Domain Empire

I am still a .CO.UK rookie; can you help?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
(I hope I am posting this in the most appropriate forum section...)

In my lifetime, I have sold just one .co.uk domain, earlier this year to a friend.
At the time I simply gave him access to my account (at 123-reg.co.uk), for him to take over, and he changed the WHOIS details from mine into his, plus updated the account's 'personal information' (address, email) to his, and changed the domain's DNS.

However, only now he (and thus me too, being the .co.uk-domains rookie that I still am) finds out that I still show as the registrant for the name, instead of him, and the only way to change it to his name is if he pays £35.25 to 123-reg.co.uk for this who will then take care of it with him (and me? And with the paperwork hassle etc.?)

So, my question is, is there a cheaper/better/easier way to have the registrant's name (mine) changed to his? For example, if he'd transfer the name to an account he'd set up at another .co.uk registrar? (And if that would work, would he then first need to change his WHOIS details for the name back to mine?)
Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Transfer to another .co.uk registrat would be OK, but you'd need to prepay for another year. I'm not sure if changing back WHOIS data back to you would be necessary but it shouldn't hurt to do it before the transfer.

•••
yeah, that sucks. I used them a few years back and found the same s* over and over. Try low cost names .co.uk they charge £3.75 a year for regged but you get everything after for free incl everything you just mentioned

Hope that helps

Ian

•••
Michau said:
Transfer to another .co.uk registrat would be OK, but you'd need to prepay for another year. I'm not sure if changing back WHOIS data back to you would be necessary but it shouldn't hurt to do it before the transfer.
Well, I've learned by now that a transfer to another registrar will not help, the £35.25 would still apply. Plus then indeed another year's registration fee.
(BTW, on a slightly different matter: If you transfer a .CO.UK from another registrar to 123-reg.co.uk, 123 also charges a transfer fee on top of that!)

collieri said:
yeah, that sucks. I used them a few years back and found the same s* over and over. Try low cost names .co.uk they charge £3.75 a year for regged but you get everything after for free incl everything you just mentioned
Well, there too the £35.25 charge would apply for domains changing ownership. Their site reads (among other things) :
If you no longer require your domain name you may wish to transfer it to another user instead of surrendering it. In order to cover the costs of providing this service, from 19 May 2003 Nominet will be charging a fee for transferring a domain name. The fee will be £30 + VAT per domain name and will apply to all transfer forms received by Nominet from 19 May 2003 onwards.

Anyway, thanks for your input, guys! :)

Best,
Rob

•••
Just wondering -- do the new ICANN transfer rules for registrars apply in this situation? Or are they only for gTLDs and not ccTLDs? They start Oct. 12th...

•••
.com and .net.

:P you people are clever

•••
Read this

I understand. I actually own over 100 .co/.net UK names and can't sell them. It costs an arm and a leg and Nominet is just not that responsive.

I had to pay a one time processing fee of 60 pounds! You can get that done freely with .coms/nets etc.. at your registrar. I haven't reged a UK name since and quite frankly Nominet's site is loaded with info that you need to maze yourself around to find pertinent stuff.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back