IT.COM

status-resolved I dislike you! What’s your opinion?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What should we use as a dislike button

• 1st

Change it to DISAGREE

votes
    50.0%
  • 2nd

Keep DISLIKE

votes
    32.4%
  • 3rd

Other - specify below

votes
    10.3%
  • 4th

Use DOWNVOTE

votes
    7.4%

• 68 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
TC-VoteBallot (1).jpg

Vote here and lets see what your opinion is.

See the topic here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/we-must-and-can-fix-this.1138079/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Explained here:

Disagree isn’t possible right now (It will require development). The two viable choices so far are dislike or downvote. New suggestions welcomed ;)

Dislike:
I think most people use this as "I strongly don't like this" - spam, bad language, really bad advice, unsavoury, unfair/harassing post, etc.
This already exists currently and has specific functionality (as some kind of counter to "like"). It's entirely different to "disagree".
IMO Leave as is - "like" "dislike" as opposing pairs.

Disagree:
This is simply "I don't agree with this"
Opinions are subjective so this should not really be part of a count towards "like" or "dislike" as it's a different thing.
Maybe just a very simple DB table that stores each user who dislikes a post. Then on the post it just shows, eg, "Disagree: user1, user2" (same way with the likes, dislikes, thanks).

There are often times I want to disagree with someone but don't use "dislike" because my contrary opinion is not enough to warrant countering their "likes".

•••
There are often times I want to disagree with someone but don't use "dislike" because my contrary opinion is not enough to warrant countering their "likes”
Dislike counts are only used internally. Dislikes won’t subtract from their public likes counter. ;)

But negative Trade Reviews will subtract from their TradeReviews score.

•••
It would be nice to have a "Disagree" button so that you don't have to "Dislike" someone if you don't agree with them. (if this has already been suggested then I would reemphasize the need for having such an option).

Also is there any way that a Dislike can be appealed. (and where do you go to see how many dislikes have been given and by whom.)
Everyone would appeal and hit disagree every time so argue towards no dislike at all.

•••
That would be a full time job for someone and if you really think about it one cannot really stop someone from disliking something you say or do in real life so a moderator intervention is probably not justified.

I am with you though as far as disagree goes, I disagree far more often than I dislike, for this reason I rarely use the dislike feature.

You might be right, but if using Dislike is only used for the very extreme situations (by also having a Disagree button) then there wouldn't be that much extra load on the Moderators to process any appeals for when it might have been given unjustly because of hate or bullying by someone. IMO

Last edited:
•••
You might be right, but if using Dislike is only used for the very extreme situations (by also having a Disagree button) then there wouldn't be that much extra load on the Moderators to process any appeals for when it might have been given unjustly because of hate or bullying by someone. IMO
I think moderation of the dislike feature should only be necessary if a user accumulates a pre-determined number of dislikes. At that point, moderators should investigate to see whether or not action should be taken against the "disliked" member.

•••
Actually you should use the Disagree button if you think someone is spewing nonsense in Your Opinion and only use the Dislike button on the rare occasions that someone is making comments or posts that are not appropriate for a public and professional forum such as NamePros. IMO

We are getting into subjective perception here...what is disagreeable to you may be the ramblings of a lunatic to me and vice versa. (I would post an example here of a recent one, but no need to stir the nest!)

•••
We are getting into subjective perception here...what is disagreeable to you may be the ramblings of a lunatic to me and vice versa. (I would post an example here of a recent one, but no need to stir the nest!)

To use the Disagree button is okay and should not be taken in a negative way by anyone. The Dislike button on the other hand should only be used for the very extreme situations. IMO

•••
Happy, people will stop taking it personally, when I "disagree"

They literally cry!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
posted the below in the other"poll" sighhhhh

I am sorry but this is turning into a farce.......like or dislike was perfectly fine, why this has to be a big deal I will never know.

You either like the post or not, you either agree with the post or not - simple. If people are being offended by a simple dislike then the nanny state has won the war and we should all surrender now for mass nappy changes.

why not just keep the like/dislike and below it add agree/disagree......give the people a broader choice instead of having a "black or white" option......

why not add a happy emoji and sad emoji

why not
why not.......

mini rant done......going to go and enjoy the sunshine.....

can remove this one or that one in case duplication's are not allowed......

•••
Call it a downlike. Better for my fee fees

•••
•••
There's actually a greater risk of down-votes to dislikes, as people in general don't want to dislike a post out of courtesy, not wanting to hurt feelings etc, but a down vote is more impersonal, so..... IMO

•••
•••
How about a button that says.....

I disagree and dislike you ?

Would cover all the bases :xf.laugh:

•••
Where would this button be, on their profile page?

My issue with your thread title, not your thread, not you, but your title, is that it insinuates a dislike button means disliking you -- the person posting, rather than disliking the post itself.

Good point, I must have been on cnn too long. Picking up their bad habits.

Ps. my previous post was in jest.

•••
Ps. my previous post was in jest.

I know.

It was also an opening to comment on the click matey title that drew me into this thread in the first place. Arghhh 🦜like a pirate

•••
Haha..... So it worked. :xf.laugh:

Now to go and see if I can have the Donald can me fake news.

Life would be complete :ROFL:

•••
I have zero problems with dislike button-it’s easily understood as disliking the POST but would not be upset if it was changed to disagree to appease the sensitive.

Last edited:
•••
I would suggest that you change it to "You and your idiotic post make me physically ill". Lets go all in. We're all about being real, aren't we? So why be pansies. :xf.grin:

•••
"Disagree" should be used. That's my vote

•••
Almost forgot spite dislike

What is that?

That is when you dislike someone's post and then they follow you around for a week disliking every one of your posts because they feel slighted.

Really??
If you do that please consider going outside and getting some fresh air.

Show attachment 119749

Lol, I agree. Instead of spending that much effort, and looking kind of immature, if there is truly someone you do not want to see on the forum, just block them.

•••
And the disagree has taken the lead!!

Picture0021.png

•••
Almost forgot spite dislike

What is that?

That is when you dislike someone's post and then they follow you around for a week disliking every one of your posts because they feel slighted.

Really??
If you do that please consider going outside and getting some fresh air.

Show attachment 119749
That is against the rules. If you notice it, please report it. We will take action and remove their ability to dislike if need be.

Thanks.

•••
Are we really still debating this ? :xf.confused:

•••
Are we really still debating this ? :xf.confused:

Change is leading in the polls but namepros has said officially they cannot change it because old dislikes wont make sense.

So the obvious is to add a milder term like disagree to the thank function we already have.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back