Dynadot

How to Sell Domains Fast - Marketplace or Own Site

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JamesCrew

Established Member
Impact
Hi mates,

So after investing in more than 20 domains, I am desperately trying to sell couple of those since February 2015, but have yet to see any positive response.

I have tried the old 'Email to Potential Buyer' method but with no success. So now I am seriously thinking to launch my very own website with my domains listed for sale there.

But before I do that, I would like to know what you guys think would be a better and faster (not to mention more profitable) approach for selling domains?

I have other option of listing my domains to marketplaces like SEDO, Afternic and etc.. Have already done that last month, lets see what happens. But what I was thinking, would launching my domain selling website be a more direct method to attract buyers for the right price?

Would really appreciate your input mates. I am just about to lose my patience if I don't sell something fast, lol...

Good day,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you seem this thread?
https://www.namepros.com/threads/flippa-domain-sales-page.858126/

List your names over there. You can choose the free option. When you're done, send us the link and I am POSITIVE that you will receive feedback (and potentially offers while the names are listed for sale). It wont cost you a cent.

Also......... read read read read read............ I cant stress it enough. READ. Many of us spend many hours reading and learning and reading and listening to podcasts and the experts here and elsewhere while the majority of folks are sleeping. Sometimes I get 3 hours of sleep between taking care of my kids and reading about this industry.

You will never stop learning, which pretty much goes for any industry.

Good luck!

•••
@Omar Negron - I'm checking that with my GoDaddy Account Manager

•••
@JamesCrew - There is no common theme running through my sales, except they are always .com and I stay away from long tail domains, so they are usually 2 words with a maximum length of 12 chars excluding the .com ext.

•••
I would say they are mostly going to small businesses.

•••
Hi mates,

So after investing in more than 20 domains, I am desperately trying to sell couple of those since February 2015, but have yet to see any positive response.

I have tried the old 'Email to Potential Buyer' method but with no success. So now I am seriously thinking to launch my very own website with my domains listed for sale there.

But before I do that, I would like to know what you guys think would be a better and faster (not to mention more profitable) approach for selling domains?

I have other option of listing my domains to marketplaces like SEDO, Afternic and etc.. Have already done that last month, lets see what happens. But what I was thinking, would launching my domain selling website be a more direct method to attract buyers for the right price?

Would really appreciate your input mates. I am just about to lose my patience if I don't sell something fast, lol...

Good day,
Selling domains is a harsh game. If you need to desperately try to sell them, they're not worth the time. If they're half decent you could flip them for more than reg fee.

Domains that sell fast are liquid domains, like short numerics (3-5Ns dot coms), 3-5 letter dot coms, one-word <8 letter noun or verb dot coms, etc.

For illiquid domains if you sell them fast you might not get the best price. Sell them right, to the right buyer. That can take months or even years.

•••
Appreciate all for your valuable participation.

I know domaining is a game of patience and I am good with it. So I can wait for months or years for the big and right sale. It's not about not being patient, to me it's about not being successful after so many months. I can PM couple of my domains to senior members here to see if I am going on the right direction with buying the right domain names. Just let me know if you wish to guide me about my domain route.

The reason I do not want to list domains in forums is because normally there are no end users here and to tell you the truth, I have certain value for my domains and in forums, one can not expect a three or four figure sale that often. So selling for $5 or $20 is obviously not in my plan.

@sdsinc I have re-started buying domains back in August 2014 and that makes eight months "with no sale". Not a single sale. That's what worries me. And to give you a slight idea about the types of domains I have, I usually go with 2-3 word generic domains (example: FogDataHub). I normally pick tech related domains. Also have couple of brandables and small biz domains but they represent only 15% of my 20+ domains.

Now to the main point. When I said "selling domains fast", I meant selling small business domains. I once read a blog in which people were selling such domains on a weekly basis (think of domains related to dentist, contractors, plumbers & etc.) So that is why I was asking if there are any certain techniques to pitch these domains to potential buyers for some quick sales.

PS: I listed five domains on eBay four days ago. No response till date. May be that's because I have listed few low profile domains, but my intent was just to test ebay domain market. Let's wait and watch.

