Dominion.Domains

HugeDomains.com is Buying 50%+ of Expiring Domains at GoDaddy.com

Located in Domain Expiration and Domain Drop Catching started by Arca, Dec 9, 2016.

Replies:
Views:

1. Fuadiansyah

Fuadiansyah Established Member

Maybe you could try crypto, but beware, it's still a wild west but full of surprise...

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. GeorgeQuang

GeorgeQuang Established Member

Seriously, i think mining crypto is a real biz, but it has more risks.
    Trading and Investing in Crypto is nearly playing gamble ( the game is controlled by a few guys, whom we call "Whale" or "Shark" - The ones who hold a huge number of a specific tokens/coins).
    My friends lost their money, their jobs because of investing all they had in crypto.

3. jideofor

jideofor Active Member VIP

I started making moves since 2017 and it is not wise to make domaining your main source of income, IMO. There are many other niches that will give you better returns. If you are in a country that spend heavily on imported products, you will make so much money in Importation business as a mini operator and the cash flow will be more than what domaining can offer you in a year.
    also strike huge contract deals , supplying products that you buy from manufacturers and China makes all these very possible!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It may be one of the reasons of why Huge Domains are doing what they do. Investing, but not in domains by itself (as the long- or short- time profitability of their current portfolio is not obvious). Investing in _elimination_ of competition, not important how large or small their competitors (we all here) are.

5. jideofor

You may be right but let's see how far they can go with such method... what I know is that it is not sustainable on long term

6. trelgor

trelgor Established Member

Long term can be l o n g t e r m when you have serious money, willing to wait for the real payoff. We don’t. Advantage: industrial scale domaining atrocity.

7. tonyk2000

Ironically, said investment (if it is the case) is funded by ourselves at least in part, as many of us do participate and actively in their dropcatch.com auctions

8. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Holy smokes have aftermarket prices gone bat sh*t crazy or what. I dabbled on a few today, and had a few on the radar, the prices are insane.

Names like cropmarketing.com used to be $12 specials, maybe $25-100 if you got another bidder in there, it closed at $675

Another one I didn't bid on branddocs.com which would be a clouseout buy for me if that, sold for like $700.

There is a few others that I bid $7xx, $8xx range, and I got outbid without a doubt, nothing special, but good long term holds, maybe in the $2-3K sweet spot range down the road with the right buyer, but to spend $1K to find out, nah.

Time to take a vacation.

9. jideofor

lol... domaining is no longer fun...

10. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

To expensive, and drawn out, it is going to take some time for these people to realize they are just paying to much for these domains. End users have more options than ever, some step up, some take the another route. There is only so many domains people can keep paying up for, before they max out their CC, or hit a rut.

11. Premiums

Premiums Find.Ventures - Domains For Startups VIP

like this post if you hate hugedomains

12. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Every domain should just come with a 37% HNT Huge Names Tax

By creating a higher overall selling price for all domains, they are simply just inflating their overall portfolio, risky gamble as long as they can sustain sales, if we hit a recession or something, it will get expensive for them.

Anyone win anything on dropcatch lately? It is just a gangbang fest in there trying to win a domain, everyone just piles on, and doesn't know when to stop.

Reyberry's momma never taught them to share

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  13. tonyk2000

I did so in 2017. Not 100% vacation, but was not actively bidding/preordering. Results - portfolio optimization, better parking configs, own forsale pages with all the features I wanted, better alternative monetization configs (non-parking), complete revision of potential tm issues on portfolio level, and, the last but not the least, more strict portfolio quality rules developed and applied. Those domains I knowingly dropped were later promptly grabbed mostly by hugedomains, well, good luck to them... these domains remained unsold for years including @ the latest prices - which I internally called liquidation prices - being some low-three-figures prices publicly visible everywhere including sedo/afternic. Yes I priced domains this way after internally marking them for non-renewal, why not - still >0 potential income if nonrenewal is planned. To my surprise, about 10% of these domains were sold before expiration (sedo and afternic mostly) so maybe they were not that bad - just overpriced :).

14. GeorgeQuang

Just Hit & Run.
    Last year, bought 4-5 domains/day.
    This year, 1 domain if i got luck.
    :xf.laugh:

15. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

i haven't picked up a name in 2 weeks

i'm not paying $xxx's for names that are subpar and may or may not sell ever, let some other idiot spend their money, lol

I'll will just wait it out, it seems to come and go in waves

16. GeorgeQuang

HugeDomain buys a name for 500$ and makes it "For Sale for the fixed- price at $2000".
    Any private domainers here can do that ? :xf.grin:.

17. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Not with 3000 buys across the day, not likely.

18. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

doesn't mean they will sell it for $2,000

if im going to spend $500 on a name i want it to be worth or have the potential to sell for high $x,xxx + at least

19. jideofor

They have been trimming down the pool and some days ago I check closeout but could HARDLY find anything decent, plus my settings only returned 1 page which used to be 3 pages in the past.

20. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

im not sure if it huge domains or a bunch of newbies scraping the bottom of the barrel to pick up names.

you would need to save a good sample of names prior to closeouts and check to see who owns them a few weeks later

21. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

It’s huge domains they are buying thousands daily, and not much of anything decent is hitting closeouts, I tried a few weeks back, everything I was outbid on they won. They are using a bot, and just scraping everything. This is no coincidence newbies maybe pushing back in bidding, but huge names continues to spend, and win. Newbies would not be as consistent, and would quickly burn thru their bankrolls.

Increasing wholesale prices, while restricting inventory only helps huge names who own over 4 million domains.

I wish there was a better answer, but they have the budget, and the bots.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  22. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2018 VIP

There is one problem that hugedomains might not see...

With people bidding higher it is also costing hugedomains more because previously they could buy everything for pennies and now they too have to bid higher.

I bid on a few domains that I would ordinarily have gotten for 15 bucks and I put $200 in as a max bid. They still ended up at huge domains. I repeated at $250 and same thing. So the cost of acquisition has gone up exponentially at huge domains. That might hurt them and bite them in the ass in the end.

23. domeen

domeen Active Member VIP

The probably have more money then they could spend anyway. So if its $15 or $200, no difference to them

24. imadoer

imadoer Active Member PRO VIP

Competition is getting fierce. There's becoming no more crumbs for the little guy. Cant even win a domain at a good reseller price. If you win you will be stuck waiting for a enduser.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  25. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2018 VIP

Don't be too sure about that, as a group domainers can put a real dent on their profits.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!