IT.COM

question I officially don't understand domains anymore...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

A1EX

Private StatusEstablished Member
Impact
Okay, I get it... 3 char .com's are worth a ton, but why? Today I watched h33(.)com sell for $19,500 on GD Auctions... Is a 3 char rare? Yes, Therefore its worth more? Sure! But a yugo is rare these days and is still worth next to nothing... I don't see a business buying h33 as there name... so why in the world would this domain sell for so much? Someone help me! I'm lost... :cautious:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is short of Highest 33 simple as that.
When I searched on gogle it show a H33 drug and other related things.

Last edited:
•••
When big sales aren't making any sense, suspect money laundering.

•••
Maybe because number 33 is special :xf.smile:
33rd degree of freemasonry
Yeah but freemasons don't just throw money away for no reason, and they don't like have a public list of 33rd degree masons, nor do they need a website to "hang out" on.

•••
•••
Yeah but freemasons don't just throw money away for no reason, and they don't like have a public list of 33rd degree masons, nor do they need a website to "hang out" on.

joke-missed.gif

•••
Madness, they call it madness.

:headphone:

•••
•••
Although 7 is the most popular digit in a poll of 30,000 people, 3 was the second choice.
https://bedtimemath.org/fun-math-favorite-number/
That's a good point. Simply a fondness for a particular number could help drive sales. There could be a even be a numerology aspect here.
Well, in any case, if the domain sold, and the new owner is happy with it, maybe that's all the matters.

•••
This is a nostalgic domain. Some of the first 3 character domains. LNN.com have a base value of $1000. Add $3000 for the "H" at the beginning and another $12000 for the double 3. And there you almost have your auction price. It doesn't need to be used by a company. It has "antique" .com value.

Not to say I agree with paying this type of money for that domain. Better off buying 20 decent domains then this one short one.

Last edited:
•••
L+ repeating NN is pretty rare. Only 26×10=260 of those.

Even without repetition there are just 2600 LNN domains.

I own NLL (4EA.COM) and LLN (UK9.COM), with 6760 names in each category, but I still don't own NNL or LNN.

The rarest short ones I have are 4-J.com and 4-p.com with just 260 of those as well.

And I have q-i.com with 676 in existence.

•••
I have never totally the attraction in these, but I think that is simply because I don't understand the entire global market. There are, according to OpenCorporates, 18 businesses that do use H33 in their domain name.

If one regards memorability as important, a name that short, with a repeating digit, is easily remembered, no matter your language. Also, I can see it might feel distinguished to have a sort alphanumeric name with no obvious meaning.

Best wishes to those who do invest in these.

-Bob
There are actually many such businesses, possibly one of those companies bought it. I think that is actually the most likely answer in this particular case.

•••
It's happening again right now, this time a 4 char! kk66.com is at $20,500 with 4 hours left :oops:

Last edited:
•••
Okay, I get it... 3 char .com's are worth a ton, but why? Today I watched h33(.)com sell for $19,500 on GD Auctions... Is a 3 char rare? Yes, Therefore its worth more? Sure! But a yugo is rare these days and is still worth next to nothing... I don't see a business buying h33 as there name... so why in the world would this domain sell for so much? Someone help me! I'm lost... :cautious:
Because good domains are limited, this is like there are only 22 million bitcoins in this world which is limited by numbers and this is the main reason today why bitcoin is so costly. Good domains are also limited in numbers.

•••
Because good domains are limited, this is like there are only 22 million bitcoins in this world which is limited by numbers and this is the main reason today why bitcoin is so costly. Good domains are also limited in numbers.
This is correct. "Rarity" is the big word in antique circles, in the physical world. It is also in the domain world, in a more limited sense. There are certain domains that were registered from the beginning on the www. 3 character .com are part of that. So don't expect a phonograph from 100 years ago to work. People just want to buy the phonograph for historical significance.

•••
I own 883435.com for ages ,never had an offer ..I know it's 6N but easy to remember.

•••
I have 1pr.net and never had any offers or interest. I only bought it for my initials.
You would think it might suit a Public Relations company. I can see this one gathering dust for years to come.

Last edited:
•••
I have 1pr.net and never had any offers or interest. I only bought it for my initials.
You would think it might suit a Public Relations company. I can see this one gathering dust for years to come.
I can only conclude that the .net has a negative impact on the sale.

•••
But what about my 10BN.com (Ten Billion) That's also gathering dust!

•••
But what about my 10BN.com (Ten Billion) That's also gathering dust!
Yes, it would. Because 11BN is more. 10BN is actually pretty arbitrary.

•••
IPPAN is a powerful Layer 1 blockchain that makes possible a range of new advanced token services dedicated to massive workload implementations.

•••
Okay, I get it... 3 char .com's are worth a ton, but why? Today I watched h33(.)com sell for $19,500 on GD Auctions... Is a 3 char rare? Yes, Therefore its worth more? Sure! But a yugo is rare these days and is still worth next to nothing... I don't see a business buying h33 as their name... so why in the world would this domain sell for so much? Someone help me! I'm lost... :cautious:
Studies have shown that the shorter the domain the better.

•••
I still don't get it. I have some nice relevant sounding domains and yet I had a 5 letter domain that did not fit any keyword in this universe. It was a nothing domain, crap, no idea why I still had it. I used a domain generator to find 5-letter random domains that cost me $6 to register this name and yet someone bought it for nearly $6k a few months after reg. The customer did not even question me or challenge me to sell it at a fair price. It was bought blind. So I still don't get it, interesting to read all about it that nobody gets it. It's just one of those things.

•••
I own 883435.com for ages ,never had an offer ..I know it's 6N but easy to remember.
It is easy to remember but.... What is the meaning of this domain? It should be related to something.
Depends of buyers how they see this domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back