IT.COM

question I officially don't understand domains anymore...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

A1EX

Private StatusEstablished Member
Impact
Okay, I get it... 3 char .com's are worth a ton, but why? Today I watched h33(.)com sell for $19,500 on GD Auctions... Is a 3 char rare? Yes, Therefore its worth more? Sure! But a yugo is rare these days and is still worth next to nothing... I don't see a business buying h33 as there name... so why in the world would this domain sell for so much? Someone help me! I'm lost... :cautious:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Okay, I get it... 3 char .com's are worth a ton, but why? Today I watched h33(.)com sell for $19,500 on GD Auctions... Is a 3 char rare? Yes, Therefore its worth more? Sure! But a yugo is rare these days and is still worth next to nothing... I don't see a business buying h33 as there name... so why in the world would this domain sell for so much? Someone help me! I'm lost... :cautious:
Quite frankly, I'm skeptical of some of the reports, since true, independent verification is not available. And, if I see that quite a bit of money was allegedly spent, but then the domain remains undeveloped over a year later, there is even more reason to doubt the sale and/or the wisdom of it. E

Keep in mind, though, there certainly are big businesses to pay quite a bit. For them, this may be "chump change." But there is discussion about businesses using more descriptive domains. The very short domains, especially abbreviations, may have been much more appealing in the past. After all, let's so you are doing advertising, even on cars and buses. Referring someone to a 3or 4 letter .com saves on advertising space and cost. For print-related advertising, shorter was perhaps more useful. Nowadays, one would wonder whether that is really that important.

•••
I asked Google and there is a hotel named H33 in Nice (which is a popular tourist destination). Also a music label from Germany (no idea if they are small or big). Might be neither but it shows people do brand their projects this way.

•••
So, if you were that hotel in Nice, would you be more inclined to choose a more descriptive name, like H33Hotel.availableorlessexpensivetld Likewise for the Music Label, H33Records.availableorlessexpensivetld?
The point here is that more descriptive names may now be appealing. After all, this may work better for those who prefer not to bookmark, but instead simply put the descriptive words in the Google to fiind the business.

•••
I would much rather take the money and invest in domains that have large pools of potential end users, than buy some domain just because it is short.

I think the capital is much better spent that way.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There are many other names that are neither short nor have dictionary words and still selling for huge amount, while we look at our domains and think why this doesn't have any demand .:xf.grin:
I got the same doubt looking at the Sedo weekly domain sales report as well.
I just remembered the famous quote, every dog has its day.

Likewise, every domain may have a day. But that day could be months from now or years from now and we have to wait until that day when someone who needs that name is ready to pay a huge price. Until then we have to stay patiently.

Assuming we pay $10 on an average for a meaningful domain for 10 years. The total cost goes to $100.
And oneday someone wants it, you can sell it for a price multiple times the total cost you spent on that. Just that we need to have the fund to maintain all those domains until then.

•••
Try trading stocks lately? Some stocks that should go up logically are falling, some stocks that have nothing going for them, go up, meme stocks went to the moon at some point and a meme coin has a bigger market cap than companies that earn millions in net profit a qtr.

Domains are the same thing. Also, if you look up some of the big sales of 2022. verified sales, most are not developed.

•••
•••
•••
H33 maybe a company from China , maybe on gambling online
They use strange names all time where for westerns mean nothing

Example:
I notice on Premier League
https:// 9393f3.com/ mobile/sportEvents#/ & app is https ://939322 .app

Realy ? 9393f3

🤷

Last edited:
•••
H33 maybe a company from China , maybe on gambling online
They use strange names all time where for westerns mean nothing
Good point, that culturally there may be a difference in usage from one country to another. So perhaps, in China, such a domain carries more value than in others.

•••
My main issue is that this $19,500 was spent at an auction, which is typically an investor buying the domain, not an end-user. So how would said investor make money buying it for that much? I would see it next to impossible to sell this domain to the end-end user for 40-50-60k and turn a real profit... If your spending this much then you need to make a ton to continue growing...

So, if you were that hotel in Nice, would you be more inclined to choose a more descriptive name, like H33Hotel.availableorlessexpensivetld Likewise for the Music Label, H33Records.availableorlessexpensivetld?
Agree 100%, not only would something like h33records.extension be way cheaper, it immediately lets you know its a record company so there is branding in the domain itself.
I would much rather take the money and invest in domains that have large pools of potential end users, than buy some domain just because it is short.
Agree!! While short is good... if it doesn't make sense, then whats the point?
Domains are the same thing. Also, if you look up some of the big sales of 2022. verified sales, most are not developed.
This always gets me... people spending tens of thousands on a domain that goes to a lander page. The best is when you see a 10k sale and a year later you see a drop catch service picking it up.