•••
keep in mind thta a place like ebay offers you loads of exposure right off bat.. I don't mean 100 visits a day etc.. but even 10 a day is probably way more than you can generate from yoru own website.. at least before its well advertized etc..

so ebay is a real easy way. but again, how much you get depends on quality of nqame

to increase that visaitor count and exposure way up, you can simply post it on here too

•••
For those who said that bringing traffic to my domain site would be additional work. I know a lot about SEO (was an on-job professional SEO till 2014) so as far as it goes to bringing traffic to my own domain selling website, I am pretty sure that wouldn't be an obstacle. But the point I am more convinced by setting up my own domain marketplace is because it would give me an added exposure in the field. And besides, one must simply have an online presence to backup its brand and to gain authority. Am I right?

The way I am thinking is that most business/startups don't have the basic idea how to select a domain name. So instead of randomly typing/searching in domains, there is a great possibility that they would just search generic keywords like "buy startup domains, buy company domains, small business domains, and etc.".

My estimations here are that whether or not I have a domain for them but I would still get some exposure. And once I get a lead from them about their domain requirement, I can act as a domain broker and buy the domain for my client for them. This would be a two-way profit, domain brokering and selling, lol. Sounds like a plan!!!

•••
Hi
I have been doing domains now for 3 years and have made some good sales and some poor ones,take no notice of appraisal site's for example valuate etc it is what the buyer will pay you that is the worth.
I would say namepros, ebay and even facebook for quick low sales,if you have a high value domain which I mean strong keyword or L,LL,LLL I would say flippa,sedo etc.
I have a website that already has the platform for selling domains and websites,but I have been told to market it would cost me a hell of alot of money, and I work with web developers, that is why I and trying to sell it at present.
Good luck with your Domains I hope you have luck in selling them.
But remember it is like selling online property sometimes you have to just take the hit!

Simon

•••
Just to put things in perspective...

Last week I sold a domain for $500, that I initially registered in 2006. So it's been a whole 9 years between registration and ultimate sale to an end user.

You must be wondering, why keep a domain that long, is this because I have faith ? Actually I was thinking that the domain might never sell. But I normally always pick domains that I know I could use if they don't sell. Thus I always have a few good domains available in the inventory whenever I need to start a new project (I like to stockpile domains for future use).
So I always advise people to buy domains in industries/niches they are familiar with. So you can think like an end user.

You say you registered dentist- and limo-related, but I assume you are not a dentist or don't run a limo business either. So these domains are not assets you can use. These names are worthless if you can't find a buyer. There is no plan B.

faith is good.

there is nothing wrong with knowing your niche.

this obviously cannot apply to vr. cause no one knows vr. even delvelopers and companeis are just scratching surface.. so imagine what we are doing.

u do not haqve to know aqbout hotelling to sell hotels.com

most niches are just general knowledge of all thingsw life related. no need to drive a limo to know about limo service.

imo

•••
Hi mates,

Good day,

There is really no true quick way to sell domains but you can try listing on SEDO, Afternic (as u have done) and also try listing on ebay.

Good luck

•••
@alcy - Nope. You can set one up right away.

•••
There is no such thing called "Get Rich Fast" selling domain names. You have to be patient.
we bought a domain name on ebay a year ago for $25 ,we have just sold the domain name on sedo
for 30k.Please be patient. Don't rush to give away your domains.
Most domains with .de extension sell faster on sedo.One letter domain sells faster. Chinese clients
buy all the numeric like 123.com .
The game on sedo is as follow: let say a domain name with .com sells for $300k 2days ago.
If you can ,register the same domain name with .de and put it back on sedo.The domain will sell in less
than a week. Because the .com buyer will come back to get the other extensions.
Good Luck

•••
Ever notice that a lot of lottery winners end up filing for bankruptcy? Ever notice that a lot of kids who's parents left them money, go broke?? This is because they never 'learned' the experience of earning money, they were just handed it.

I take the same perspective on selling. If your not willing to start small, then you will miss out on 'learning' and the experience what comes with each transaction. Example.. if you had already been selling on ebay or flippa you would gain the 'experience' and confidence from each sale.

Do you know the tips and tricks of selling on ebay or flippa? NO, NO you don't, because your pride won't let you experience it. You have convinced yourself that you couldn't gain anything from starting small, however you have missed out on the important part.... experience. And hence why you created this tread and don't have a single sale yet.

My point is, if your not willing to gain the experience needed to succeed, then don't be surprised when you lack the knowledge, confidence, and reputation.... and instead rely on using 'hope' to sell your domains.

