IT.COM

analysis How to stay focused with a portfolio

NameSilo
Watch

Domaindogged

Top Member
Impact
Hi Forum

I am a lateral thinker and enjoy trawling the web on any and all subjects. The lack of a niche filter means a portfolio of domains can soon be amassed. Just scanning the first 5-6 names suggests I'm all over the place. Any suggestions on how to narrow the portfolio to a core few for the long game?

aerodocket.com

anime.school

assetwhale.com

bedigitalsecure.com

biometricstatus.com

blockchainsng.com

bodymicrophone.com

booster.bike

brazenlie.com

cannabissoftchew.com

cannasium.com

cannavay.com

cladding.homes

cloudmoneytransfer.com

cloudselfserve.com

commercialdrone.training

commoditiesgold.com

criticalmineral.com

cryptodeux.com

custombuild.homes

czechcanna.com

decommute.com

dervert.com

descendant.xyz

displayvillage.homes

dnlearn.com

dxstorage.com

electricmotor.bike

emeraldwisp.com

endorseable.com

esportleader.com

farmcropcannabis.com

farmcrophemp.com

filmfails.com

flavorcartridge.com

foldablefone.com

fastdata.management

fruitray.com

ft.network

fulfilment.center

gamelibrary.live

globalnetworklab.com

gregarious.irish

gutfiber.com

hardcash360.com

hempnurserystock.com

highspeed.network

holdem.promo

ihodlit.com

infh.net

insulate.homes

iotbeerkeg.com

iotguided.com

iquiz.xyz

kiosk.bike

labtestcanna.com

legpainrelief.com

lighthouse.homes

marlin.blue

microsurgeryrobot.com

muchcannabis.com

nanotel.co

naturalhempproduct.com

navyrailgun.com

nichestrain.com

ninjalook.com

npr.info

oases.city

opinitive.com

plantsofpromise.com

phantomrouter.com

pledgeledger.org

primarysense.com

printcopy.center

pristineextract.com

promfinest.com

pudgebudge.com

quic.bet

recreation.bike

reply.cx

restore.blue

robotcarwash.com

robotcomputation.com

robotcompute.com

robotution.com

see.mn

shifting.homes

smartbloch.com

soberium.com

surelock.homes

texlah.com

thaicannabismedicine.com

thirdly.xyz

totalbodycannabis.com

totalbodyhemp.com

trophelios.com

truly.one

uncertain.world

velvetcorridor.com

washitin.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some names are honestly not bad at all. But I think it must be a real pain to manage your portfolio. I do not object quality of some of your names names, I object the structure of your portfolio..for my taste, it is chaotic, and you will not be able to manage it well.

So first, I think you should decide whether to focus on .com or on new gTLDs. I do not think one can realistically focus on both (few people say they can, honestly, I do not much believe them ...)

Second:
if you choose.com, then choose some areas, topics, niches (like vr, drones, health, bikes, etc), simply I would choose 3-4 niches and focus on them. The point is to achieve some kind of synergy between the names. (why synergy? - for example, if you have nice set of vr names, chances are you would be able to unload this set to another domain investor in vr niche, if the names are good and you have some cashflow emergency).

If you choose new gTLDs, then again, choose just few extensions (those which are easy to hold, first study in which registrars you can achieve good renewal prices). At the moment you have crazy mix of various new gTLDs, so you can not utilise renewal or transfer promotions really well, What I mean by that: for example, I have 40 .life names...so when I see some good transfer promotion, I can bulk-transfer my names, and easily renew all of them in 1 batch. But when you have 1 name in .training, 1 name in .world, 1 name in .promo, 1 name in .xyz, etc - I think this is totally not manageable.

As for quality of your names, you can easily drop around 80-90% of names with no regret, as they will not bring financial profit anytime soon. You can keep 10-20% of names, and you will be doing ok. Some of your names are really nice. GL :)

•••
Some names are honestly not bad at all. But I think it must be a real pain to manage your portfolio. I do not object quality of some of your names names, I object the structure of your portfolio..for my taste, it is chaotic, and you will not be able to manage it well.

So first, I think you should decide whether to focus on .com or on new gTLDs. I do not think one can realistically focus on both (few people say they can, honestly, I do not much believe them ...)

