NameSilo

discuss How would start off again with $100 today?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Anybody who has made it in the industry or is somewhere where they wanted to be, I have this small question.

If it were today to start off again in domaining from scratch and a $100 and all the info that you have today, how would you start off?

As for me, I'd go ahead, do thorough research, wait for some coupons and buy like 15 geo domains.. Try flipping 2-3 of them at $250-$499 kind of price and scale up by rinse and repeat process.

How about you guys?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
“You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.”

Steve Jobs
Yes I know. The point of this thread is to use the knowledge. For anyone starting out and not able to figure out how to go about it, it can prove beneficial looking at how to approach the market

•••
It took me a couple years to realize the geo domain market, but I think i’d give that a shot starting with $100. You can find pretty solid ones on the drop if you’re patient enough, so if you grabbed 20 or so using coupons, you could get your money back after one sale. Easier said than done, but that’d be an easier task for a rookie domainer to sell a few geos than try to find one or two great names for a huge bargain.

That is a good point.

The right way :)

Precisely. The only right way is to try out. Isn't it?

•••
If all I had to invest was $100 in this game. I would look for a domainer that had several valuable names that he was trying to sell and I would ask for a fee if I could locate a buyer. Or I might ask them to pay a fee if I found them a bargain. Either way I'd ask for a minimum of 10%. Basically I am saying time is money. The time pay off would most likely far out exceed the profit you might get from a domain name you might be able to buy for $100.

That being said I hand registered superapp.co for $8.00 and change. 2 months later I got an offer of $5,000.00. I didn't sell it but I could have. I also hand registered ep.bz for $40 and sold it for $1,000.00. I paid $50 for kingsalmon.net and recently I bought vegasvacation.org for $100. So there are deals out there.

•••
Now we are in the stages that tens of thousands of speculators world-wide will buy up just about anything that catches the eye.

great news
I have stuff to sell thats eye catching

•••
I can remember my first investment in domains. It was in the 90's. I didn't even have a computer. E commerce was just starting. People didn't trust the internet and they were afraid to spend money at websites. I didn't understand the internet. There were so few websites. I didn't understand what a good domain was. So I picked a phrase I thought was good and I bought it. My first domain was salesareup.com . Back the it cost $90 to hand register a name. Needless to say I didn't make a dime on the name. I can't remember some of the other names that I blew money on. But then I bought 0dn.com for $375 that was the number zero. It stood for Zero Down. I had a website built for $2000. And soon I was generating 400 to 1000 leads a day for Real Estate agents and lenders. I was offered $7 per lead.

•••
When it comes to GEO Domains would you simply do outbound for them? Or where would you be looking to sell them at?

Mostly outbound.
Whatever doesn't sell, putting it on Sedo or preferable Afternic just in case someone comes up.
Outbound is a game of numbers I believe

•••
hmm, i'd be very wary of entering the domain market today, after almost 20 years. at least a long-time ago you could put in 10 to 20 hours work and be fairly sure you had something, even if the market wasn't quite ready to buy-it. Now we are in the stages that tens of thousands of speculators world-wide will buy up just about anything that catches the eye. can't say it hasn't been interesting and at-times damn right adrenaline pumping

My advice today - find another good hobby that kicks off at around $100

Last edited:
•••
•••
Id buy as many aged 5 letter pronounceable cvcvc names i could get. I can see alot of potential in these

•••
Products and Services make the world go around

•••
Buy eggs - then sit on the eggs until they are hatched.
Raise the chickens - sell the chickens them when they are big - keep the eggs
Use the money to buy baby pigs - raise them and sell them when they are big
Use the money to buy cows - sell them when they are big
and use the money to buy LLL.com names
could always upgrade the cows to horses then then upgrade horses until you have a champion. Then sell the semen. Enough semen sales and you are into LL.com and NN.com territory.

•••
I regd one .be and sold it in one week for €300,- . that's one way to do it (:

•••
I would drop catch / snap 2-4 domains and put them up for sale. Just as I do now.

Perfectly matched (keyword + extension) new gTLDs or / and .com / .org...