Good examples mate, but I don't see how you get the impression of me taken over by my pride, or the idea I am not willing to start small. But despite these examples, the domain industry is different and unpredictable. That's what I know. One can purchase a $2 domain and sell it for over $10,000 and even $40,000 in just a matter of few months. So estimations and doing things based on what we are getting isn't always a good strategy. I would give an example here of Shane of Flippa who purchased a domain from another fellow for $120 and sold it for $10,000 in only a month. So things are mostly unpredictable.

But that doesn't mean every domain can be sold for that price. Nope. I understand there are certain metrics a domain should have to get these kind of prices. Again, hoping to sell a domain desperately even for peanuts is most certainly not my plan. I can wait and 'learn', instead of 'lose' and whine.

I have not sold anything on ebay or flippa because I know a little about these markets. These are not end-user markets (may be Flippa but for average domains, one can only expect a reseller price.) But like I said, just because I haven't used any platform, that doesn't mean I don't have any knowledge about them.

As far as experience goes, it follows the quality of knowledge and applied practice. That is exactly the reason why I have opened this thread, to get the knowledge from senior members here about selling domains. And yet you bring in my pride in between, lol.

I would say the same thing about the definition of 'starting small.' It's different for everyone. For others may be $20 or $50 sale is a good start. Buy hey, I just happen to have my own goals set differently than others, and believe me I have stats to back my goals, regardless I am a newbie. So pride has nothing to do with it my friend, it is general knowledge and learning. And that's what I am still digging here and there.

A bit off topic but I think it may be helpful to mention here. Just the other day I was reading a thread from a newbie here asking how he can start domain selling. The majority of replies were based on telling him to 'lose money and learn yourself.' Interesting how people avoided to share the basic knowledge with that newbie and instead of guiding and answering the question, they suggested him to "go make mistakes and find out." I don't know what was the logic behind that but that's not the answer he was looking for or I would have given.

I do admit that people do make mistakes during the process and one can not teach anyone everything altogether, but there's something that differentiates professionals from newbies, and that is their experience. They can help newbies by guiding them about the mistakes they had made when they were learning. So the new comers can avoid these mistakes which are avoidable, but I was surprised to see the majority of replies were only encouraging that newbie to go make mistakes. Weird but true.

The reason for opening this thread was not to receive tips or secret domain selling techniques from pros at all . The reason was to know about what senior sellers think should be a good plan to start the process.

Cheers,

PS: I am getting a feeling that the topic of my opened thread was different than the replies it is receiving now.

•••
Hi mates,

Good day,

Read as much as you can from here.

Listen to every single podcast from DomainSherpa.com Then listen to them again.

Search NameBio.com and DNPric.es for recent sales similar to your names.

Best of luck to you!

•••
Really, you know nothing about domaining. Not only you didn't have sales, but you didn't care to read this forum well to understand basics.. ABC!

Facebook is BAD example. Totally wrong example.
There is no comparison in terms of sale and strategy between:
1) Domain
2) Site and domain aka developed domain (with site sitting on a valuable domain)
3) Good site (and social networks are very promising in liquidating) sitting on ANY domain.

Please, swallow your pride and read the forum well.

Wow. That is rude and ignorant of you mate. Not only have you not taken the time to read my post carefully and try to understand it, but you are also treating me like I have said something totally illogical here.

I would suggested you read my post again "carefully". It has nothing to do with your domaining, developed sites on domains or social networks. I just shared an example how businesses should have plans before they are actually started and during the process, no matter if it's a website or domain buying/selling.

As far as knowing the basics of domaining, I don't want to argue about that, because I have been studying domaining since 2009 and believe me I know every 'type' of domainers, who talk big and know less to nothing when it comes to domaining. So, no comments on that. (No offense meant to anyone.) That is why I am learning things from here and there and bringing it down to a workable plan.

As you have brought it up, I have been engaged in this community more than you can think. Wanna know how? Check your post count and mine, then check the duration of your signup and mine on this forum. See the difference!

Cheers,

•••
The way to sell your domaims fast is to list them on a marketplace with end users.. Go daddy, Flippa, Sedo, etc.. If you want to sell your domains even faster buy a premium upgrade for $250 on Flippa.

It's better to pay for the advice you can afford then to expect it for free...