Second:
if you choose.com, then choose some areas, topics, niches (like vr, drones, health, bikes, etc), simply I would choose 3-4 niches and focus on them. The point is to achieve some kind of synergy between the names. (why synergy? - for example, if you have nice set of vr names, chances are you would be able to unload this set to another domain investor in vr niche, if the names are good and you have some cashflow emergency).

If you choose new gTLDs, then again, choose just few extensions (those which are easy to hold, first study in which registrars you can achieve good renewal prices). At the moment you have crazy mix of various new gTLDs, so you can not utilise renewal or transfer promotions really well, What I mean by that: for example, I have 40 .life names...so when I see some good transfer promotion, I can bulk-transfer my names, and easily renew all of them in 1 batch. But when you have 1 name in .training, 1 name in .world, 1 name in .promo, 1 name in .xyz, etc - I think this is totally not manageable.

As for quality of your names, you can easily drop around 80-90% of names with no regret, as they will not bring financial profit anytime soon. You can keep 10-20% of names, and you will be doing ok. Some of your names are really nice. GL :)

Great Points. Thanks for pointing out some of the mechanics of smart domaining. Could you suggest 2-3 names that might be worth keeping ?

•••
Can I express a partially alternative view re part of @lolwarrior superb post?

Re legacy vs ngTLD I see some virtue in not going only one direction or the other. My reasons for feeling this way are twofold. The first is diversification. So far there is no doubt that the vast majority of sales are in .com (although vast majority of domainer competition too!). So far that has stayed steadfast, but ngTLDs do have some hopeful signs as well. I think it reduces risk to invest somewhat in both.

Secondly, if you maintain your own website or otherwise interact with potential purchasers, I see some value in having a mix of legacy and ngTLD. This helps emphasize the fact that functionally and in terms of SEO each work the same. Also, some buyers may come looking for one, but find one in the other class they like better (or in addition).

There might be a third reason as well. If one invests in both one also tracks both markets more closely, and that knowledge can be important in responding to queries and helping users find the best domain for them.

Re how many extensions, I think it depends on how much time one has. If one has enough time to track renewal rates, why not have a number of extensions? The whole idea of so many new extensions is to give lots of breadth for meaningful combinations across the dot. If one the other hand one only has a limited amount of time to handle a portfolio I totally agree it is better to have mainly a handful of extensions.

I would also like to add that I think it is worthwhile to mentally split (especially ngTLDs with deep discounts in registration) in the portfolio into two lists, one that I feel is worth trying to sell for one year, and a smaller list of what I consider the best names that are worth renewing for the long term.

I find most of your portfolio just fine in terms of a one year trial, @Domaindogged. As would be the case for my portfolio, or many others, the number I would renew is a smaller subset, although as I mentioned earlier there are a number that I like enough to keep multiple years.

Best wishes,

Bob

Last edited:
•••
These are the names that I would at least consider making it in a long term hold pattern (although renewal costs and number inquiries/offers would govern which I actually keep, along with an analysis of sales and search/advertise characteristics).

The ones I bolded I feel more strongly positive about. I am certainly not saying I would renew all of these, but I would analyze them for consideration.

anime.school

bodymicrophone.com

booster.bike

cannasium.com

cannavay.com

cloudmoneytransfer.com

cloudselfserve.com

commercialdrone.training

custombuild.homes

decommute.com

descendant.xyz

electricmotor.bike

esportleader.com

filmfails.com

fastdata.management

gamelibrary.live

highspeed.network

insulate.homes

iotguided.com

iquiz.xyz

kiosk.bike

lighthouse.homes

microsurgeryrobot.com

nanotel.co

naturalhempproduct.com

oases.city

opinitive.com

pledgeledger.org

printcopy.center

pristineextract.com

promfinest.com

quic.bet

reply.cx

robotcompute.com

see.mn

surelock.homes

truly.one

uncertain.world

velvetcorridor.com

Very best of luck with your portfolio!

Bob

•••
•••
my likes:

assetwhale.com - asset mgmt top brand.
dnlearn.com - sell courses
robotcompute.com - top one next 10 years
foldablefone.com - top one next 10 years
opinitive.com - grand news brand
dxstorage.com- top one next 10 years (storage is the constraint of the info age)
fruitray.com - nice brand liked it
insulate.homes- future climate change survival
legpainrelief.com - ever green
plantsofpromise.com- herbs are the future
texlah.com - arab name

good luck.

