IT.COM

How to Sell Domains Fast - Marketplace or Own Site

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JamesCrew

Established Member
Impact
Hi mates,

So after investing in more than 20 domains, I am desperately trying to sell couple of those since February 2015, but have yet to see any positive response.

I have tried the old 'Email to Potential Buyer' method but with no success. So now I am seriously thinking to launch my very own website with my domains listed for sale there.

But before I do that, I would like to know what you guys think would be a better and faster (not to mention more profitable) approach for selling domains?

I have other option of listing my domains to marketplaces like SEDO, Afternic and etc.. Have already done that last month, lets see what happens. But what I was thinking, would launching my domain selling website be a more direct method to attract buyers for the right price?

Would really appreciate your input mates. I am just about to lose my patience if I don't sell something fast, lol...

Good day,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let try Godaddy 7 day auction and Flippa premium if you have really good names!
Good luck to you!

•••
Selling domains fast generally doesn't lead to maximum ROI. So you have to decide what type of seller you are...

A) Sell more domains at lower pricing, domain forums, flippa etc... more work, less profit margin, can you continue to restock your inventory with the same quality if you let a quality domain go cheap? If so flip away, if not then over time the quality of your portfolio will continue to deteriorate and eventually dry up the sales machine as it's not as easy today to replace quality as it was 10+ years ago due to increased drop competition.

B) List your domains at Sedo, Afternic/GoDaddy, DomainNameSales, Your Own Site, etc... and be patient on offers. Basically pick quality domains with a business use and get them into all the distribution channels so the end users knock on your door first. A domain isn't worth what the first buyer will pay for it a domain is worth what the optimum end user will pay for it which generally can't be rushed. So basically Quality Domains/Distribution Channels brings optimum leads without sending one email. Personally this model has worked for me for 12+ years.

Could also combo the 2 methods. Prune your portfolio and flip the junk and be patient on the gems.

If ya wanna keep the question to use your own site or Sedo I would say for a beginner go Sedo as there is a trust factor there. If your willing to forfeit short term gain for long term gain then redirect all your domains to your own site. Your own site should look professional and anything you can add to instill confidence helps SSL, Escrow banner, SiteLock Malware Scanner etc... Having personal info on a buyer definitely helps in research/negotiations.

Most leads come direct from the parked page so whether ya use Sedo, Your Own Site, Your Own Sales Pages etc... pick parking landers or sales pages that make it obvious it's for sale as a x,xxx-xx,xxx sale trumps a few bucks in parking income. On Sedo I would go with the "Sales Crush" lander.

Last edited:
•••
@JamesCrew

I sell 50% of my sold domains by listing them on GoDaddy as make offer 90 day sales with a minimum offer price of $999 (to avoid the time-wasters). There are a lot of eye-balls over on GoDaddy. It's the best advice I can give any domainer wanting to make some sales.

PS: The 90 days is just the auction period. It can still take days, weeks, months, years to sell them. I know it's a cliche, but you really do need to have domains that users (not domainers) like and want. How do you know you have these kinds of domains (since you haven't sold any yet)?

Only the very best Fog/IoT domains will ever sell for good money. I would have imagined all the great domains were taken years ago. You should be looking for the next trend, imho, and expect to wait years for sales. Dictionary nouns and verbs will always sell well.

Last edited:
•••
hello to all!!
i'm not an expert domain seller but i wanna try to help and improve my skills too.
i follow domains by 5 years and i always focused my goal on find domain with traffic for parking revenues.
In those years i've made over 7k$ from parking but i've sold around 5 names with my top sale 100$ lol.
i'm starting during last months trying to increase my profit, learning how to sell domains..
i've already tried all the major marketplace and so on but it seem i've very low success.
I know my names are not great keywords and mostly of my names are not COM and not NET domains so they are very hard to be found on markeplace with tons of domains.
However i have noticed that my domains are not getting any visit and the few i've sold are bought via BIN as the first visitor arrive.

From this i think that exposure is the most important things and it is also not hard to be understood, like other people say there are tons of domains on sale and many time people do not know how to buy it, especially endusers.

Patience is surely needed in order to maximize the ROI but from my experience i've way to think that the best things to do in order to sell a name is working on it trying to let people know that this name is "on sale now".

I know there are tons of way to increase potential buyer towards our name so i think this is the way to go if we want to sell names that buyers are not directly searching (like great keywords name).

I'm here to discuss on this if someone think that this is not the best way to sell a name.
(obviously i agree if the name is going to sell for 50$ and we spend more than 10 hours to work on it, it will be good to learn the process and familiarize with it, or earning reputation but we will finish our monwey before to finish our life if we only do that)
last but not least, when i write work on it i mean trying to bring more potential buyer to our name and not developping it.

•••
I see far more sales volume at Godaddy than any other channel. That said Godaddy sales tend to not be of the $XXXX variety but in most cases $XXX and in recent months mostly low $XXX. Shorter domains which make sense for a business are more likely to sell. Most of my sales the last six months were 15 characters or less (excluding the TLD). Given that sales over $1000 are rare for me and only a small portion of the portfolio turns over annually, I don't view the acquisition and renewal costs of the new TLDs as worthy of investment.

•••
We sell on a lot of domains for various companies here in the UK and we do have success with emailing prospects and also on forums such as namepros.

Websites are obviously more appealing as they have a definable customer base and a recognisable revenue but we have recently sold:

mediasales.co.uk
stingray.co.uk
schoolsupplies.co.uk

We are currently marketing many more...

