Dynadot

question I Purchased Some .NYCs; Bad Idea?

NameSilo
Watch

Joe K

Impact
First off, I'm totally new to domaining. Read about the new .NYC domain extension on a subway billboard. Sounded like a good idea, so I bought 11 domains:

aww.nyc
slay.nyc
exposed.nyc
freaky.nyc
gonewild.nyc
kng.nyc
lanes.nyc
meats.nyc
metals.nyc
rofl.nyc
sasabune.nyc

How'd I do? Will I be able to make back the $275?

Thanks!
Joe

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Probably not in the next few years, while you may get lucky I wouldn't wanna bet on it ... those $275 would be better spent on buying 1 quad premium LLLL here on forums you would have better chance of reselling or holding for a few years as renewals wouldn't cost you as much.

•••
Did you wonder why they were available?

•••
Would put that money elsewhere if I were you. Guess you won't make a profit on those but it's no given rule that you wont, weird sales happens everyday. The advice from @FusionSpy is something I would rather take into account and maybe grace delete those if it's still possible.

•••
That's a stupid question. It is proven that even a new reg domain can be sold at a good price like 1k more than the initial investment.

Back to OP, no you will not get your money back based on the current market. Who knows, you may sell only one of them and cover the initial investment.
Good luck

•••
That's a stupid question. It is proven that even a new reg domain can be sold at a good price like 1k more than the initial investment.

Back to OP, no you will not get your money back based on the current market. Who knows, you may sell only one of them and cover the initial investment.
Good luck

Too subtle for you was it?

•••
If you start seeing more .NYC domains around town (as it's restricted), that's when I can say you will make your $275 back.

You could potentially make it back now with 1 sale, but I wouldn't at this point. They'd be a hold.

However, since the gTLD is restricted, I can't purchase the domain unless I use a trustee. I only trustee myself. So, you have a target market with a population of 8.4 million (if restricted to NYC alone, don't know if it's the entire state or city as never looked into it).

Of that, you have 6 domains I see no problem at selling for more than $1k each if and this is a big if, .NYC catches on in that region.

For that purpose, I have .Okinawa names registered as there are projected growths with a new runway to make international flights, we're getting Universal Studios Japan and many other things that will draw more out. As of now though, they are holds and I am able to sell .com's to local businesses using .info's for $2000+ that I hand registered (not their company name, but a generic term based on what they do).

FYI, my personal choices to keep would be: aww, exposed, freaky, lanes, meats and metals.

Considering you can only compete with NY(C) for these names, I personally think you did good as they would have been taken already (which kinda goes against what @wot said since, they're restricted).

Good luck and hope you have enough capital to renew them for a year to a decade. I assume that the renewal prices will drop though.

•••
Some honest advice.

There are some 60,000 NYC registered.

Hundreds better than many of the ones you have registered are for sale on Sedo.( Many worse also)
Just go there and type in extension only .nyc. NONE of them have, or have had bids so far.

You can only sell them to NewYork residents. The names are average at best.

I see you only recently registered them. Grace delete and read up more about domain names before you buy more.

Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
You can only sell them to NewYork residents. The names are average at best.
Thanks for clarifying that. Didn't take time to see if it was for the entire state or just city residents.

If .NYC catches on though, average still will sell for $1000+.

I've sold sub-par .com's for more.

I believe that a select few strings that make sense like california.plumbing and lanes.nyc (a bowling alley) will survive. Speaking of geo's specifically, they have a higher chance, if the community embraces them and starts putting them to use.

Nobody can be for certain how it'll go and I'm not willing to bet that they won't go good. However, I am strategically buying gTLD's and not just random words like machines.okinawa. I am buying up Roman alphabet words that are top generics in English and Japanese (for dotOkinawa at least).

The only one that I've publicly disclosed is see.okinawa which I plan on developing as a long term resident website as there are many English speaking expats and military here for 1+ year... but nobody wanted to participate in a logo contest. So, it's on the back burner for development, but I am taking pictures of each place I visit. It's more of a hobbyist site at that point as there's no way of charging businesses for advertising I already gave them, just hope on donations (which is a potential in this market) and contextual/behavioral ads or going back to the businesses and selling focused "ads" or articles have you on the destinations already posted.

If I were the OP, I wouldn't be focusing on selling them. I would be focused on developing them so that .NYC does catch on and you can have an influence on the market for the names in the future. Otherwise if all of them remain parked and subsequently drop because nobody did develop them, they will become worthless.

