Dynadot

question How to sell .com to .net owners ?

NameSilo
Watch

poietu

Established Member
Impact
Hi! I'm new in the domain business. I'm trying to find a thread about selling the .com domain to .net domain owners (or other TLDs). I'm trying to specialize in that niche. Does it worth it ? It's already saturated ? I need some advices in this direction.

Specific case:
I bought makkapack.com. There is a company in Egypt who owns makkapack.net and makkapack.org (which redirects you to .net).
Are there any methods to estimate how much would they be willing to pay for the .com ? Maybe finding the fiscal value of the company (how ?) or any other tips would be great !!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In your experience what's the selling percent in this "Migrate from other TLD to .com" niche ? Because I'm thinking it's a niche where you can buy many domains and sell them with a low price. So I need a positive financial balance. I'm targeting a Low-xxx to Low-xxxx price range depending on the size of the company and the country. Also, I'm NOT targeting big companies that could sue me or win the domain in court.

I'm thinking of a starting mail to convince them the benefits of the .com domain:
-unicity
-make the company more trustful
-good SEO
-no extension misunderstandings
-avoid other people take the .com and create conflicts or use it with bad intentions

Are they good arguments ? Any other ideas ?

Ty!

•••
You are in a low enough price range that you shouldn't really need much of a pitch to sell a .COM to a .NET owner. .COM is just superior.

I think the issue you are going to run into with this business model is finding a steady supply of available .COM where the .NET is developed and is a good potential end user.

Brad

•••
Ty! Any advice regarding the specific case with the Egyptian company (makkapack.net)? Any tips in estimating the price the companies would pay for the .com ?

•••
Any advice regarding the specific case with the Egyptian company?
Hi, perhaps something to consider is how generic is 'makka' when paired with 'pack' and already run as a business? It could be problematic approaching companies with their own name, especially if your version was registered after their business was established. The company you speak of have had a site since 2020, and your name looks to have been regged very recently.

Also consider that trademarks are often area specific, although can be effective wherever the company does business.

I'm not an expert, and it's entirely up to you what you do, but this one looks to me to be a bit of a grey area - somewhere between generic and a possibly protectable brand name.

I'd argue it's generic and sit on it and see if they come along to buy it.

I'm NOT targeting big companies that could sue me or win the domain in court.
They don't have to be big.

Last edited:
•••
I've done this strategy. You need an edge. You would be surprised how many don't care about the .com

•••
Every domainer know this strategy. Good luck!

•••
Hi

all replies below make good points to note
I think the issue you are going to run into with this business model is finding a steady supply of available .COM where the .NET is developed and is a good potential end user.

It could be problematic approaching companies with their own name, especially if your version was registered after their business was established.

You would be surprised how many don't care about the .com

Every domainer know this strategy. Good luck!

imo...

•••
So I became a domainer :) ty for the advices!

•••
Ty

Last edited:
•••
IMO and as many users told earlier as well, the person/business who is settled on .net or any other TLD than .com might be not interested in .COM , It depends on the will not the fiscal numbers.
There are plenty of business out there in the world, .COM is only necessary for them if online presence impact their business/drives their business.

When they have created a website just to write one on their visiting card OR show the about us page, chances are very low for the conversion.

Best Of Luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back