IT.COM

advice If I want to sell domains via my own eCommerce website, how can I prevent/reduce chargeback risk?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Max Z

Impact
I know the safest way to sell a domain is via Escrow, but its not very practical in a eCommerce website scenario. You cant really have a back and forth with the customer. They pay, you transfer the domain and its a done deal. But then 3 weeks later they do a chargeback and you're screwed. Any tips or tricks anyone can offer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For my domain shop i use 2CheckOut. Unlike Paypal, they are always at the merchant side, it's virtually impossible to get chargeback from them if the deal is legit. And the buyer still can pay with Paypal via them.

•••
For my domain shop i use 2CheckOut. Unlike Paypal, they are always at the merchant side, it's virtually impossible to get charge-back from them if the deal is legit. And the buyer still can pay with Paypal via them.
Interesting.
I have also heard people say that upon transfer of the name they take a snapshopt of the whois to confirm successful transfer. But couldn't the buyer instantly activate privacy on the whois ?

•••
For my domain shop i use 2CheckOut. Unlike Paypal, they are always at the merchant side, it's virtually impossible to get chargeback from them if the deal is legit. And the buyer still can pay with Paypal via them.

It is quite unlikely or impossible they can stop a chargeback because it makes no difference if that place is on your side. All that really matters is if the buyer used a credit card or a credit card via PayPal and orders a chargeback in all likelihood you will lose, regardless of what 2checkout says as i'm sure they have no control.

Even if you can prove buyer purchased it and the domain is now under their whois info you can still lose the case, That's especially if buyer lies by saying charge was unauthorized then it becomes a more or less automatic loss for you.

To make it worse, the credit card bank or paypal will NOT make the buyer return it. In fact, they won't even ask them to do that by saying it's against their policy.

P.S. Years ago I lost 1k on a purchase with the credit card charge back first started by buyer 13-mos after the product delivery date. That's NOT a misprint it was 13-months later. I battled it hard but the bank did not care and refunded the money. That buyer was not required to send back the more than 1 year old product!

Last edited:
•••
It is quite unlikely or impossible they can stop a chargeback because it makes no difference if that place is on your side. All that really matters is if the buyer used a credit card or PayPal and orders a chargeback in all likelihood you will lose, regardless of what 2checkout says as I am sure they have no real control.

Even if you can prove buyer purchased it and the domain is now under their whois info you can still lose the case, That's especially if buyer lies by saying charge was unauthorized then it becomes a more or less automatic loss for you.

To make it worse, the credit card bank or paypal will NOT make the buyer return it. In fact, they won't even ask them to do that by saying it's against their policy.

P.S. Years ago I lost 1k on a purchase with the credit card charge back first started by buyer 13-mos after the product delivery date. That's NOT a misprint it was 13-months later. I battled it hard but the bank did not care and refunded the money. That buyer was not required to send back the more than 1 year old product!

WOW im worried about 30days. So by that logic anyone can go around buying and stealing things legally?
That cant be right. No standards are set to protect the seller? Then why do people bother doing business via those institutions then?

•••
It is quite unlikely or impossible they can stop a chargeback because it makes no difference if that place is on your side. All that really matters is if the buyer used a credit card or a credit card via PayPal and orders a chargeback in all likelihood you will lose, regardless of what 2checkout says as i'm sure they have no control.

I don't know, man.

First of all, sorry about your story, of course.

But i tell you what, i sell SEO domains in that shop for like 5 years, and i advertise on BHW, and you can imagine how many scammers are there on that market. Yet i didn't face a single issue with 2CO.

Quite often they just don't approve a deal. Even for my long time clients. Of course to my old clients in such case i offer to pay with any different method, like paypal. But for new buyers - i tell them they need to find a way to pay that will satisfy 2CO, otherwise they can go straight screw themselves.

So, in reality i don't know for how 2CO are bulletproof, i just share my experience, which is so far 100%.

•••
It is quite unlikely or impossible they can stop a chargeback
Gave it a second thought, and what i think it's their business model, they charge me a ton of fees (more than paypal) and they scan the payer and the payment, and if they decide to clear the payment then they pay me and then in a case of chargeback or whatever they just fight with the scammer themselves as a financial institution, granted i give them all docs and proofs. For example, i send them confirmation from the registrar that the push of the said domain has been done to this and that account, and that account match the one from the logs from my shop, - i'm sure i'll be clear in this case, also considering my 100% good history thru years. And then if they ever lost a case, they would absorb it and not put on me, because they cleared the payment at the first place.

Again quite many payments they decline, and i'm totally ok with that, considering the level of security they provide me.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back