IT.COM

IDNs are the reality of the new domain industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
IDNs are the reality of the new domain industry

hi ..

IDNs are the domains of the near future..
maybe com net and now may be mobi are the leaders of this industry but in very near future IDNs is going to be the new leaders..
l dont say how ,i say only when?

why are the IDNs worth more..
internet does not only belong to America anymore.
we should improve its usage everywhere in the world.
if the internet is the leader,all domains and also IDNs will be the leaders too.

everybody has their internet connection,own language and own IDNs..
so IDNs are the reality for the future and for the countries..

why do other people have to use english while seraching on google insteaf of using their own language..?
and all we will have to love IDNs later soon..
because they will worth most..

regards
romeo :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What are you basing this on? IDNs are becoming more popular because COMs and NETs are getting more and more scarce and costing more and more. I highly doubt that IDNs will actually overtake COMs and NETs anytime in the near future.

•••
what about bill gates...

being an intrepreneu is diffucult..
why bill gates is bill gate..have you ever thought about that...

regards

•••
While I don't believe most IDNs will be worth more than their English (or ASCII) counterparts, I do believe their value will increase significantly over time. Perhaps Chinese IDNs will eclipse their English counterparts because of the potentially huge internet population, but not in the near future.

What are you basing this on? IDNs are becoming more popular because COMs and NETs are getting more and more scarce and costing more and more.
Most IDNs are .com or .net - such as 大阪.com

•••
zhalefarin said:
What are you basing this on? IDNs are becoming more popular because COMs and NETs are getting more and more scarce and costing more and more. I highly doubt that IDNs will actually overtake COMs and NETs anytime in the near future.

Guys wake up. IDNs ARE .COMs and .NETs. It's funny people still seem not to understand this....

thefabfive said:
While I don't believe most IDNs will be worth more than their English (or ASCII) counterparts, I do believe their value will increase significantly over time. Perhaps Chinese IDNs will eclipse their English counterparts because of the potentially huge internet population, but not in the near future.

Most IDNs are .com or .net - such as 大阪.com

I disagree with Fab here, I believe that good Japanese generics may quickly balloon past their english equivalents in the next 3 or 4 years. The crummy domains will always remain just that though - crummy.

•••
rhys said:
Guys wake up. IDNs ARE .COMs and .NETs. It's funny people still seem not to understand this....

That's the most hilarious part about people arguing about IDNs. "But I only like .coms!" [dot][dot][dot]

•••
romeo33 said:
internet does not only belong to America anymore.

Probably internet never belonged only to America. The World Wide Web was created in 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee (english), working in Geneva (Switzerland), in the Cern (European Organization for Nuclear Research).
Then it spread worldwide, especially in America.

•••
rhys said:
I disagree with Fab here, I believe that good Japanese generics may quickly balloon past their english equivalents in the next 3 or 4 years. The crummy domains will always remain just that though - crummy.
I'm mainly going by internet population for valuations, but I can see a point where good Japanese domains may push prices to their full potential more quickly.

I'd like to hear your reasoning though.

•••
dear fka200

why hilarious..:)

to love them?
to love all domains?

how do you know that people don't like and everytime argue about that..
some like and some don't..

you may like COMs only..we like too...
but the difference you and us , we like all COMs ,NETs,IDNs as well most..

we don't seperate domains..we love all..

and please let me ask you a question..
are you the IDN expert ? Anybody who has no info about IDNs can speak true or false everything about them..

and to all my friends..
*who made a study about IDNs..How do you know they are worthless..
*who are the IDN experts
*How can someone be an IDN expert
*What does someone do to be an IDN expert,or what are the studies about IDNs
*How and why do you call yourself an IDN expert and how do all know that IDNs are garbage..

i have thousand of questions like that..

maybe they are new,but in the future no sooner than 3 years they will be saphire...

regards

Last edited:
•••
Romeo, you obviously misunderstood what I said.

IDNs have been around since the year 2000, buddy.

