Domain Empire

I need some advice!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
Im fjnjn2000. I, new around here, and I am in a difficult dilemma (although perhaps quite common)! You see, I have the domain CoutureFashion.com and .co.uk I am trying to get rid of them to move on into other things. I have reduced the price well below the appraisals, ($8000 for the .com, no kidding, I can get you the receipt for proof). I am currently selling it for $700 at present but I still have not one offer! I have sent out ads to about 70 major and minor haute couture companies, plus about 30 other parties that might be interested and I have not received more than a dozen replies, and only one or two of those implying any interest. I just want to get this domain of my back now as soon as possible. If you know a bit about this stuff , please do give me some advice!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This isnt an ad by the way, im just trying to get some advice.

•••
•••
Maybe people just don't like the name?

And are you saying you paid $8,000 to get that name? Obviously, it couldn't have been such a wise choice...

•••
Originally posted by Lord
Maybe people just don't like the name?

And are you saying you paid $8,000 to get that name? Obviously, it couldn't have been such a wise choice...

He said the appraisals were that much. But those places usually bullshit you. Good luck

•••
If you've found a company that honestly believes the domain to be worth $8000, then your best chance might be to sell it to them. Any reputable appraiser should be willing to pay 10% of the value they appraise a name for.

I hope this doesn't discourage you, because the name is good, but the price the appraiser gave you was overly optimistic and any money you spent on it was wasted.

But, on the brighter side --

'Couture Fashion' is a classy sounding name. I don't hear the word 'couture' a lot, but it is used by the many upscale fashion designers. Have any of the companies you contacted expressed an interest? If so, why not try lowering your price to $250. It's still a decent sale.

•••
Quote: "I have reduced the price well below the appraisals, ($8000 for the .com, no kidding, I can get you the receipt for proof)."

Something seems out of whack here. Can you PM me the details of this "receipt for proof". I sincerely want to help you out here, but I need more details. Are you accepting offers on the domain? Is it listed in a Sales thread here. Have you had no luck selling it in the past. Do you wish to list in for Appraisals here, or elsewhere? Hope to help. :)
Thanks.

•••
I agree with RJ on this one, Alot of these appraisal company's are a crock. If you have some interested people in the name see what they offer you., Also put the name up for appraisal here.

•••
definately put the name up for appraisal here..couture is the keyword not used anymore..however there is a site designercouture.com probably check that out..good luck

•••
Thanks a lot guys. Im not one of those people who doesnt really believs in appraisal, because I honestly believe that a domain is only worth what someone will pay for it. I just thought it would be helpful to get an idea of what an appraiser/second opinion might think it is worth, in order to get a decent price range. I AM NOT a squatter; I acquired this domain with the intention of doing developing it (I honestly believe that there is more money to be made in traffic thatn in selling the domain anyway). I have just run into some difficulty, so i have to get rid of it.

•••
Domains shouldn't be bought for $700 dollars..or more. Domains aren't really worth that much if you ask me.

•••
Originally posted by xxBlueSugar
Domains shouldn't be bought for $700 dollars..or more. Domains aren't really worth that much if you ask me.

Are you crazy?? I can take a guess.. you are from Nova or WOAS.. that's where you can buy teen names ofr $5.. lol

•••
Originally posted by xxBlueSugar

Actually that is not true. If one has plans for development, it is worth what buyer thinks its value is. That is the key. If domains weren't worth more than $700 then people who sell domains for high price to corporates etc wouldn't be making money.

thanks

•••
Why are they so expensive? o.O

•••
Originally posted by xxlauren
Why are they so expensive? o.O

...because a good domain helps increase the ROI of any marketing activity. Nothing is worse than throwing good marketing dollars at a bad domain name.

Once NSI ran a television commercial with the domain "GetYourWebsiteNow.com" It was stupid! The commercial said "Get a Website from Verisign," and the URL didn't match. Not only didn't people remember the URL, they tried to find Verisign and spelled it wrong or mistook us for a phone company. Even if they spelled it RIGHT, Verisign.com made NO MENTION of websites! Result: a Million Dollar marketing campaign with a customer acquisition cost of over $1,000 per customer....selling a $99 product. Complete waste of marketing dollars.

Now, months before we ran the add, we were approached by a small company in Boston about buying or leasing "Website.com." The domain got thousands of unique visitors per day on it's own, and those people were converting at double digit rates (10-15%).

Imaging how much better that campaign would have done if the massage had been "Buy a website from Website.com," and the url had been "Website.com." Not only would the monthly type-in traffic have been MORE than the first campaign, but I bet the response rate would have been 10x...and the conversion rate would have been 2-5x on top of that. My guess is we could have gotten our CPA down to $50 per customer or less, which would have been a PROFITABLE marketing campaign. ($99 - $50 = PROFIT!!!) Since the campaign we DID run was not profitable, we never ran another one, and the lady in charge of it eventually got let go.

A good domain will pay for itself. It's just a numbers game. Traffic x Conversion x RPS (revenue per sale) = $$$. The trick just becomes finding cost effective ways to drive traffic, maximize conversion, and deliver a product with higher and higher margins. It just becomes a money machine.

Last edited:
•••
Personally I would never pay that much for a domain. I see it this way, a domain wasn't popular at one point, so just get a new one, and then get it popular :)

•••
Nice post thebansche!

20 $NP on the way!
Thanks

•••
Originally posted by NameCaster
Nice post thebansche!

20 $NP on the way!
Thanks

Agree!
20 NP$ more on the way! :)
Thanks, Bansche.

•••
Thanks guys! Glad I could contribute something.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back