•••
Invest in stocks instead :)

Liquidity( Loss or profit) in stock market is definitely appealing..
Real estate is a different ballgame, investment capital needed is high but you generally make 10x gains over a 10 year period ( depends on the country/location)
Domains appear to be illiquid but the returns seem to be phenomenal for people who have the know how..i'm a loser in this space:xf.grin:

•••
hmm, i'd be very wary of entering the domain market today, after almost 20 years. at least a long-time ago you could put in 10 to 20 hours work and be fairly sure you had something, even if the market wasn't quite ready to buy-it. Now we are in the stages that tens of thousands of speculators world-wide will buy up just about anything that catches the eye. can't say it hasn't been interesting and at-times damn right adrenaline pumping

My advice today - find another good hobby that kicks off at around $100

I have started running...doing some good to my bile:xf.grin:

•••
Awww, tough with just $100..

OK, best I could come up with is blow it all on as many LLNN.com as possible with no vowels or 4's. Preferably where one of the numbers is a 8.
Any research behind this? Do u see good potential in it going fwd?

Id buy as many aged 5 letter pronounceable cvcvc names i could get. I can see alot of potential in these

Anything that you read/researched here?

Buy eggs - then sit on the eggs until they are hatched.
Raise the chickens - sell the chickens them when they are big - keep the eggs
Use the money to buy baby pigs - raise them and sell them when they are big
Use the money to buy cows - sell them when they are big
and use the money to buy LLL.com names

I think it's time to start with the eggs Johnn ;)

•••
there is a lot of people own domai names but didnt know how to promote them, why dont you learn how to promote and brooker for somebody else domain, you could get commisiion for each sale, you also could made a good ebook and sell it :D

•••
•••
Find something you are confident you can sell, be it multiple or a single domain, make sure the TLD it uses is trustworthy, make sure you are patient and get the domains you want, not being in too much of a rush.
Profit is relevant to investment value/capital used, so just be cautious and expect realistic returns, while reaching for the stars!

•••
•••
I do it since 2001
when do you think it will end exactly?

I dont know but how long will domain name investors continue to tollerate udrps taking their digital property off them for free

Businesses will always need a digital address

It was telex then fax then email then domain names then socialmedia usernames etc

The skills of finding quality keywords or inventing brandable words etc won't go away although the,technology they exist in will no doubt change as technology gets better in due course

I reckon keeping domain names for the long term although the preferred method for some of the long term investors can be profitable it could also prove costly if technology accelerates past domain name on to something else leaving domain name investors with very large domain name portfolios standing to lose a,considerable fortune

Many an industry that was thriving back in the day no longer exists today

It could be likened to fuel type

car retailers at some point will have fields of diesel and petrol cars sitting in fields that cant be sold because fuel technology will change

Who knows where domain names will be in a few years

But domain flippers wont get stuck holding large portfolios

A bit like day trading the stock market etc

Eg in a trade for 5 mins and made a profit and sold 5 mins later etc

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I would put 100 dollars in to a day trading account and day trade the stockmarket instead

It would be much more profitable

Domain name investing wont be about for long

•••
Domain name investing as enjoyable as it is etc is becoming problematic

Its a game of snakes and rats

More and more domain name investors are having problems with udrps etc

Stocks and shares are a better investment as is crypto

Even 3 L dot coms are subject to udrps etc

Domain name investing is and industry built on sand and the tides coming in

Rats dont have meaningful conversations with snakes as when a rat asks the,snake what time it is etc

its always tea time for the snake

Right on the money!

•••
Right on the money!

Anywhere else in business any shop you like on earth etc

It isnt the buyers problems to waste time doing research to see if a product is legally able for them to buy

(Only in the domain name industry does a buyer have to research their investment before buying their investment )

If i buy shares etc i can buy 1000's of shares instantly at a given price and as a buyer i dont have to research the shares if i dont want to i can just click and buy knowing that if they are listed for sale they can be bought

Very very basic terms and conditions of sale eg if it is for sale it can legally be bought

The domain name industry hasnt got to this point yet

In the,domain name industry its

(Do your research when buying a domain name because you might get stung via,a udrp because absolutely no checks have been done by those that ought to know better

A domain name registrar is like buying food without selling by dates

Eg the food was fit for consumption a few years ago lol but wether it is now is anyones guess

That's effectively where the domain name industry is at the monent

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back