Domain Empire

discuss How would start off again with $100 today?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Anybody who has made it in the industry or is somewhere where they wanted to be, I have this small question.

If it were today to start off again in domaining from scratch and a $100 and all the info that you have today, how would you start off?

As for me, I'd go ahead, do thorough research, wait for some coupons and buy like 15 geo domains.. Try flipping 2-3 of them at $250-$499 kind of price and scale up by rinse and repeat process.

How about you guys?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Buy eggs - then sit on the eggs until they are hatched.
Raise the chickens - sell the chickens them when they are big - keep the eggs
Use the money to buy baby pigs - raise them and sell them when they are big
Use the money to buy cows - sell them when they are big
and use the money to buy LLL.com names

Last edited:
•••
Buy 5 domains for $100 and sell for around $300. Repeat.

•••
$12, $100, $1000, $5000, $10,000USD etc it does't really matter what you start with. I would start with at least $1000USD and would buy 1-3 names at auction then I would follow this steps:

1.Become Obsessed with success and domain investing.
2.Decide if you want to be a flipper or long term investor(5years+);
3. Write down a basic SOP(Standard Operation Procedures), and set a clear defined goal/$$$ target;
4.Learn to Sell and Negotiate like a PRO and NEVER EVER lower your goal/target;
5.GO ALL IN 100% ALL the time! ahem...be obsessed!

I wish I knew 10 years ago what I know today, and I should have never taken shortcuts.
Contrary to popular belief I would recommend NOT listening and doing what others are doing!
"Money doesn't grow on trees! A penny saved is a penny earned! and my all time favorite quote : "Your domain is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it." LOL

Probably the biggest MISTAKE in my 10 years of domain investing was not THINKING BIG enough,not knowing how to get my way negotiating a deal/life, and not getting my MONEY RIGHT!

•••
Anybody who has made it in the industry or is somewhere where they wanted to be, I have this small question.

If it were today to start off again in domaining from scratch and a $100 and all the info that you have today, how would you start off?

As for me, I'd go ahead, do thorough research, wait for some coupons and buy like 15 geo domains.. Try flipping 2-3 of them at $250-$499 kind of price and scale up by rinse and repeat process.

How about you guys?

“You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.”

Steve Jobs

•••
It took me a couple years to realize the geo domain market, but I think i’d give that a shot starting with $100. You can find pretty solid ones on the drop if you’re patient enough, so if you grabbed 20 or so using coupons, you could get your money back after one sale. Easier said than done, but that’d be an easier task for a rookie domainer to sell a few geos than try to find one or two great names for a huge bargain.

•••
This is what you do with $100 . You get a huge list of available names together and just wait for a $1 to $3 registration special and get what you can

•••
Step#1. Exchange $100 bill for pennies.
alg-pennies-jpg.jpg

Step#2. To germinate the pennies soak your feet in pennies for 100 minutes.
M-na0416-Sig-Serv-Petal-Soak-2.jpg

Step#3. Plant $100 worth of pennies.
unnamed.jpg

Step#4. Piss on the penny plant seeds
pissing-garden-elf.jpg

Step#5. Wait 100 days for a money tree to grow.
220119_1413482479.png

Step#6. Take the money from the tree and repeat Step#3
150729-moneygrowing-stock.jpg

Step#7. :ROFL:
Scrooge_McDuck_swimming.jpg

Step#8. Buy a laptop preferably Alienware.
a2fbe91f650efc4d84601db92cb0cc23af5bbcd9_large.jpg

Step#8. Register domain names that makes no sense.
Register-Domain-Name-800x600-1024x768.jpg

Step#9. List the domain names on marketplace. Don't forget to pay for the premium listing!
Screen-Shot-2016-01-11-at-4.15.43-PM.png

Step#10. Get NamePros membership and ask other members
"How would You start off again with $100 today?" :woot:
400x400.png

•••
Buy eggs - then sit on the eggs until they are hatched.
Raise the chickens - sell the chickens them when they are big - keep the eggs
Use the money to buy baby pigs - raise them and sell them when they are big
Use the money to buy cows - sell them when they are big
and use the money to buy LLL.com names
And then sell the LLL
use the money to buy a farm.
To retire on.
Oh wait.