Easy development ideas if you know the area and know some WordPress to get developing:
  • aww: tourist sites that are "wow", wedding shops (that sell rings, etc. for a "cute" campaign)
  • exposed: the best or worst of NYC
  • freaky: the places 18 year old guys want to go when they attend college away from home for the first time
  • lanes: bowling alleys (if there are any)
  • meats: butcher shops, bulk suppliers, etc.
  • metals: places to sell precious metals, places to buy, places to recycle, etc.
Developing them could get you ranking higher and exposing that gTLD in geographic searches, which will leave .NYC exposed and open to $1k sales. Though, I will revert back to my first statement: it's an if and a big if.

I am only going to diversify 5-10% of my portfolio with gTLD's and not pay more than registration fees for them. They must also make sense. Though, there is capital for me to hold and risk losses. Losses aren't bad in some cases, as they're tax write-offs which can place you in another bracket, subsequently earning more in that year, by paying less in tax.

G'luck

•••
Fortunately you only bought 11 domains.
But the keywords are not really huge.
Who needs meats.nyc ?

I don't see why .nyc would take off when .us is struggling.

•••
Last post defending .NYC and a rebuttal as this could go on foreverrrr...
Fortunately you only bought 11 domains.
True, I tend to keep around 10 or less per gTLD. If I make a sale, good for me, but I can wait it out. It's up to the OP if they can or not to see.
But the keywords are not really huge.
No, they're not the best, but they're still generics that can sell if the city embraces them.
Who needs meats.nyc ?
Quick Google search: qualitymeatsnyc - meats.nyc... can you pitch it face to face? That makes it a lot easier.
I don't see why .nyc would take off when .us is struggling.
True, but more are learning about gTLD's as the days go on. They're being shoved in peoples faces when the dot com is taken. US was never really marketed to anyone, except domain investors pretty much with lower pricing. It is America's ccTLD, but it won't catch on as .com has pretty much filled that spot, unlike .co.uk for United Kingdom residents.

It'll take more than just having a .NYC registry in the city to thrive.

In my opinion, those are names I would keep, if I could (without a trustee)... however, I probably would have registered much earlier in .NYC and grabbed better ones and immediately started development.

From what I gather, NYC is a pretty "tight" group of citizens. It has the potential to go viral in that area.

We entered another generation and a whole new domain to speculate on.

I am a better. If I got these at reg fee this year and next year they went down to free to $5 to NYC residents (possibly do it per income or an incentive to get people aboard, that's up to Neustar to decide... but they have been a failure in many gTLD's that could have paved the way for gTLD's today).

Though, I just looked it up and found eligibility requirements. No trustees (I'm sure it may be done with private parties, but they could still take it from you at their discretion) and it states:
New York City businesses and organizations with an NYC address and individuals with a primary residence in NYC can register a .nyc domain name.
Source: http://www.ownit.nyc/faq

So if it's the city only, I'll end that I think it has a success to take off. Couple QR code ads everywhere with the foot traffic in areas and you never know.

In addition to all this, if Google did geographically start favoring geo's like Berlin, NYC, Okinawa, etc., they have a much higher chance to succeed than .us.

•••
Hi there is another thread on here asking similar questions about nyc and getting some good answers. https://www.namepros.com/threads/i-bought-over-60-nyc-domains-opinion.836213/

8 million population? Similar to Sweden, Austria, Switzerland - their domain extensions sell, but because they are seen as the go-to address for the country.

For NYC to be the go-to address for NYC all those existing businesses would have to move off their coms. Not likely. So it is for new players or ones wanting shorter domain names. Unless maybe in a few years people find it has a local SEO advantage. Not a big pool. Long time frame to see what happens, expensive renewals.

That really is the question. Presumably if you bought to re-sell you assumed that:
a) someone will want them later, and
b) they will want them enough to pay more than the registration fee.
And you assumed it was either luck or skill that got you there first, not the domains being unwanted.

I would just grace delete all those domains, read up, start over.

Want wanted domains? Buy weed ones if you can. I would if I lived there.

•••
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I endeavor to sell at least one of the domains within the next year and hold onto the rest as the .nyc extension becomes more popular.

Throughout the year, I hope to have a chance to develop some of the sites to play a role in building the reputation of .nyc in the city.

I also just picked up doja.nyc. Fingers crossed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back