IT.COM

advice How to proceed on this outbound.

NameSilo
Watch

DeliDomains

OswinEstablished Member
Impact
I have a generic two word domain XX.com with a Buy now at $1880
did some outbound to a business with the same domain name but with a hyphen X-X.com, No Trademarks

His initial offer was $500, since there was not too much scope in this niche I gave him a discounted price of $1480. He came back saying, I was asking a lot and I cannot sell or no one else would buy the domain as he owns the xxLLP company. Said I would have spent less that $100 for the domain and now trying to sell it for a profit. either he can take his now offer of $600 or not sell the domain at all.

I replied that he lost a good deal and he cannot stop others from starting a company or buying the domain as there was no trademarks and it was a generic two word domain. Mentioned he is loosing out on the type traffic and email errors.

Now huffing and puffing has come back with an offer of $1000, how do I proceed on this deal.

A) Sell at $1000
B) Stick to by buy now of $1880
C) Increase my Buy Now

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd say it just depends on how good the domain is. If he's right and you won't be able to sell it to anyone else, don't risk it and go for it.

You know the quality better.

•••
IMO, negotiating means both sides should give up something. So, since he's obviously interested and has come up in his initial offer; how many other parties may or may not be a prospect; and keeping in mind 'you' reached out to him'; I'd tell him 'You'll agree to $1500 (or a bit less) for the next 24 hours'. If he wants it, he'll pay. And if he doesn't, move on. jmo.

•••
I guess it depends if you feel the domain can/will sell elsewhere vs how much effort/time on your part that would require. If you are confident, then stick to your guns, but as Hawkeye says, its a negotiation so both sides should bend a bit.

•••
I would take the $1000 and move on: Great ROI, Cash in hand, end of claims and possible legal ramifications. Done.

•••
Money in hand is always good.
What's holding me back is the scare tactics he used into selling the domain to him.

•••
Take the $1k and move on. He might be right, he may be the only buyer and could string you along for months or even walk away. That happened to me.

Last edited:
•••
As #Hawkeye said - I'd tell him 'You'll agree to $1500 (or a bit less) for the next 24 hours'. If he wants it, he'll pay. And if he doesn't act in 24hrs, DON'T Move ON! Just send him the link with the lowered price tag - $1000!!!!!

•••
•••
Majority here say take the money....

•••
Option A.

You've already offered him a BIN of $1480. If you go back to $1880 (option B) or an increase (option C), it is likely that the guy will walk. Remember, you reached out to him, and not the other way around.

Take the $1000, invest in a few solid .coms, sell those, rinse, repeat.

•••
I will do as the wise men say, Thank you guys...

•••
•••
It depends entirely on the domain .. my gut tells me you might want to take it .. but it's impossible to give accurate advice without knowing the domain.

Beyond that you need to be aware that you are 100% wrong when it comes to trademarks. Whether someone has a trademark or not has absolutely NOTHING to do with if they registered it. Registration only makes a TM clearer and easier to defend .. but the ONLY thing that counts when it comes to trademarks is USAGE.

If this guy is using the x-y.com domain .. then chance are extremely strong that he's using "x y" in business. Which therefore does mean he has an active and legitimate trademark claim on the "X Y" term.

So you might want to count your lucky stars this person doesn't really know how trademarks work, otherwise he could go after you for the domain .. particularly since you have outbound to him .. which could easily be seen as effective proof you're trying to profit on his trademark by trying to sell it to him.

Trademarks can get a lot more complex depending on the specifics .. but without any more information, consider that you are 95% infringing on his trademark at this point after reaching out to him.

•••
So you might want to count your lucky stars this person doesn't really know how trademarks work

I think this guy knows how trademarks work, he also knows how much filing fees and lawyer billings cost.

