacity to put any ext into the same class as com especially a cctld!

come on u r all grasping at straws when doing it so get off it!

I own a lot of ca, xyz club coms etc etc

I just don't reg anything other than com and never will again cvause if u don't own the com u r losing out

enuff said im done!

•••
I think the post above reveals and clarifies much about the true value of this overall conversation : little if any business value, and actually detracting from the overall reputation of this site which has immensely increased as a whole over the last 3-4 years.

More of a rant thread. Although some follow up discussion within the thread has been valuable.

•••
As one member would say, amazing! I will say, I am proudly .CAnadian, our extension is clean and well trusted up here. Major companies are not blocking our extension as spam. I owned 100's of .ca sold lots of them, my focus is going to be on my extension more now. Lots of money to be made in the great white north
Even though I live in the boonies of BC bud, in a democratic country, I will always be a loyal supporter of the .COMmunist party. Nothing will ever .top .com
I don't really care about chips and china, there is enough money in the rest of the world to make me happy.

These new extensions selling at 1 penny each, it reeks. I don't trust the registry to have people buy their own extensions to inflate numbers. 10,000 reg a day is $100 through a registrar that they own in China.
Looks good on the graph, nice steady growth.
.com will always rule the world
.ca will always be the King of Canada
And i am cheering for .xyz because i have 9 names, and over $20 invested in it.
However to say its .com or .crap is wrong, there is money to be made in every extension, if your smart enough. Domaining is like gambling, bet with your head, not your heart

•••
One of my biggest problem with new gtlds is the registrants rights.
If you own a .com or a cctld you have more rights and protections.

•••
One of my biggest problem with new gtlds is the registrants rights.
If you own a .com or a cctld you have more rights and protections.

Off topic but what rights are you speaking of? If it's price increases they all have that right.. ;)

•••
Off topic but what rights are you speaking of? If it's price increases they all have that right.. ;)
Off topic, really? Anyways It's more than just price increases, oh and btw .com prices are regulated by the government;).

•••
Off topic, really? Anyways It's more than just price increases, oh and btw .com prices are regulated by the government;).
Thats not really an answer to mad409's question...

•••
Thats not really an answer to mad409's question...
I said .com pricing unlike new gtlds are protected by the u.s. government. I said their are other ways .com registrants have more rights and protections. I told him to research it as its all public info.

Last edited:
•••
Since when are facts irrelevant? How is what i said irrelevant? Really I'd like to know? And his question is what exactly?
I didnt say anything about relevancy.........
I just stated that you didnt answer his question. Nothing more, nothing less.
Especially for you, I will quote his question:

"What rights are you speaking of?"

•••
I didnt say anything about relevancy.........
I just stated that you didnt answer his question. Nothing more, nothing less.
Especially for you, I will quote his question:

"What rights are you speaking of?"
Ok let me try again.

1)New gtlds can be taken away for any reason at the registries discretion, Unlike .Com's where their are processes to follow.

2) New gtlds can raise prices to whatever they want with short notice, Unlike .com's pricing which is protected by the u.s. government.

Research and verify for yourselves.

•••
I think that domainers assume that they have rights but they have not. We have already had multiple reported cases where the registry would take back valuable domains, sometimes months later for some questionable reasons. Registries can also go bankrupt but .com will never diseappear because it is incredibly popular.

•••
I think that domainers assume that they have rights but they have not. We have already had multiple reported cases where the registry would take back valuable domains, sometimes months later for some questionable reasons. Registries can also go bankrupt but .com will never diseappear because it is incredibly popular.
Exactly, we don't own xxx.com, we simply own the right to use/sell/advertise/etc xxx.com

•••
Ok let me try again.

1)New gtlds can be taken away for any reason at the registries discretion, Unlike .Com's where their are processes to follow.

2) New gtlds can raise prices to whatever they want with short notice, Unlike .com's pricing which is protected by the u.s. government.

Research and verify for yourselves.

Actually I meant I thought I might be off topic. All TLD's have the right to increase their pricing per giving notice to ICANN, even .com.

(f)Adjustments to Pricing forDomain NameRegistrations. Registry Operator shall provide no less than six months prior notice in advance of any increase for new and renewal domain name registrations and for transferring a domain name registration from oneICANN-accredited registrar to another and shall continue to offer for periods of up to ten years new and renewal domain name registrations fixed at the price in effect at the time such offer is accepted. Registry Operator is not required to give notice of the imposition of the Variable Registry-Level Fee set forth in Section 7.2(b).

