NameSilo

I bought a domain at GoDaddy marketplace that isn't registered with GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,
There was a private sale auction at godaddy for a domain and I won the auction. I paid the money to godaddy. After that I realised the domain wasn't registered with Godaddy.

Now Godaddy wants me and the seller to handle the transaction ourselves by messaging each other. This is so stupid. They don't even have an interface on their site where the seller provides a transfer code. At least what godaddy should do is provide an interface that shows clearly what needs to be done.
1. buyer makes payment: done
2. seller provides epp code: waiting

If you have ever sold a domain at sedo you will now how it works there.

The seller isn't responding. Now I have contact Godaddy by email and explain them everything from the beginning.

Godaddy is definitely the most screwed up company in this industry. How can they do something so stupid. They provide the venue to the the sale and then they wash their hands of and leave both parties alone to deal with each other.

According this page I need to email godaddy and explain things first. Those morons don't have a problem taking a commission from each sale yet they don't have the slightest clue what the heck they are doing.
http://help.godaddy.com/topic/541/article/920

I thought sedo was messed up because they use domain transfers instead domain push. However godaddy is taking the piss with these unassisted domain transfers and the non existent user interface that should outline the process step by step.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought it was necessary to have the domain at godaddy to sell in the marketplace.

•••
I thought so too until Godaddy told me to send a message to the seller to arrange the details. Then I checked the whois and the domain is with enom.

I'm not happy at all. Godaddy doesn't have any of the user menus like sedo has to handle this kind of transfers. They don't oversee the transactions like sedo either.

•••
Godaddy allows you to list domains from other registrars.

This is good if you are a seller and can be good for the buyer if the seller follows through.

I always try to list which registrar the domain is with if it's not at Godaddy, just think it is nice for the buyer to know.

I'm looking for it to work out for you and the seller to send the transfer code or push the domain to you at Enom. %%-

•••
I emailed the seller asking for the transfer code and haven't heard anything. Remember that I have already paid to godaddy for this domain.

How am I supposed to complete the transaction? There are no menus at Godaddy website for the seller to enter a transfer code. We are supposed to everything on our own outside godaddy and then godaddy will take our word to finish the transaction. There isn't even a button to confirm I received the domain. There s nothing. This is so screwed up. Those bloody Godaddy people manage to mess up everything they do.

This is all you get as the buyer, a message box:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6559/godaddyproblem2.gif
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3385/godaddyproblem3.gif

There are lots of issues here if you are the buyer. The seller might not follow up and then you are on your own trying to explain godaddy what happened.

What they should do is to break the process into steps:
1.st step: buyer send payment: done
2.nd step: seller provides transfer code: waiting
3.rd step: the buyer starts the transfer

The whole process can be automated. All they need to do is to create a menu where the sellers needs to enter the transfer code. Then they will move to next step where they would initiate the transfer and ask me to pay for the transfer. Then they should confirm the transfer was successful.

Last edited:
•••
Godaddy.com auctions: paid money got nothing

Now Godaddy wants me to wait 15 days and then email them again to start a dispute to get my money back. This is so stupid.

Last edited:
•••
Interesting GoShady mess.

I am sorry about your situation, do keep us updated please.

•••
I went through this whole mess well over a year ago. Nothing has changed. I paid for a domain after winning it at Godaddy, and it was listed by a private seller. I had to pay immediately, but it took countless emails to get the owner of the names to push. He was a bit screwy, and Godaddy provided no support whatsoever.

When you win a name from a private seller at GD, they're right on you for payment. But after that, you're on your own in getting the name. Once GD has the money, the transaction is done as far as they're concerned. Unbelievably shoddy, especially for a large company like that.

Good luck with them.

•••
I have had so many problems buying names from private sellers there. Very little support, and several times the seller never transferred the name in the end (and Go Daddy Auctions would not force them even when the name was regged with them).

Selling there isn't much better as it takes Go Daddy about one month to pay you.

I think Go Daddy Auctions is best used for grabbing expired domains.

•••
Come to think that when you are registering or transferring a domain at Godaddy, you get flooded with step-by-step instructions to make sure you won't miss adding all those extra add-ons they are selling into your shopping cart. When you transfer a domain, all the steps are numbered as you go through the process...

I'm still planning to get a Godaddy Auctions account. Now i'm having 2nd thoughts...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back