•••
romeo33 said:
why hilarious..:)

to love them?
to love all domains?

how do you know that people don't like and everytime argue about that..
some like and some don't..

you may like COMs only..we like too...
but the difference you and us , we like all COMs ,NETs,IDNs as well most..

we don't seperate domains..we love all..

and please let me ask you a question..
are you the IDN expert ? Anybody who has no info about IDNs can speak true or false everything about them..

and to all my friends..
*who made a study about IDNs..How do you know they are worthless..
*who are the IDN experts
*How can someone be an IDN expert
*What does someone do to be an IDN expert,or what are the studies about IDNs
*How and why do you call yourself an IDN expert and how do all know that IDNs are garbage..

i have thousand of questions like that..

maybe they are new,but in the future no sooner than 3 years they will be saphire...

regards

Romeo,

You are picking unnecessary fights my friend, fka200 knows IDNs very well as do I. Go refer to IDNF if you want to know who we are. We are big supporters and have voted on IDN with our pocketbooks. We're among the converted so you don't need to convince us. However, just as there are garbage ascii domains there are garbage IDN domains. Not all IDN domains are created equal just as certainly not all ASCII domains are created equal. For example: "gold.com" and "e-gold-online-24365.com" one is worth a lot of money and the other is garbage.

•••
happy to hear that my dear friend :)

love all domains n the lovers of them..
http://www.DomainState/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=85828&perpage=15&pagenumber=3
warmest regards from deepest side of my heart..

Last edited:
•••
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that when the rest of the 4 billion people on Earth can type in URLs using their own language, that IDNs will become valuable. If I was an Algerian who had an Arabic keyboard and couldn't speak a word of English, what do you reckon I would want to type into the URL panel? Once you start to think a bit outside your cultural box, then you will start to realise where the next major shift in the domain market will take place. Of course, by the time you figure it out, all the good IDNs will be gone.

But will they be as valuable as ascii domains? A lot depends on whether foreign markets continue to grow. Should India and China keep going the way they are, with 1 billion people apiece, you never know. But I agree with favfive, it could be some time away yet.

•••
domain_trader said:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that when the rest of the 4 billion people on Earth can type in URLs using their own language, that IDNs will become valuable. If I was an Algerian who had an Arabic keyboard and couldn't speak a word of English, what do you reckon I would want to type into the URL panel? Once you start to think a bit outside your cultural box, then you will start to realise where the next major shift in the domain market will take place. Of course, by the time you figure it out, all the good IDNs will be gone.

But will they be as valuable as ascii domains? A lot depends on whether foreign markets continue to grow. Should India and China keep going the way they are, with 1 billion people apiece, you never know. But I agree with favfive, it could be some time away yet.

My thoughts in a nutshell exactly. I'm not going to lie... when I first found out about IDNs, I was sort of scared. Like wtf? And then after research... lights just went off like crazy. It was hard trying to see if I wanted to buy 'em or not, but I'm glad I have. Barely any decent ones left, so I guess it's time to open our mouths about them.

•••
rhys said:
Romeo, You are picking unnecessary fights my friend, fka200 knows IDNs very well as do I.
Romeo seems to be very pro IDN...and trying to express that in English. Romeo is spot on that people will want to use domain names in their native languages. ICANN is in process of rolling out idn.idn to join idn.com, idn.net etc. that have been around for 8 years. Like Rhys says, you can learn a lot by reading threads at IDNF. Also that is the place for the overall best buying opportunities from native speakers.

•••
If there are people out there that will find a value in something then the value will go up.
China may be 5 to 20 years out? there is alot of infrastructure to build
Japan has the infrastructure but needs population education and software updates to support. perhaps 3 to 5 years
India is prime. Try finding a good .IN domain idn in indoneasian language
There are lots of examples.
I prefer dot coms myself but Im not going to let the opportunities slip by this time like I did in the 80's

•••
lipps said:
If there are people out there that will find a value in something then the value will go up.
Japan has the infrastructure but needs population education and software updates to support. perhaps 3 to 5 years
I prefer dot coms myself but Im not going to let the opportunities slip by this time like I did in the 80's

Very well said. If people were reading what's going on behind the scenes and how these nations are desperately wanting IDNs to happen, they'd realize there's a future in these.

Problem is the research is damn tough work...

•••
Fka200 said:
Problem is the research is damn tough work...

