IT.COM

fun ICANN to Auction Single Letter .Com's in 2018

NameSilo
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
In yet another controversial decision, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) board have un-reserved the remaining 23 single letter .com domains, paving the way for what is sure to be the most anticipated auction in the history of the Internet.

The 23 domains in question include every letter of the alphabet excluding Q.com, X.com and Z.com (previously owned and sold by Nissan for $6.7 million), which already exist today as they were owned and grandfathered before single letter .com's were reserved back in 1992.

This decision comes after the highly contested .web TLD auction which generated $135 million for what is supposed to be "non-profit" ICANN. Sources say the single-letter .com auction could easily generate upwards of half a billion dollars for the California based organisation.

An official statement is to be released Monday morning, and it is as of yet unclear whether the 24 reserved .net (all but I.net and Q.net) and 25 reserved .org (all but X.org) domains are also to have their freeze lifted.

While the auction itself is expected to take place in Spring of 2018, the length and process is not known.

Update on Apr 2, 2017: April Fool!

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It was wrong from the start to hold back these names, but the damage is done and it is to their advantage. What is not clear is WHO will benefit from the sale. Will it be ICANN who held back the domains and oversee the whole assignment of TLDs (they usually do not interfere in the assignment of individual domain) or Network Solutions who runs the registry and according to the rules, they need to only pay a symbolic fee for each domain and they are free to charge whatever they want.

•••
April Fools Day
april-fools-day16.gif

•••
•••
•••
The ONLY time I was had today! Been counting my change so I could bid!!!! :ROFL:

•••
It's the 2nd of April in Australia and I am still falling for these !

•••
•••
wow You really got me bro.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back