•••
My main issue is that this $19,500 was spent at an auction, which is typically an investor buying the domain, not an end-user. So how would said investor make money buying it for that much? I would see it next to impossible to sell this domain to the end-end user for 40-50-60k and turn a real profit... If your spending this much then you need to make a ton to continue growing...

Agree 100%, not only would something like h33records.extension be way cheaper, it immediately lets you know its a record company so there is branding in the domain itself.

Agree!! While short is good... if it doesn't make sense, then whats the point?

This always gets me... people spending tens of thousands on a domain that goes to a lander page. The best is when you see a 10k sale and a year later you see a drop catch service picking it up.

By Jove, I think he's got it!!!

Thank you for raising attention to the issue of some pricey short domain sales. Nowadays some simply don't seem to make sense. Of course, if buying such short domains "floats your boat," go for it! There will likely eventually be some use for the abbreviated name--somewhere.

•••
A commercial real estate told me a while ago that a lot of people that rent storefronts with the hopes of opening a business, never open it and end up losing money just from the rent. Ideas are a lot easier than making them happen. Ever try hiring someone to build a website that has a simple script?

•••
And one of the latest sedo top sold domain was just redirected to another site :unsure:

Only thing I understood looking at that was, If you have a good domain name never sell it for a less price. Hold it until you get the value for it from the right buyer. When meaningless names get a value for one or the other reason, a good name will also get a good price once it gets its demand.

Last edited:
•••
And one of the latest sedo top sold domain was just redirected to another site :unsure:
At least it's not like a recent multimillion dollar domain sale, that is being used for regular ad-parking at this point. Hopefully that one's getting a very high epc!

Last edited:
•••
At least it's not like a recent multimillion dollar domain sale, that is being used for regular ad-parking at this point. Hopefully that one's getting a very high epc!
Multi million invested on Ad parking.:xf.eek: :ROFL: When parking revenue is going down for everyone.
I guess when people have lot of money to invest they start finding value in everything that they see. :xf.cool:

•••
If your spending this much then you need to make a ton to continue growing...
Hi

if, they are spending that much,
then the assumption that they "have it" to spend, would be a logical conclusion.

if, they have that much to spend, then they may have spent more money on other domains.

if, they have that much to spend, then they probably will use those other purchases as expenses against the income they already made before they spend that amount in the auction.

also, LNN are in demand and prices already range from $$$$ > $$,$$$, so it's just raising the bar for the category.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
if, they are spending that much,
then the assumption that they "have it" to spend, would be a logical conclusion.

if, they have that much to spend, then they may have spent more money on other domains.

if, they have that much to spend, then they probably will use those other purchases as expenses against the income they already made before they spend that amount in the auction.
While I agree that they may have enough income to throw away on a domain like that, that's just now how you are going to succeed as a business. If your spending money just to spend money eventually it will catch up with you and cause huge financial losses. I have worked in the property management business for years and the richest people I have ever met are usually the cheapest people I have ever met. That's how they stay rich. If you are a smart investor you are going to invest in things that you know will make you money, spending well over average prices is not going to get you there.

•••
H33 is registered in 33 extentions, 8 of them are developed including chinese, french portoguese and german language websites, one of them is a hotel the other one is a clothing brand, there is also 3072 registered domain names in the related domains in dot com only so i would be hesitant to consider it not valuable.

•••
H33 is registered in 33 extentions, 8 of them are developed including chinese, french portoguese and german language websites, one of them is a hotel the other one is a clothing brand, there is also 3072 registered domain names in the related domains in dot com only so i would be hesitant to consider it not valuable.
Just because something is called something does not mean the domain is worth $20,000... Lets talk about the H33 hotel for a second... They are a 2 start hotel with a 3.3 out of 5 star review on google. I dont think they are spending 20k on a domain anytime soon. And the clothing company? Are you talking about H33sportswear with 273 likes on facebook? Also don't think they have 20k for the name... and this goes back to why not save the money and just buy H33sportswear.com? H33hotel.com? HotelH33.com? I am not saying short LNN.com's are not valuable at all, but just like 4L .coms with numbers in them, the value and potential is just not there.

Last edited:
•••
I have never totally the attraction in these, but I think that is simply because I don't understand the entire global market. There are, according to OpenCorporates, 18 businesses that do use H33 in their domain name.

If one regards memorability as important, a name that short, with a repeating digit, is easily remembered, no matter your language. Also, I can see it might feel distinguished to have a sort alphanumeric name with no obvious meaning.

Best wishes to those who do invest in these.

-Bob

•••
You dont understand domains because it stopped to make sense. Many of these sales are unbelievable.

•••
Maybe because number 33 is special :xf.smile:
33rd degree of freemasonry

•••
Maybe because number 33 is special :xf.smile:
33rd degree of freemasonry
Ah, a Freemasonry conspiracy theory to lighten up the day in domaining!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back