IT.COM

"i", "-i" and Other Single Letter Prefixes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
In some of the "What's Hot, What's Not" discussions from about a year ago, I recall the general concensus was that "i", and "e" were becoming passe.

- Do you think that the popularity of i-pod has given names prefixed by "i", (or "-i") a boost, or has "i-pod" had the effect of dilluting other "i" names through overuse?

- What do you think the next hot letter prefix will be, if any? Looking into my crystal ball, I see "M", (designating Mobile, Mobi) as a potential prospect. :tri:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"m" could go to anything, like "my" "mine" "more" "many" "mass" stuff like that

I think "e" too. sites like ebay, ebid and stuff are bringing the "e" into fashion!

•••
I've seen a few "I" and "E" sales that still puzzle me - Have also noticed people going for "X" and "Z" domains as well ....

Personally I'm still weary of most of them unless it just Fits perfectly ~

•••
Personally I'm still weary of most of them unless it just Fits perfectly ~
I regged M-Mobi.com, a speculative name that I am very high on. However, will have to wait and see how the .mobi gtld does. :talk:

•••
•••
I vote for Q. Look at Qwest communications. Q catches my eye especially when not followed by a U.
ex. Q-host -- branded as QUALITY hosting (or Q-xxxx = Quality anything.)

Yes, I know I lost one of my oars long ago but think about it a bit. We all struggle for that little thing that will make a name stand out.

•••
A globabl domain, something specific to one country.

•••
I don't quite put "ipod" and the "i" domain prefix (meaning "internet") in the same category.. "e" for "electronic", etc. I think overall people who have been the most exposed to these types of internet shorthand have become somewhat innured to their effect, if any... I myself find them somehwat annoying at times due to their overuse.

On the other hand, I do see potential if anything (w3 ;) ) fresh comes along...

"M" for mobile seems a logical next step to me as well...

•••
what is a gTld?
generic Top Level Domain
I use the full gtld when referring to the "minor" gTLDs and TLD for the major gTLDs, (.com, .net, .org, .info, .biz), but this is an artificial distinction.

Generic Top-Level Domains

* The .aero domain is reserved for members of the air-transport industry and is sponsored by Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (SITA).
* The .biz domain is restricted to businesses and is operated by NeuLevel, Inc.
* The .com domain is operated by VeriSign Global Registry Services.
* The .coop domain is reserved for cooperative associations and is sponsored by Dot Cooperation LLC.
* The .info domain is operated by Afilias Limited.
* The .museum domain is reserved for museums and is sponsored by the Museum Domain Management Association.
* The .name domain is reserved for individuals and is operated by Global Name Registry.
* The .net domain is operated by VeriSign Global Registry Services.
* The .org domain is operated by Public Interest Registry. It is intended to serve the noncommercial community, but all are eligible to register within .org.
* The .pro domain is being established; it will be restricted to credentialed professionals and related entities and is operated by RegistryPro.
** .mobi, for mobile business was recently approved.
*** .xxx, ??for adult content- not sure if this has been approved

Registrations in the domains listed above may be made through dozens of competitive registrars. For a list of the currently operating accredited registrars, go to the InterNIC site. Information about becoming an accredited registrar is available on the ICANN site.

* The .gov domain is reserved exclusively for the United States Government. It is operated by the US General Services Administration.
* The .edu domain is reserved for postsecondary institutions accredited by an agency on the U.S. Department of Education's list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies and is registered only through Educause.
* The .mil domain is reserved exclusively for the United States Military. It is operated by the US DoD Network Information Center.
* The .int domain is used only for registering organizations established by international treaties between governments. It is operated by the IANA .int Domain Registry.

Last edited:
•••
wow... thanks

did you type that out?... thanks!

:)

•••
M would go with anything. Use M.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back