Thanks for dropping by mate.

That's just another random comment my friend, to list domains on marketplaces, ebay, flippa, buy upgrades.

BTW, have you ever listed a domain and bought an upgrade from Flippa? How was your experience on Flippat? What type of domain was it? Was it sold for your expected price?

Paying someone for the advice isn't bad, but as long as you know who you are paying and taking advice from! Ain't that right mate?

Thanks and keep em coming.

•••
hello to all!!
i'm not an expert domain seller but i wanna try to help and improve my skills too.
i follow domains by 5 years and i always focused my goal on find domain with traffic for parking revenues.
In those years i've made over 7k$ from parking but i've sold around 5 names with my top sale 100$ lol.
i'm starting during last months trying to increase my profit, learning how to sell domains..
i've already tried all the major marketplace and so on but it seem i've very low success.
I know my names are not great keywords and mostly of my names are not COM and not NET domains so they are very hard to be found on markeplace with tons of domains.
However i have noticed that my domains are not getting any visit and the few i've sold are bought via BIN as the first visitor arrive.

From this i think that exposure is the most important things and it is also not hard to be understood, like other people say there are tons of domains on sale and many time people do not know how to buy it, especially endusers.

Patience is surely needed in order to maximize the ROI but from my experience i've way to think that the best things to do in order to sell a name is working on it trying to let people know that this name is "on sale now".

I know there are tons of way to increase potential buyer towards our name so i think this is the way to go if we want to sell names that buyers are not directly searching (like great keywords name).

I'm here to discuss on this if someone think that this is not the best way to sell a name.
(obviously i agree if the name is going to sell for 50$ and we spend more than 10 hours to work on it, it will be good to learn the process and familiarize with it, or earning reputation but we will finish our monwey before to finish our life if we only do that)
last but not least, when i write work on it i mean trying to bring more potential buyer to our name and not developping it.

•••
I think both can be good. Your own website and others sales channels. Using both shouldn't hurt.

You just have to figure that certain websites will have more End Users and certain others will have Domainers. But not listing on the prominent marketplaces could be a mistake. An example is what recently has happened to me.

I have my own portfolio website and listed my names on their. BUT I did not list them on the more popular places such as Godaddy, Sedo etc. To make a long story short, I've received 4 offers through the Godaddy MAKE OFFER section within the last 2 weeks.

If I had chose not to put them on there, would I have gotten those offers? Who knows, probably not.

So I believe combining both strategies couldn't hurt.

-Omar

•••
@Omar Negron & @pablohc86 - You nowadays can list your domains on Afternic, and they will show up on both Afternic & GoDaddy. That's 2 market places with one listing. It doesn't work the other way around.

•••
Liquid domains are usually 2-5 char .com (all LLLLL or all NNNNN). But you still have to do your research to find a buyer for them. The 5 char LLLLL are the least liquid of these.

•••
great information here !!! I strongly believe and experienced that patience and positivity is most important thing here. I bought almost 15 domains in feb and till last week there was not a single sell.
And last week I sold a domain for 200$ which was bought for 3$.

Good Luck Every One !!!!!!
Cheerssss !!!!

•••
@NameFit very well said, can't disagree with you there. But I am a little dishearted by having no sales at all for months (not to mention the outreach I started in February and got no results.) But like I said, even my small business domains didn't receive any response when I outreached those (one was dentist related and another was limo related).

I see people here sharing their success stories how they sold their first domain in only a matter of few weeks. I believe my domains are not that bad if they aren't of premium quality, but still, would like to know what I am missing. I am O.K. withe the waiting part like I mentioned earlier, it's just that I need something to justify that I am going on the right direction and so far, I have no results to prove that

Second thing, I have read here most senior domainers telling members to buy 'domains that can be sold'. Can anyone point which type of domains are those? I mean either they are brandables, small business, generics or etc.? (Not asking about where to get these domains as I figure these are going to be from dropped domains; right!) I want to learn which domains have the potential to be sold instantly (or in a months period.)

@cocaseco Thanks for your response. I am not a wholesaler at all and I don't plan to be one.

@alcy Thanks for dropping by. That's exactly why I have listed couple of domains on eBay to test how the site works for domains. Until now I have only read mixed 50/50 reviews of members here about selling domains on eBay.

•••
Have you tried GoDaddy's 7 Day Auction format?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back