I think the issues with new TLD's being taken back has to do with mistakes within their API system, where lots of domains were released but in fact reserved by ICANN. I've had this happen to me.

Others may have been pulled due to spam, or misuse of the domain per the T&C of the registry, which is a good thing keeping their TLD respected. If it was done by mistake, contact the registry and fix the issue.

As for pricing many new gTLD's etc. are offering low entry rates but higher renewal after that. Many don't investigate what the price will be moving forward and this makes it appear as though your pricing has been jacked up for no reason. This has also happened to me and that's why now I always check past one year pricing when registering a domain. I also think some misleading promotions by a few registers has caused this confusion.

I own many new TLD's and my renewal pricing has remained the same, if they do go up I'll be questioning if a six month notice was provided to ICANN.

It's a fact .com is king but unless closed eyes are watching the new TLD's, sites are being launched daily and mother time will tell the story but not two years in. As for failing TLD's I'm a firm believer they will be purchased by another company rather than falling to the wayside but time will tell on that issue too.

By saying if you don't own .com, you don't have much is the opinion of the OP and a few others but it's been debated here time and time again and many don't agree with this opinion, including myself.

Could I be wrong with all of this? Sure I could but if myself and others are not then hopefully we can make some money down the line rather than wishing we would have got onboard when the ship sailed vs. trying to get on the ship when it's already out to sea.

One final thought. I think many, including myself are over pricing some of our new TLD's, trying to compare them with .com which isn't the case. Sure we all have a few that deserve a high dollar price tag, take it or leave it but a majority are just out of range. The over pricing has diminished current sales by domainers which is being reflected within the sales charts. I'm not saying give them away but reasonable prices at this juncture will help the movement going forward. JMO..

•••
Actually I meant I thought I might be off topic. All TLD's have the right to increase their pricing per giving notice to ICANN, even .com.

This is not true. .com pricing is regulated by The U.S. Department of Commerce. They can't just ask any amount they want to and they can't premium price domains. Also even before that the price increases were limited to 7%.

Verisign’s current pricing of $7.85 per domain name registration will continue for the six-year term of the Agreement. Second, Verisign no longer has the right to four price increases of up to seven percent over the six-year term.

http://domainincite.com/11156-breaking-verisign-loses-right-to-increase-com-prices

A nGTLD registry can price renewals how they want to(even $1 million/year if they wish) without having to justify their pricing and they can set premium renewal prices on any domain they wish.

They do not have to notify the registrant to do that.

http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/20/new-tlds-and-a-lack-of-price-caps/

You can guess which one of these two models protects the registrant and which one does not.

Last edited:
•••
This is not true. .com pricing is regulated by The U.S. Department of Commerce. They can't just ask any amount they want to and they can't premium price domains. Also even before that the price increases were limited to 7%.

http://domainincite.com/11156-breaking-verisign-loses-right-to-increase-com-prices

A nGTLD registry can price renewals how they want to(even $1 million/year if they wish) without having to justify their pricing and they can set premium renewal prices on any domain they wish.

They do not have to notify the registrant to do that.

http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/20/new-tlds-and-a-lack-of-price-caps/

You can guess which one of these two models protects the registrant and which one does not.

I understand what you're saying but the fact is registers can still jack the price even if Verisign can't. I'm gonna have to get away from network solutions as they are charging me $37.99 renewal on the few .coms I have there and even some .xyz domains. WTF

So in short Verisign can't stick it to you but the registers can with .com, if you're not paying attention.

Transaction Type Date Account No. Service Name Term Amount
Renewal 06/29/2016 (account # removed) vozv.com 1 Year $37.99

•••
I understand what you're saying but the fact is registers can still jack the price even if Verisign can't. I'm gonna have to get away from network solutions as they are charging me $37.99 renewal on the few .coms I have there and even some .xyz domains. WTF

So in short Verisign can't stick it to you but the registers can with .com, if you're not paying attention.

Transaction Type Date Account No. Service Name Term Amount
Renewal 06/29/2016 (account # removed) vozv.com 1 Year $37.99

you can easily transfer it to an other registrar, when the registry raises the price, you are stuck with an overpriced domain and can't do anything other then drop it!