•••
I think this guy knows how trademarks work, he also knows how much filing fees and lawyer billings cost.

lol .. that's entirely possible as well .. either way .. if it was me .. I'd offload this hot potato ASAP given the $1000 opportunity (if $1000 was indeed even a half-decent profit)

Again though .. impossible to say 100% without knowing the exact domain ... @DeliDomains .. you're the only person who can really understand what to do the most .. the rest of us are just guessing.

•••
Don't pull too much ... That's how most of the deals broken. If domain is average domain better go for 1000$ as there may not be many end users..

If you miss now , you may end up in not getting offers in future if they changed mind..

Thanks,
Sumeeth

•••
It is good to see that the majority here advised you sell the domain. I definitely would have as well especially if is a nice margin and then take some of that money for your business and reinvest it in more domains. The key is to keep buying and selling, of course you need to get good at buying the right domains in order to make a profit.

At first you will go 0 for 10 but eventually get to 1 for 10, 2 for 10 and even 3 for 10. Keep an eye on your profits and as long as you are in the green keep on buying more quality names. Some names will sell quick and others will take time but remember no matter what, you have 1 year to make a profit on your investment and at the end of the year depending on how many inquiries a name received or how you feel about the name you can make another year investment.

- Will

•••
I think the potential buyer tried some tactics to scare you....and again realised it's value...

Like some mentioned above both parties should step down a bit to meet at a point where it is acceptable for both...

Without changing our thoughts there is no thing called negotiation...

I think it is still gives good profit for you at 1k...
My suggestion to counter with 1200/1300 and then be ready to accept 1k..

Like you mentioned it is suitable for this company...and you might have to wait again to get good deal...think about "wait" part ;)

Good luck.

•••
It depends entirely on the domain .. my gut tells me you might want to take it .. but it's impossible to give accurate advice without knowing the domain.

Beyond that you need to be aware that you are 100% wrong when it comes to trademarks. Whether someone has a trademark or not has absolutely NOTHING to do with if they registered it. Registration only makes a TM clearer and easier to defend .. but the ONLY thing that counts when it comes to trademarks is USAGE.

If this guy is using the x-y.com domain .. then chance are extremely strong that he's using "x y" in business. Which therefore does mean he has an active and legitimate trademark claim on the "X Y" term.

So you might want to count your lucky stars this person doesn't really know how trademarks work, otherwise he could go after you for the domain .. particularly since you have outbound to him .. which could easily be seen as effective proof you're trying to profit on his trademark by trying to sell it to him.

Trademarks can get a lot more complex depending on the specifics .. but without any more information, consider that you are 95% infringing on his trademark at this point after reaching out to him.

Like I mentioned..these are two generic words and their is no registered trademark on them.
for example, Lets say I have CleanAir.com and the business uses Clean-Air.com and sell air purifiers, do you think I'm still infringing on those two word without trademarks?
If I too was selling air purifiers then that's a whole different debate.

•••
•••
I think the potential buyer tried some tactics to scare you....and again realised it's value...

Like some mentioned above both parties should step down a bit to meet at a point where it is acceptable for both...

Without changing our thoughts there is no thing called negotiation...

I think it is still gives good profit for you at 1k...
My suggestion to counter with 1200/1300 and then be ready to accept 1k..

Like you mentioned it is suitable for this company...and you might have to wait again to get good deal...think about "wait" part ;)

Good luck.

Because of the scare tactics used, I put this post up.
At first I didn't want to sell the domain and hike my price, after conversing here and thinking with a cool head, I guess we are here to do business and not show our attitude. I'm not the King here :)

A ROI of 3233% within a year is good, maybe if I waited I would have got more, but who knows.

•••
At first I didn't want to sell the domain and hike my price, after conversing here and thinking with a cool head, I guess we are here to do business and not show our attitude. I'm not the King here :)

A ROI of 3233% within a year is good, maybe if I waited I would have got more, but who knows.
What was the domain if you dont mind me asking?

•••

That's what I was saying thinking again can sometimes give us good points to consider..

Thats good ROI..

Don't delay the decision..

Good luck

•••
•••
Back