•••
Same as the old days
Compile expired .com lists
Compile forum .com domains for sale from other domainers
Buy the best quality from those lists as quality trumps quantity
Put them all on my own sales pages
Put them on Afternic distribution
Hand regs can ring the register as well sometimes as I've sold a few of those in the 1-16k range

Only difference today is was a lot less eyeballs on these lists in 2003

Last edited:
•••
I'd go back to 1994 and reg a bunch of one word domains for free.

•••
It's a patience business with $100 investment .If you do outbound then that's good if you can do it well .I don't do outbound .Look for keywords in sectors that are in high demand.Health,technology,business and marketing e.t.c.Not everyone has patience and not everyone has the drive in this business .You need liquidity always and so plan before investing .Read and be up to date.Ask Questions,don't always price too cheap. $100 may net you 4 ,5 and even 6 figures .

Just research and go for it .Its not impossible to Make money in domainin.Easier said than done for most .

Just few things I have learnt from here and some great friends I connect with.Some very smart people here to really learn from .Just follow a pattern.Watch threads and then take a leap of faith.Don't give up just because you don't have money . $100 is limited but it can grow better than being deposited in a bank where you won't get same ROi if invested smartly on a domain name.

•••
Write a book called " Domaining: How to start off again with $100 today? "
and start hosting webinars and getting speaking engagements.

The goal of domaining is to make money, start making money.

Last edited:
•••
Buy something you could see yourself developing -- even if you're not a developer.

If you don't see a vision for the domain, then you're gambling (usually on domain metrics)

Ask yourself what could the domain be used for, and who would want to use it. If you yourself want to use it, then you answered your own question.

Should an inbound inquiry come your way, you won't have to lie when you say you bought the domain for a project. Then when asked for the price, the price will be at a cost you are willing to give up the project that may or may not have materialized.

This way, when you continually renew the domain, you're renewing it because you genuinely want it, not solely because you are hoping to sell it.

Last edited:
•••
$100? Yup research, but I would stay away from hand-regs. Visit the auctions here on NP, and build your trust.

If you are just starting out, why not at least try and snowball a name or two that's already been exposed..

•••
•••
•••

How about you guys?
Awww, tough with just $100..

OK, best I could come up with is blow it all on as many LLNN.com as possible with no vowels or 4's. Preferably where one of the numbers is a 8.

•••
•••

How about you guys?

That is exactly how I built my domain business, but do not limit myself to GEO, since there is also money in hand-reg product and service names.

I price most between the range you mention, but in many cases have flipped recently registered names for $500-600.

•••
When you say that, what do you mean?

Domain name investing as enjoyable as it is etc is becoming problematic

Its a game of snakes and rats

More and more domain name investors are having problems with udrps etc

Stocks and shares are a better investment as is crypto

Even 3 L dot coms are subject to udrps etc

Domain name investing is and industry built on sand and the tides coming in

Rats dont have meaningful conversations with snakes as when a rat asks the,snake what time it is etc

its always tea time for the snake

Last edited:
•••
Invest in stocks instead :)

is that a joke?
have you ever bought stocks?

$100 USD will give you trading fees
nothing else

•••
I would put 100 dollars in to a day trading account and day trade the stockmarket instead

It would be much more profitable

Domain name investing wont be about for long

I do it since 2001
when do you think it will end exactly?

•••
I like the question. There are those that are innovative, imaginative, hard working and willing to start at the bottom and work their way up. I believe that most people who start in this business with only $100 are doomed for failure. But there is a possibility a lesson will be learned. So many people go from cradle to grave without taking chances. Either way the $100 is insignificant. Whether the $100 is lost on a domain name investment or spent in a bar the money will eventually be consumed. But I believe the new investor will gain a valuable lesson. This is like learning to swim. I love to watch a child go from testing the water with his toe to diving in and making a splash.

There are those that can't handle the challenge. But there are those that thrive on it.

Some of the members here have pointed out the challenges, the snakes and the rats. But I would also point out the various websites and tools available on the internet that can be used for free. To determine value, traffic, PR, availability etc. If there is a place to turn a profit on a small investment. Domains are one of the most popular place to take a chance.

•••
I'd put that hundie on black 22.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back