NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
Posting in the newbies forum as I would consider myself a newbie.

I have had an interest in domain names for a while, but could only dream of making sales of $x,xxx+.

In this day and age and with the lack of available .com/.net etc domain names, do you think it's possible for someone like me to get involved in the industry?

I'm not in any way looking to make a living out of this, but it would be nice to earn a few bucks here and there.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I see that everyone is talking about buying domains and reselling them for cash in these forums. I really have never thought of this as a business. I am new to all of this. I just bought my first domain threw NAMELYWEB and it was 2.99 with the coupon code IAMCHEAP. Should I purchase multiple domains and try to sell them or is this an expensive price and not worth buying?
$2.99 is dirt cheap for a domain name, so if you can find anything half decent that you feel you can sell on for a profit (whether it be a $5 profit or $xxxx, go for it. We all have to start somewhere :)

•••
well I can make up the name its not like I have to pick them. Ill try and make some good ones while the coupon code still works then since i can use still! thanks!

•••
1. Spend time searching for godaddy coupons. Sure, you'll spend just as much time complaining about their service later, and you could use the time chasing coupons doing silly stuff like research, but a 2.99 coupon is a 2.99 coupon.

2. Think of two or three popular words and throw them together.
For example: 'Cloud' is popular. So is 'Bitcoin'. And everybody likes pizza. So why not register cloudbitcoinbpizza.com and cover all your bases at once?

3. Don't worry about grammar or proper use of plural vs singular. 'BuyGarbagesOnline.com' makes perfect sense and could be worth millions.

4. Trademarks, schmademarks. Were you able to register 'NikeIphonecases.com'? Good for you! It's a surefire winner, and anyone who says "trademark issues" is just a H8R who wishes they had thought of it first.

5. If the unthinkable happens and the domains you registered 11 months ago didn't sell, go on various domain forums / ebay and unload them for whatever you can get in order to keep going. Maybe a package deal for cloudbitcoinbpizza.com, BuyGarbagesOnline.com, NikeIphonecases.com and a triple-hyphenated domain to be named later. Sell all of them for $4 and after paypal fees you'll have enough left to buy a new domain that might make you rich - as long as you can find a $2.99 godaddy coupon!

Wow....Excellent Theory :)

Its the pulse of newbie domainer.... hahaha

BTW BuyGarbagesOnline.com is still available :)

•••
•••
"Godaddy VP caught bidding against customers" LOL :D

•••
First, set aside a bunch of money that you will surely lose. Next, ignore all extensions except .com. Last, buy quality not quantity. But since you're new, you don't know what quality is...enter you're empty wallet and shattered dreams B-)
Keith, I bet you hadn't seen my PM probably due to being inundated with large volume of emails. Please check it out! Thanks!

•••
to start with I'd say stay away from brandables. Selling domains is hard work. Selling brandables is close to impossible (for newbies at least).

•••
Have you figured out the kind of niche you would like to engage with.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back