Dynadot

interviews I ASKED 7 TOP DOMAIN INVESTORS WHAT THEY SEE FOR 2016 AND HERE IS WHAT THEY SAID

NameSilo
Watch
Sorry for the caps

I decided to ask 7 of the top domain investors in our industry a few questions about where they see the market heading in 2016 and a few other questions.
Many of the biggest and most successful domain investors are behind the scenes. Those who actively participate know who they are. They don’t blog, don’t comment on the blogs, and generally conduct their business in private. But they have an understanding of the current market as anyone you could talk to. I am fortunate to get to talk to these guys almost every day so I thought I would have them share some things with our readers. I asked them all the same questions.

Here's what they said

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great read!! Them seem very optimistic about 2016. Looks like things could heat up more with more Chinese coming into the market. Not much enthusiasm for the gtld market over all.

Sounds like LLLL.com domains will continue to be a sought after commodity.

"four letter domains going up to around $5000 apiece. These are just guesses of course but I still expect these values to be realized at some point in 2016. I speak mainly of letters because I have more experience, but I see numerics performing on a parallel also, maybe even at a slightly accelerated rate. This is because they are scarcer. It seems that Chinese latch onto certain sectors of the market at once and pump up values to never before seen levels. I think four letters have massive further growth potential and that would be what I would single out as the single best investment of the year, if I could focus on one area. The advice I would give to Westerners holding 4 numbers would be to have some solidarity. The guys selling at the bottom end are preventing a significant spike in value. Once there isn’t many to be bought at floor price (let’s say $2000 today), the values will go back to where they were before ($3000+) as demand is still very much there."

I think he meant to say "Westerners holding 4 Letters" not "Westerners holding 4 numbers"

4N.com will also increase in value and demand bring other numerics with them.
Thanks for the piece. 2x

•••
Thanks Brindle. Yes, my level of journalism is not quite that of Ron Jackson. I read through all of the answers but probably missed a few things. Pretty sure he meant Letters.

•••
The reason most Chinese do not buy just before CNY and have money in their accounts is that it is traditional and considered lucky to clean everything and settle debts before entering the new year and in many cases to have funds to distribute Laisee,- Red Packets.

•••
Thank you Shane for the write up :)

•••
Well done interviews, valuable insights from successful investors blended with a bit of persona and personality!

Thanks!

•••
I'm glad James Booth is now making positive steps ahead in the business.

•••
Appreciate the kind words Howie.

•••
Great interview and insight! Thanks for sharing it!B-)

•••
Great insight, Shane. Thanks for sharing

•••
Sorry for the caps

I decided to ask 7 of the top domain investors in our industry a few questions about where they see the market heading in 2016 and a few other questions. Here's what they said

Part One

Part Two
THANK YOU, Excellent post

•••
@Domain Shane Thanks for sharing..

This Question made me little happy because it applies to what I have.

If a new investor comes in right now and has $5K. Were would you tell them to put that money to get the best Return on Investment 12 months from now.

Tough one. I personally would put it into a premium LLLL.com nice AABB.com, ABBA.com, AAAB.com or buy 2 Asian/Western LLLL.coms.

I have GGGO.com and RRRU.com

Only 676 possible combination of AAAB in General.

Only 442 possible combination of AAAB in Triple Premium Letters.

Only 289 possible combination of AAAB in Quad Premium Letters.

GGGO.com = Quad Premium meaningful name

RRRU.com = Triple Premium meaningful name.

@Domain Shane Thanks again to share this kind of valuable info. I am happy that what I think is also valuable to others.

Thanks

•••
@TERADOMAIN
Hey, was wondering about the terms you are using - now as far as I understand - Asian market does not like o or u - and you place GGGo and RRRu into that category. Can you please advise? I have never got into LLLL market but looking around these days. I know the ship has long sailed, but there seem to be some aftermarket opps. Finally, while repeating # are great - how much would you appraise GGGo,com and RRRu.com these days?

•••
@TERADOMAIN
Hey, was wondering about the terms you are using - now as far as I understand - Asian market does not like o or u - and you place GGGo and RRRu into that category. Can you please advise? I have never got into LLLL market but looking around these days. I know the ship has long sailed, but there seem to be some aftermarket opps. Finally, while repeating # are great - how much would you appraise GGGo,com and RRRu.com these days?

Hi,

@heavend there is little misconception in market about Chinese Premium. We all are under impression that Chinese premiums are any letters except a,e,i,o,u,v that may be correct but not 100% true because even Chinese people use a,e,i,o,u in their spelling. For Example LIAN.com sold for $220,000 just couple of weeks ago which included i & a. I think Chinese names does not starts with vowel (I may be wrong too). Chaomi.cc is not LLLL.com but very popular site from we all see current market trends about what Chinese Friends buy/sell. There is India in Asia too whose Population is 1.2 Billion and India does not care about Premium or no premium as long as name is meaningful to them. I am from India and living in USA so I know about India a little.

Now lets come back to RRRU.com and GGGO.com ... I purchased both name not keeping anything about Chinese Market at all because they both represents their own meaning.

