Dan.com

discuss How would you convince the .COM owner to buy .NET or .ORG?

Namecheap
Impact
1,226
If you owned say BeachVilla.org, how would you convince the owner of .COM to buy your domain name?
If you are not convincing them, who else would you reach out and what would be your pitch?

My answer:
I would reach out to the .COM owner saying that this will add power to your brand. However, I wouldn't expect a sale.
To other potential owners, I would pitch how it can be forwarded to their current brand and get value from the direct search traffic. Again if the owner asks how does .ORG help here, I wouldn't have any answer honestly.

Hence, the question.
 

karmaco

Top Contributor
Impact
9,107
First thing to verify is that there is no trademark. You contact no one if there is a trademark.

If contact is possible you learn everything you can about the company and the owner of the com.

In your example BeachVilla in king is a single villa for rent that houses 10 people. This person is not going to spend alot of money.

BeachVillas plural with another word has many trademarks. You avoid any of those people. You check all the above no matter what the name.

You make one contact and present a buy it now of a low price or hold out for other buyer or end user. You shouldn’t have to convince anyone of anything if the price is very reasonable.
 
Impact
1,226
First thing to verify is that there is no trademark. You contact no one if there is a trademark.

If contact is possible you learn everything you can about the company and the owner of the com.

In your example BeachVilla in king is a single villa for rent that houses 10 people. This person is not going to spend alot of money.

BeachVillas plural with another word has many trademarks. You avoid any of those people. You check all the above no matter what the name.

You make one contact and present a buy it now of a low price or hold out for other buyer or end user. You shouldn’t have to convince anyone of anything if the price is very reasonable.
That's correct but let's suppose you are willing to liquidate to invest in some other good domain name which is a limited time opportunity. What do you do then?
 
Top