Domain Empire

HugeDomains got my .com with my name on it

Spaceship
Watch

MalRL

Impact
I had a .com domain with my name on it which I let expire (I know, it's my own fault).

So a company called HugeDomains bought it and is trying to sell it me for $3000 as a Premium domain. While I'm flattered they think of my name as premium, I can't and won't pay that absurd amount of money.

Is there any way to get the domain back?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Or you could just wait.
I have caught names that I had been tracking since 2005..

Really? You've been waiting for a super long time, 11 years to buy back from them?

•••
Backorder all popular site like Namejet, Dropcatch (you can use their service when domain at pending delete stage), Pheenix and wait for Huge Domain let it expire. either you use different extension.
I had a .com domain with my name on it which I let expire (I know, it's my own fault).

So a company called HugeDomains bought it and is trying to sell it me for $3000 as a Premium domain. While I'm flattered they think of my name as premium, I can't and won't pay that absurd amount of money.

Is there any way to get the domain back?

Backorder all popular site like Namejet, Dropcatch (you can use their service when domain at pending delete stage), Pheenix and wait for Huge Domain let it expire. either you use different extension if you want to save lot of excess money.

•••
What ar you using to track the domains?

•••
First, don't panic.

Try to contact the right person at HugeDomains and explain your situation. Just be honest and let's wait for a response.

If they still want $3,000 for it, ask if you can pay overtime or get a discount (or both). Just ask!

If there's nothing you can do here. Place a backorder at Namejet and move on.

•••
Really? You've been waiting for a super long time, 11 years to buy back from them?
No, waiting for the domain to drop.
But there have been a few occasions where I was able to buy a name after it changed owner (sometimes as part of portfolio).

•••
Once is gone, it gone...

...Forever, Forever, Forever, Forever

•••
Thank you so much to all of you for your answers.

I researched a bit more about the issue and this seems like the textbook definition of Cybersquatting. There are actually laws against this like the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in the US.

Illegal or not, I think it is extremely unethical to target people’s CVs and personal name domains. It is tantamount to extortion and I am not willing to negotiate with them.

My name is rare, it doesn’t have a lot of traffic and I don’t think I’ll be famous anytime soon, so good luck selling it! I already bought the .net domain so I’m good.

Again, thank you so much for your answers. They were very helpful. Good luck on your domaining!

•••
Just caught 2 firstnamelastname.com's.

•••
Thank you so much to all of you for your answers.

I researched a bit more about the issue and this seems like the textbook definition of Cybersquatting. There are actually laws against this like the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in the US.

Illegal or not, I think it is extremely unethical to target people’s CVs and personal name domains. It is tantamount to extortion and I am not willing to negotiate with them.

My name is rare, it doesn’t have a lot of traffic and I don’t think I’ll be famous anytime soon, so good luck selling it! I already bought the .net domain so I’m good.

Again, thank you so much for your answers. They were very helpful. Good luck on your domaining!

A good question to ask regarding cyber squatting and names is -

Is the registration specifically targeting me? Unless your name is so unique or you are very well known the answer is normally "No". If there are more than a handful of people sharing the name it is likely to have been registered regardless of you.

Huge Domains owns hundreds of thousands of domains, if not more. It is unlikely they are specifically targeting you.

Buying & selling popular name combos can be perfectly legitimate.

There are often many thousands of people who share the same name, and only (1) .COM. That is what makes them valuable to the right buyer.

Brad

•••
A good question to ask regarding cyber squatting and names is -

Is the registration specifically targeting me? Unless your name is so unique or you are very well known the answer is normally "No". If there are more than a handful of people sharing the name it is likely to have been registered regardless of you.

Huge Domains owns hundreds of thousands of domains, if not more. It is unlikely they are specifically targeting you.

Buying & selling popular name combos can be perfectly legitimate.

There are often many thousands of people who share the same name, and only (1) .COM. That is what makes them valuable to the right buyer.

Brad

My name is rare, but even if it wasn't. They are targeting domains that people forget to renew with the intention of selling to them at a higher price. Those domains are not valuable in and of itself. They are valuable to that person exclusively.

•••
My name is rare, but even if it wasn't. They are targeting domains that people forget to renew with the intention of selling to them at a higher price. Those domains are not valuable in and of itself. They are valuable to that person exclusively.

I guess a simple solution is to renew the domain. It is no longer "your" domain when it expires.
At that point you have lost the title to it and it becomes available for registration.

Unless you have a trademark, or can prove that you are well known or they are targeting you, it basically falls under capitalism.

I think they are targeting domains that might have more value to another party. It seems unlikely that they are planning on selling domains back to original owners for a large premium when they weren't even willing to pay a renewal fee on them.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My name is rare, it doesn’t have a lot of traffic and I don’t think I’ll be famous anytime soon...

The same can be said about diamonds, vintage Ferraris and smokin' hot girlfriends. They're valuable to SOMEONE and when you have them, you do everything you must to keep them.

•••
I f the Domain helps..in building more of your business...buy it!

Or if its just an emotional attachment to the name..don't buy it (you might wait for it to expire though)

sAm..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back