RRRU.com = .Ru is Russian extension itself make it more more valuable because whoever owns RR.RU this name can be more valuable to them plus any Company names in Russia whose name's short form is RR is also another area. Rolls Royce is one of example. There can be several meaning too. I purchased because I liked it. I already got offer around $3500-$4000 from Namepros Resellers too which is more than what I paid for.

GGGO.com = Meaning of GG is Good Game, Good Girl, GO GO etc and many more. And Go is very very popular word in town. So many company names includes Go in their name. This is Quad Premium Western LLLL.com too.

Another meaning can be GO GO GO too. I purchased this name keeping some website to make in mind. I would Appraise GGGO.com in range of $4500-$5000 to even reseller and more to end user.

I am still learning. I am not expert of anything. Sometimes I buy because I like it.

Thanks

•••
That sounds fine, so - you would sell the first one for about $4000 and the second one for about $4500. Now, from your own previous post and I quote: "If a new investor comes in right now and has $5K. Were would you tell them to put that money to get the best Return on Investment 12 months from now.
Tough one. I personally would put it into a premium LLLL.com nice AABB.com, ABBA.com, AAAB.com or buy 2 Asian/Western LLLL.coms."

So it seems like either the math doesn't add up or you would sell them both for $5000 if the new investor comes along. :)

Best of luck on those sales, good names, btw.

•••
That sounds fine, so - you would sell the first one for about $4000 and the second one for about $4500. Now, from your own previous post and I quote: "If a new investor comes in right now and has $5K. Were would you tell them to put that money to get the best Return on Investment 12 months from now.
Tough one. I personally would put it into a premium LLLL.com nice AABB.com, ABBA.com, AAAB.com or buy 2 Asian/Western LLLL.coms."

So it seems like either the math doesn't add up or you would sell them both for $5000 if the new investor comes along. :)

Best of luck on those sales, good names, btw.

Thanks. I will hold for little long if possible unless I need money really bad. I am not saying I will sell now I am just saying that is what I think is worth as of today. It can be more valuable tomorrow or even less. I think value will rise because there are only 676 possibilities with the name I hold.

Thanks

•••
Hi Heavend, In the interview what I meant by $5k to invest is putting the $5k into a CHIP AAAB.com and ABBB.com such as BBBC.com or BCCC.com for $5000. I wouldn't recommend buying 1 with vowels personally. There are still some bargains out there on these although most selling for $6k+ now without vowels. You could also pick up a nice ABBA.com for $3-4k like BCCB.com for example. Worth looking into. Alternatively 4L.com CHIPS are now trading at nearly $2500 each in China as you can see on Chaomi.cc. These are a commodity in China and will hit $3k+ this year easily. Just 2 days ago they were selling for $2k or under so you can see how fast the market moves. LLL.net also lots of room to grow. Maybe with $5k you can pick 2 up. Hope that helps. Regards, James

•••
The reason most Chinese do not buy just before CNY and have money in their accounts is that it is traditional and considered lucky to clean everything and settle debts before entering the new year and in many cases to have funds to distribute Laisee,- Red Packets.

I have a strong China+industry name .com which I hope to get a reply to after the CNY

•••
RRRU.com = .Ru is Russian extension itself make it more more valuable because whoever owns RR.RU this name can be more valuable to them plus any Company names in Russia whose name's short form is RR is also another area.

I thought hacks work the opposite way.

Company owning 4L in .com would be interested in cutting 2L off.
Example: Replacing Taco.com with Ta.co

Nice name anyway.

Last edited:
•••
Any value for new gtld 4L chips?

•••
•••
I thought hacks work the opposite way.

Company owning 4L in .com would be interested in cutting 2L off.
Example: Replacing Taco.com with Ta.co

Nice name anyway.

Yes Friend I do agree about hacks but still everyone wants .com at end because of strong global presence and recognition otherwise all company converted their names to hacks if possible. Still .com rules. We hear so many stories here and there that some xyz company bought .com version for certain amount. I do agree with you my friend but .com is .com end of day. Still nobody beat that reality as of now.

Thanks

•••
Still .com rules. Thanks

I agree, but I think this information be useful for you to know regarding .ru plans for RRRu.com, that opposite to Indian companies, Russian and German companies prefer to register names in their own TLDs.
.com is second choice on pair with .Ρ€Ρ„ in Russia, and the latter becoming more and more popular, especially in street advertising.

•••
I agree, but I think this information be useful for you to know regarding .ru plans that opposite to Indian companies, Russian and German companies prefer to register names in their own TLDs.
.com is second choice on pair with .Ρ€Ρ„ in Russia, and the latter becoming more and more popular, especially in street advertising.

Thanks @djum for sharing something which I didn't knew before. This is beauty of Namepros where people share what they know about and people like me can learn something new. I am still learning and I will always be learning.

Thanks

•••
Thanks @djum for sharing something which I didn't knew before. This is beauty of Namepros where people share what they know about and people like me can learn something new. I am still learning and I will always be learning.

Thanks
If you want to learn more about this particular market: Russian domains, I recommend starting here: https://domenforum/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back