•••
If you're just starting out, I would recommend staying away from all domain extensions other than .com, and only buying 1 or 2 words, no hyphens or numbers.

With all the "brandable" type marketplaces, it's easy to get caught up in trying to put together creative domains ,but realistically no one will be searching to register these domains. So the only exposure a domain like this will get would be at a brandable type marketplace, and those marketplaces are flooded with domains, so it's unlikely your domain would even be seen if you listed it there (the people making the real money are those that run these websites, not many of the people who list names there). The exception to this would be really short made up words like NEWSY etc.

I would take all of your domains and list them on Afternic and on Sedo. This will get your domains listed on all their partner websites, so if someone was searching on GoDaddy or another registrar for your domain, your domain would come up with a buy it now price.

Consider listing them at the lowest buy it now price and see what happens.

Last edited:
•••
It is so easy to be come 'over imaginative' when coming up with domains.
Then we convince ourselves that it is lateral or creative thinking that somebody will latch onto. The truth is, Yes one-day someone may just contact you for a particular domain
But, the cost of your renewals wipes that single sale out in a second. I've been there.. 100 invents becomes 200 becomes 500 and so on. There's nothing worse than having to bring in $20,000 a year just to break even
This is from a guy with $300,000 plus of sales, Profit +/- No I don't even want to calculate.
Don't let your imagination run away with you.
You may think the wording is clever but, that doesn't make it memorable.
If a domain requires 'Reading' it's already wrong, word recognition is key, in inventive pairs.
Having a dot in-between wording just sews confusion unless it is so clever or has a massive promotional budget, they will break your bank

HI
this post was expressed so well, that i felt compelled to quote it

imo...

•••
HI
this post was expressed so well, that i felt compelled to quote it

imo...

Thanks Biggie, It's difficult to summarize 20 years of domaining into a single paragraph but, it's all from the lessons learnt and indeed, taught me by some darn good old hands going right back to the 90's.

I have to admit I too am a creative domainer but, I only do it with a future technology in mind, and only ones I expect to have multiple-avenues of application.

The trouble with most creative types is they don't concentrate or focus on the whys-and-wherefores of where that future demand is going to be coming from, instead they try to create something from nothing and it pretty much stays nothing. The beauty of latching onto future technologies is that the created pairs of words are sometimes still there to be had, +plus the bonus of watching and reading about those technologies evolving long before they move into the commercial sector.

Domaining has been just a long-term savings plan for me, money that I would have just frittered away otherwise. I've yet to meet a creative or artistic type that was ever any good at bookkeeping

Last edited:
•••
You need to “Like” every name you buy or register, unless you already have a buyer for a name you don’t care for, and that happens from time to time.

You will be admiring your names far more than anyone else for years possibly so don’t buy anything that you personally don’t like. If you like your portfolio, you will be much happier paying renewal fees every year.

We all make the mistake of buying or registering on impulse, we just have to let those names drop or wholesale em out and move forward.

I only prefer .com - .org domain names, but I can’t tell you to just focus on .com and .org personally, you may like an assortment of extensions, and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as YOU like what you own

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Biggie, It's difficult to summarize 20 years of domaining into a single paragraph but, it's all from the lessons learnt and indeed, taught me by some darn good old hands going right back to the 90's.

I have to admit I too am a creative domainer but, I only do it with a future technology in mind, and only ones I expect to have multiple-avenues of application.

The trouble with most creative types is they don't concentrate or focus on the whys-and-wherefores of where that future demand is going to be coming from, instead they try to create something from nothing and it pretty much stays nothing. The beauty of latching onto future technologies is that the created pairs of words are sometimes still there to be had, +plus the bonus of watching and reading about those technologies evolving long before they move into the commercial sector.

Domaining has been just a long-term savings plan for me, money that I would have just frittered away otherwise. I've yet to meet a creative or artistic type that was ever any good at bookkeeping

Just like any other investment or hobby, you have to believe in the product you are spending money on, or you should anyways.

For instance, I don’t believe in Crypto currencies, I bought like a total of four Crypto-Token domains , all hand reg just to take a shot at a sale, I could careless about that industry, so in essence, I really shouldnt even have spent the 6.99 reg fee for the names

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back