We have our own advice on selling at our resellmydomainname website which is a .com where you can also find our current list of domain names for sale.

•••
@pablohc86 - You are always going to be at a distinct disadvantage selling non .com domains. Only people who cannot afford the .com may buy a non .com domain. But most of the buyers will go for an inferior .com. I think your best bet for sales is via the For Sale link on the parking page. Send that enquiry preferably to a generic Domain For Sale page which you are hosting. You can do your marketing to potential end users and send them to that For Sale page. But I think it's always going to be a struggle, with non .com domains. IMHO.

•••
I think both can be good. Your own website and others sales channels. Using both shouldn't hurt.

You just have to figure that certain websites will have more End Users and certain others will have Domainers. But not listing on the prominent marketplaces could be a mistake. An example is what recently has happened to me.

I have my own portfolio website and listed my names on their. BUT I did not list them on the more popular places such as Godaddy, Sedo etc. To make a long story short, I've received 4 offers through the Godaddy MAKE OFFER section within the last 2 weeks.

If I had chose not to put them on there, would I have gotten those offers? Who knows, probably not.

So I believe combining both strategies couldn't hurt.

-Omar

•••
I think that easy sell domains (even with high traffic) via brokers and such markets like Sedo, SnapNames, Afternic , etc. Because that list your domains on your own site you will need time & money on hosting, other services applicable to the site and of course good advertising that have good traffic and authority on the Internet.

•••
@Omar Negron & @pablohc86 - You nowadays can list your domains on Afternic, and they will show up on both Afternic & GoDaddy. That's 2 market places with one listing. It doesn't work the other way around.

•••
@Omar Negron & @pablohc86 - You nowadays can list your domains on Afternic, and they will show up on both Afternic & GoDaddy. That's 2 market places with one listing. It doesn't work the other way around.
wow, really thanks for this information.
what are the requirements to do this? simply having an afternic account and selecting to put the name on both listing?
if u have a link and you wanna share i'll glad to read it. i'm quite busy these days to research by my own.
your help will be appreciated a lot

•••
@stub - I heard if you list via Afternic, you would have to list it at a BUY IT NOW price though. Is that correct? This way, it would be listed as a premium listing via the Godaddy platform? (premium lsitings must have a buy it now price)

-Omar

•••
@Omar Negron - I'm checking that with my GoDaddy Account Manager

•••
First, sorry for not being here for some time. Was busy with some personal stuff along with my site development. The good news is the site is 80% done. So hopefully it will be live by next week or so.

@SpareDomains thanks for your response mate.

I am the type of a seller who can wait for the right deal. So forums, flippa, ebay may definitely not for me (at least not now.)

@stub nice to have your input mate. I recently added my names to Afternic so let's say I am already onboard with these two platforms (plus SEDO as well.) Let's see what happens. Also, would it be O.K. if you will share what type of domains you normally successfully sell on GD Auction (or may be just give us a hint, lol?)

@pablohc86 thanks for your participation, appreciate it.

Totally agree with you on the 'exposure' part. That is exactly why I am developing my own site and will market it to get some good target/potential traffic.

@Omar Negron thanks for stopping by mate. Nice input. I have also submitted domains to marketplaces so wish me luck too, lol.

PS: I would mention it again here that we are all know that there are 'liquid domains' out there that can be instantly sold to small business owners. I still haven't got any response in this regard from any namepros member here. Hope my question makes sense.

•••
@JamesCrew - There is no common theme running through my sales, except they are always .com and I stay away from long tail domains, so they are usually 2 words with a maximum length of 12 chars excluding the .com ext.

•••
@JamesCrew - There is no common theme running through my sales, except they are always .com and I stay away from long tail domains, so they are usually 2 words with a maximum length of 12 chars excluding the .com ext.

Nice, care to share which niche/category you sell more as compared to others (means, small business domains, tech domains etc.?)

•••
Liquid domains are usually 2-5 char .com (all LLLLL or all NNNNN). But you still have to do your research to find a buyer for them. The 5 char LLLLL are the least liquid of these.

•••
I would say they are mostly going to small businesses.

•••
great information here !!! I strongly believe and experienced that patience and positivity is most important thing here. I bought almost 15 domains in feb and till last week there was not a single sell.
And last week I sold a domain for 200$ which was bought for 3$.

Good Luck Every One !!!!!!
Cheerssss !!!!

•••
Hi mates,

So after investing in more than 20 domains, I am desperately trying to sell couple of those since February 2015, but have yet to see any positive response.

I have tried the old 'Email to Potential Buyer' method but with no success. So now I am seriously thinking to launch my very own website with my domains listed for sale there.

But before I do that, I would like to know what you guys think would be a better and faster (not to mention more profitable) approach for selling domains?

I have other option of listing my domains to marketplaces like SEDO, Afternic and etc.. Have already done that last month, lets see what happens. But what I was thinking, would launching my domain selling website be a more direct method to attract buyers for the right price?

Would really appreciate your input mates. I am just about to lose my patience if I don't sell something fast, lol...

Good day,
Selling domains is a harsh game. If you need to desperately try to sell them, they're not worth the time. If they're half decent you could flip them for more than reg fee.

Domains that sell fast are liquid domains, like short numerics (3-5Ns dot coms), 3-5 letter dot coms, one-word <8 letter noun or verb dot coms, etc.

For illiquid domains if you sell them fast you might not get the best price. Sell them right, to the right buyer. That can take months or even years.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back