Also I have never seen a .com priced @ thousands or tens of thousands a year at any registrar.

With the nGTLDs it is not uncommon.

It wouldn't surprise me if the .com registry requires registrars to have the retail price below a certain limit. Not sure on this though.

So let's be realistic we are talking about two different things here.

One extension is well regulated and I have yet to hear .coms being taken back by the registry or having their prices raised substantially. The others are not and we have already heard several stories of domains being taken back or renewal prices going from $xx to $xxxx /year.

Last edited:
•••
you can easily transfer it to an other registrar, when the registry raises the price, you are stuck with an overpriced domain and can't do anything other then drop it!

Also I have never seen a .com priced @ thousands or tens of thousands a year at any registrar.

With the nGTLDs it is not uncommon.

It wouldn't surprise me if the .com registry requires registrars to have the retail price below a certain limit. Not sure on this though.

So let's be realistic we are talking about two different things here.

One extension is well regulated and I have yet to hear .coms being taken back by the registry or having their prices raised substantially. The others are not and we have already heard several stories of domains being taken back or renewal prices going from $xx to $xxxx /year.

I hear ya but like I said above, if a new gtld goes up on price they must give notice therefore domainers are not paying attention when they register for a one year special and if it goes up substantially after that. It's happened to me, I was only looking at first year pricing, look beyond that!

I'd like to see one documented case where a new gtld jacked up the price on someone without giving ICANN notice. The new gtlds are in fact regulated, it's just that you don't agree with the fact they can go up in price by giving a 6 month notice. That doesn't bother me I'll just reg them for years before the increase. :)

They're not stupid, no new gtld that's going for 20 or 30 bucks will jump up to $10,000.00 per year. LOL

As for .com the link you provided was 2012, before new G's really got rolling. It's a 6 year agreement if I recall therefore changes in .com pricing could happen in 2018 depending on what effect all these new extensions play on their bottom line.

•••
I'd like to see one documented case where a new gtld jacked up the price on someone without giving ICANN notice. The new glds are in fact regulated, it's just that you don't agree with the fact they can go up in price by giving a 6 month notice.

The notice doesn't change anything. What does that change? They can raise the price as much as they want, nothing will prevent them from doing so. They are not unregulated they are poorly regulated.

That doesn't bother me I'll just reg them for years before the increase

And after the ten years what happens? You have to drop it?

It is not required that the public or the registrant will be informed. You will depend on the registry or registrar telling you.

They're not stupid, no new gtld that's going for 20 or 30 bucks will jump up to $10,000.00 per year. LOL

Good or short .xyz started with regfee renewals and are now $xxxx-xxxxx/year.

It has already happened in some extensions that some premium domains that were registered for regfee were taken back and set to $xxxx many months later.

It's a simple equation for registries:

(Profit by changing pricing - cost of reputation damage) if that turns out to be profitable they will do it.

Centralnic shut down some their unregulated subdomain extensions this year and registrants got screwed.

It's the domaining industry, they are not charities.

As for .com the link you provided was 2012, before new G's really got rolling. It's a 6 year agreement if I recall therefore changes in .com pricing could happen in 2018 depending on what effect all these new extensions play on their bottom line.

.com is regulated by the department of commerce we will never see dramatic price increases there.

Last edited:
•••
The notice doesn't change anything. What does that change? They can raise the price as much as they want, nothing will prevent them from doing so. They are not unregulated they are poorly regulated.

It has already happened that some premium domains that were registered for regfee were taken back and set to $xxxx many months later.

It's a simple equation for registries:

(Profit by changing pricing - cost of reputation damage) if that turns out to be profitable they will do it.

Centralnic shut down some their unregulated subdomain extensions this year and registrants got screwed.

It's the domaining industry, they are not charities.

.com is regulated by the department of commerce we will never see dramatic price increases there.

Show the beef my friend, all smoke and mirrors so far.. And our discussion isn't about sub domains...;)

•••
I think the post above reveals and clarifies much about the true value of this overall conversation : little if any business value, and actually detracting from the overall reputation of this site which has immensely increased as a whole over the last 3-4 years.

More of a rant thread. Although some follow up discussion within the thread has been valuable.
Yes it is and u r even in on it!
We r honored by your presence

Looks like the 2nd most popular thread this month too
Well maybe there is some value now?
Even if the op is just ranting and frustrated according to habs fan and others

Dot com period

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back