Yes, the research is a killer. But it is very educational as well. A few more years and I may well be conversant in Russian, Vietnamese, Swedish and few other languages that I'm picking up domains in.

IDNing is not for dumbass domainers. If you get your translations wrong, you not only waste your money, but you look like a dick when it comes to selling them.

•••
lipps said:
In Japan, people are educated. That is why..

•••
Anna X said:
In Japan, people are educated. That is why..

I don't get your comment.

Lipps was saying 3 to 5 years for people to understand that IDNs exist and it becomes "main stream."

•••
lipps said:

a) Population education in Japan - ever been there? No, I thought not.
b) "India is prime. Try finding a good .IN domain idn in indoneasian language" - where exactly is indoneasian and what language do they speak, lol
3) "I prefer dot coms" - shucks, all my IDNs are .com as well.

the level of understanding on this forum is frankly scary.

•••
While most people do realize IDN's are becoming Stronger everyday ... The Business World has been and still is moving more and more toward English. English is one of the only Languages spread out among pretty much EVERY Country now (Go into most any Airport).

I can see the potential for IDN's to be the highest "registered" form of Domains (Populations in Asia could point to that by themselves) , But I can also see where this will increase the Gap between "Social Traffic" and "Business Traffic" online. Many of the largest companies already have an English based Domain and website - Even if they do have multilingual versions as the main site or even IDN's. Getting people not using English as their main language to come to "ASCII" Domains has never been a problem , But on the other hand - How many already speaking English would ever type in a IDN ?

I AM NOT Saying Business is not conducted in other languages by any means ! So do not go there ... I'm just saying It has been moving toward English for some time now.
I'm not basing this on the fact English is my Language ... But General facts.

Do and Will IDN's get Traffic ? No doubt ...
Will they ever get the same "Range" of Traffic as ASCII Domains ? I kind of Doubt it personally. Please Note I said "Range". Not the actual amount of Traffic.

•••
lol - "never been a problem" - how would you know how many chinese, japanese, thai people have struggled to remember and then type in even the simplest of ascii domains. all these people have been *forced* to use ascii domains, its not by choice !! How many people not having english as their main language do you think can remember ascii domains they see on billboards, advertised on tv / radio.

"Getting people not using English as their main language to come to "ASCII" Domains has never been a problem"

I'm going to use that as a quote, fantastic stuff ...

Mark said:
While most people do realize IDN's are becoming Stronger everyday ... The Business World has been and still is moving more and more toward English. English is one of the only Languages spread out among pretty much EVERY Country now (Go into most any Airport).

I can see the potential for IDN's to be the highest "registered" form of Domains (Populations in Asia could point to that by themselves) , But I can also see where this will increase the Gap between "Social Traffic" and "Business Traffic" online. Many of the largest companies already have an English based Domain and website - Even if they do have multilingual versions as the main site or even IDN's. Getting people not using English as their main language to come to "ASCII" Domains has never been a problem , But on the other hand - How many already speaking English would ever type in a IDN ?

I AM NOT Saying Business is not conducted in other languages by any means ! So do not go there ... I'm just saying It has been moving toward English for some time now.

Will they ever get the same "Range" of Traffic as ASCII Domains ? I kind of Doubt it personally. Please Note I said "Range". Not the actual amount of Traffic.

•••
ThaiIDNs said:
a) Population education in Japan - ever been there? No, I thought not.

I think he meant "direct navigation education" in Japan.

•••
Not feeling like picking a fight tonight. So I'll take a deep breath and respond that this is an armchair philosophical argument you are making (with good intentions I know) that a little bit of real world research would quickly change your position on. I think you might be a victim of wishful thinking if you believe the business world is moving towards English in any significant way.

You aren't completely wrong about type-in traffic though. Many more people in this world don't speak English than do as an aggregate. Therefore, it is entirely likely that IDNs will receive over the medium term more aggregate traffic than English domains. However, traffic to the domains of any particular language depend on the pool of available speakers. Mandarin chinese speakers are two times as numerous as English speakers. And Hindi and Spanish are right next to English. Japanese, my favorite, is 11th in the world which isn't bad but then they make up for it by being one of the top 3 economies in the world.

Mark said:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back